Active Now

Element 99
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Have you ever ridden a Ferris Wheel? Was it scary?

Have you ever ridden a Ferris Wheel? Was it scary?

Posted - August 28, 2018

Responses

Yes. It was quite boring, as it kept starting and stopping to let people on and off. I couldn't wait to get off of it.
      August 28, 2018 12:08 PM MDT

Really?  Than your ride is waiting for you at Magic Mountain!  Talk about some horrifying roller coasters!!!

This video doesn't pay it justice or the wickedest !!  Don and I went one NIGHT and after going on three, we couldn't take it any more.  We're OLD and were worried for our hearts!  Giggles!!!!
      August 28, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

Lame compared to a couple at Cedar Point here in Ohio.
      August 29, 2018 8:19 AM MDT

;)
      August 29, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

Good seeing ya.
      August 29, 2018 11:18 AM MDT

You, too.
    :)
      August 29, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

You haven't?  I've ridden a hundred and every time swore I never would again.  Between friends and kids I always got talked into it.  I don't like heights at all.  My husband always thought trying to swing the bucket was a good idea.  I'm surprised we didn't divorce over that!  :)
      August 28, 2018 12:25 PM MDT

I am cracking up over here about almost getting a divorce over this!  Yes!  There are certain things you just cannot get over and your fear of heights is one of them!  I feel for you.  Yes, I have been on one but for the first time about a week ago.  We had friends in for the weekend and we took them to Santa Monica Pier and rode the Ferris Wheel there.... at NIGHT.  I'm not that afraid of heights. (We all are to a certain degree. Don't let anyone tell you any differently.  It is a survival thing! :)) But, I'll tell you, with all four of us sitting in the bucket, free to roam and around with barely any sides around us, I was freaking.  Don put his leg over me so I felt like I wasn't going to fall.  I just stared straight ahead and prayed it would be our last go-around.  :) :)  I hear ya and feel ya Thriftymaid.  And, moreover, it's great you are such a good sport and did it anyway. :)) This post was edited by Merlin at August 29, 2018 10:12 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 4:40 PM MDT

For the life of me, I cannot recall if I did or not.  I know I did ride on a roller coaster once - never again.
      August 28, 2018 12:57 PM MDT

Amen to that statement.  Yes.  I did my roller coaster over-kill not too long ago.  After the third one, I figured I had made up for all the years I hadn't ridden one in 51.  I kissed my roller-coaster riding career good-bye, happily!  The Ferris Wheel is kind of the same fear only it goes slowly so you have more time to think about it.  Big smiles!!! This post was edited by Merlin at August 29, 2018 8:19 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

I had my Turn on one year ago when we all went out for a Spin ....we marched too the FairGround with some Army Cadets and had to wheelwright to get  deride first in the cue....:( 
      August 28, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

Cool Nice Jugs!  At least you were protected by the Army Cadets! :) :)
      August 28, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

• I've never done it. Always been too scared >.<
      August 28, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

Go ahead and keep that thought.  If you into scared, it isn't going to get any easier.  It is a very interesting sensation sitting on top of the world being jolted every now and again as you work your way back down.  It is fun but I'm not sure it is worth getting over the fear for. :) :)
      August 28, 2018 4:46 PM MDT

• "Hasn't everybody!"  Scary?  Just since I've started to care about dying.
      August 28, 2018 2:50 PM MDT

Now you tell me that's why I was supposed to be scared!  All this time I thought it was the sudden stop at the end if I fell from the top!  Sheeeesh!  I had it wrong this whole time!  Big winks and smiles. :) :)
      August 28, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

• The sudden stop is nothing.  It's over in a blink of an eye and you move on to a hospital, where they put pins in a bunch of your bones, a full-body cast for a souvenir and all the (in your case) hot male nurses you can look at.  But death ... no pins, souvenirs or hot male nurses.  NADA!!
      August 29, 2018 5:16 AM MDT

I remember doing things like that a lot when I was young and never really finding it scary... however, when I later tried to take my two young sons on things like that, i.e. a relatively small one in the town I was terrified!!!! And worse, I had to pretend I wasn't scared as I didn't want to show any fear which I might pass on to my sons.. Torture! And after that I never really liked anything like that.. I became a wuss and I am still a wuss today :P
      August 28, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

• Exactly ... it's terrible when we lose our invincibility.  :)
      August 28, 2018 3:38 PM MDT

Aren't we all!!  When we are young, we don't think about things so much and we believe if we fall out, we "Bounce!"  Or so we think.  As we grow and our bones become a bit brittle, we then begin to realize maybe we don't bounce so much any more.
    Another thing that shows is your responsibility and caring for your sons.You knew you didn't want to get hurt because they needed you.  I suspect subconsciously you knew you wanted to be part of their lives for the rest of yours, too!
    All the more reason not to want to ride a Ferris Wheel ever again..... Unless of course, the grandchildren... Big hugs and smiles! This post was edited by Merlin at August 29, 2018 10:14 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 4:51 PM MDT

My sister made me go on one when I was a kid (she said it'd be fun).  Horrifying!  Heights are bad enough, but when you can't control it...!!
      August 28, 2018 10:17 PM MDT

Many times but it was only scary once when my gal spotted my ex in the midway and she gave me the dagger eyes for the rest of the ride. Cheers!
      August 28, 2018 10:49 PM MDT

Yes and yes. 
      August 29, 2018 3:27 AM MDT

Foolishly, not scared of most things in the 50's.

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at August 29, 2018 11:35 PM MDT
      August 29, 2018 7:32 AM MDT