Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » What are your thoughts on this prison strike taking place across several institutions?

What are your thoughts on this prison strike taking place across several institutions?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/21/prisoners-strike-protest-attica-lee-correctional/1045008002/

Above is a brief article.

Posted - August 29, 2018

Responses

Screw ‘em. Outside of ensuring the safety of the Corrections personnel, who cares? Let ‘em sleep in the beds they made. Aren’t inmates “striking” for better conditions, whatever they imagine that to be. It’s prison, not the friggin’ Four Seasons. Taxpayers needn’t be on the hook to cater to convicted criminals. 

Who are they hurting by striking? Themselves. If you give in to this, what do they ”strike” for next. 

It reminds me of criminal gangs who burn down their own neighborhoods to spite the police. Leave them to chew each other to pieces. Be an example to other lawbreakers. 
      August 29, 2018 3:34 PM MDT

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for replying. I knew I could count on you to respond to a serious question. 
      August 29, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

It reminds me of an old cartoon in the Sunday paper:  The king is sitting on his throne and is presented with a list of "non-negotiable demands" from the prisoners.  He agrees that they are non-negotiable.  The last panel shows the king's palace guards sealing the prison windows and doors with bricks.
      August 29, 2018 3:42 PM MDT

That’s awesome.
      August 29, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

I’d gladly play that king in the movie version, Tom. 
      August 29, 2018 4:35 PM MDT

Your're hired---let me work on the financing.
      September 2, 2018 7:41 PM MDT

What really angers me is there’s little public support or concern for corrections officers. There’s also little concern about them from state politicians, state department of corrections, and invidudual facility administration. With the exception of a recent raise the only way to get a raise was to promote. Once in while we’d get a 1 1/2% or 2% raise. Our medical benefits cost rises 5-7% anually. To save money we close more officer positions on shift. We run dangerously low on staff because of this and staff shortages. It’s difficult to have time off approved. Then we receive nasty messages from HR about being over on our vacation hours, which is limited and increased every five years of service. This post was edited by Rizz at August 30, 2018 9:55 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Yours is a damn tough job, in a uniquely unforgiving environment. In general, citizens don’t want to hear about prisons, don’t want to pay more for incarceration. Society’s dirty laundry, tucked away from sight, best not aired publicly. 

It vexes me that costs are high, but so little of the money reaches the people on the “shop floor”, most deserving. 
    Corrections professionals bear the brunt of disrespect from their charges and lack of respect from public officials. You and your brethren, are not peasants, Rizz, you are warriors. 

How can anyone justify mollifying rioting convicts without fairly compensating the brave citizens (warriors, I say) charged with securing and protecting them. I can’t. What happens to Guard morale if we do? What prevents future inmate rioting for other desires? 

My original answer stems from this mindset. I am by no means an authority on this, but my feelings are strong, just the same. Kudos to you, sir.  
      August 29, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

Thank you for the kind words and respect. It helps knowing some care about new us and respect us. We do a job the majority of the population can’t do. I’ve seen it change so many people. Our average life expectancy is 55. Too many times I have seen guards retire and die within a year. The stress takes a severe toll on us, physically and mentally. I’ve seen so many people age rapidly in this environment. I refuse to let it ruin me. It has changed my personality, but mostly not in a negative way. It makes me more aware of my surroundings and more guarded around people, not just inside prison.   

There have ave been several times I have stopped at a gas station or the grocery store on the way to work while I’ve had people disrespect me, insult me, and threaten me simply for being in uniform. I’ve been called “pig”, “pinkie pig”, and “racist pig”. I’ve been wished death and threatened with violence. I have been able to avoid physical altercations. I have mastered diffusing situations. I’m going to risk my career and freedom over some lowlife scumbag. This post was edited by Rizz at August 30, 2018 9:55 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 7:07 PM MDT

It's a job I'd never be able to do, for a lot of reasons.

Kudos and deepest respect for anyone in the law enforcement community who acts within the bounds of the law.
      August 29, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

As far as I can tell, these criminals are already getting room and board free, cable TV, gym facilities and exercise in the yard time.  They can have visitors and some are even permitted conjugal visits.  So, I'm not sure exactly what the complaint is other than they can't go home.  Prison is meant as a punishment - a suspension of the freedom and ability to do things that non-criminals are permitted to do.  What I would change, if it was possible, is the gangs to flourish.  It's possible that there are prisoners who do not want to join a gang, but know if they don't they are susceptible to attack by fellow inmates.  If it was up to me, I would send violent gang members outside the U.S.  If they think they have it bad here, let them see what it's like in a Mexican prison, or somewhere in the Middle East.  
      August 29, 2018 9:36 PM MDT

havent heard about it
      September 7, 2018 3:42 PM MDT