Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

Posted - August 28, 2018

Responses

That would mean the teachers would have to be bi-lingual. There aren't enough of them qualified to fill all of the schools. Also, what would be the second language?
      August 28, 2018 12:17 PM MDT

I hope whatever language the second may be, spelling is mandatory.  I didn't catch the Be-lingual until right this second. Sorry.  Now, about teachers... much to my dismay, kids are learning more from their computers and phones than interacting with their peers in a schooling setting.  The teachers would be what they carry in their pockets.  I did think about the second language issue when I posted this.
    I think the second language might be geographically dictated.  Ex: United States would have Spanish.  Upper United States perhaps French.  Maybe if we started learning two, as we multiply they would combine as would the french and so on.  Pretty soon it might be like Farsi.  The ball would be rolling and in no time we all would combine and stop the language barrier problem.  It seems a natural way to evolve.  The question remains, do we?

August 28, 2018 6:17 PM MDT

Our national language is English. If you’re going to live here learn to speak it. 
      August 28, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

Even though we do not have an official langue, the vast majority speak English. Therefore, I must agree with you.
      August 28, 2018 12:20 PM MDT

We don't have an official national language, as Element 99 said.  I do believe that English should be the primary language that everyone learns (and I mean everyone).  There are people who come to this country, live here for decades, and still cannot speak English with any proficiency.  I can't imagine becoming a citizen of a country and not being able to communicate in the language of that country.  I do believe that every school should teach a second language (of one's choice), and that it be taught beginning in elementary school when it is easiest to learn a language.  As children move to middle school, they can choose another language if they've become proficient in the original foreign language; same when reaching high school. 
      August 28, 2018 1:04 PM MDT

I agree, I wish I had paid more attention in my Spanish class but I didn't think I would ever need it. Silly me.
      August 28, 2018 1:16 PM MDT

I did take Spanish in school and I have several friends who speak the language so I would practice with them.  However, I'm not around any of them anymore, so I've lost a lot of it, but most f the time, I can manage well enough to get my thought across.
      August 28, 2018 2:06 PM MDT

If I went to Mexico, I would know enough to order a beer, a taco and where is the bathroom.
    What more do you need?
      August 28, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Not much! :)
      August 28, 2018 6:41 PM MDT

Taaaa Daaaaa!  What more in life do you need?  Especially in a foreign country?!!!  I agree 100 percent!!  Let's go to Mexicoooo!!!!
      August 29, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

OK!! You drive and I will pay for gas.
      August 30, 2018 12:07 PM MDT

I was wrong. We don’t habe an official language. English is by far the most spoken and should be learned by all who wish to live here.
      August 28, 2018 3:33 PM MDT

I agree 100%.
      August 28, 2018 6:33 PM MDT

You do not even know how much I agree with you.  It is one of my, wait.... probably my ONLY PET PEEVE!  I could write you a novel about how much this bothers me.  I posted this question because I was thinking globally and Ancient Aliens is on. (We record them.)  They were talking about how they couldn't communicate, blah, blah, blah.
    BUT I do agree with you a bizillion percent.  If I went to France, I'd learn French.  Mexico, I'd learn Spanish... even BEFORE I moved there.  Ugh!  Don't get me started.  It was a global thought! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2018 7:41 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

There should be a comma after the word "here".  It separates the two clauses of your sentence. 
      August 28, 2018 9:29 PM MDT

Get over it. 
      August 28, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

August 28, 2018 10:03 PM MDT

No.  That's how I feel.  I do believe that every high school grad should be proficient in English plus a language of their choice.  English should be the only mandatory language and should be mandatory for all..........children and adults.
      August 28, 2018 12:30 PM MDT

I want to learn Klingon.
      August 30, 2018 7:42 AM MDT

Go right ahead and tell the captain Thrifty said hi. 
      August 30, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

• People benefit from knowing more than one language; the U.S. is in the minority being a country where most of the population is monolingual. Bilingualism is good for brain development.

I don't think bilingualism in schools needs to be required, but I encourage and support it.
      August 28, 2018 12:37 PM MDT

• Since the advent of texting, I thought they all were!  (Just kidding).

As for the second question: we do speak the same language ... with a multitude of different accents.  :)

August 28, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

I think it would be wonderful if every student learned the 5 official languages of the UN.

Or better yet, if the world would decide on one international language that everybody had to know.
    You could still have your native language, but everybody would have a common language.
      August 28, 2018 3:38 PM MDT

I am going to say it's a good idea.. provided it's not all schools... but to be bilingual is a huge advantage to those taught that way... to be able to speak two or more languages is just so fantastic and really helps those people in later life.. 

My experiences are as follows...
    I am entirely useless at languages... always have been... don't seem to have the brain for it but my sons both got a GCSE in German
    Young brains are the best at absorbing and naturalising learning of another language.. those brought up bilingual can switch easily between the two.. anyone who brings a child up speaking two language gives them such a gift
    I had an ex bf, he was able to speak several languages.. it was SO useful when we went to Lanzarote, he could speak to staff in SPanish and explain things and have them explain things... including menu and special things we wanted. He spoke to an American in German - all very cool. 
    When my kids were younger I wanted to move to Wales... what put me off was that most of the schools there teach in Welsh.. well they have every right but it would have made things too difficult for my kids who have dyslexia/learning difficulties.. would have been too much for them. 

August 28, 2018 3:45 PM MDT