Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What life skills are rarely taught but extremely useful?

What life skills are rarely taught but extremely useful?

Posted - September 3, 2018

Responses

Survival skills they could be extremely useful if a person was to get lost in a forest or if society collapses . Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 4, 2018 1:07 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 7:41 PM MDT

• "People skills" ... reading people can come in handy.

September 3, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

God, I loved that show.  

For awhile.  
      September 3, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

• Yes, I remember your earlier comment that you liked it until you found out it was fake.  Everything you see on TV or in the movies is fake ... even in documentaries. BUT ... reading people is not fake.  to the degree that the show took it was embellished, of course, but you know the power of the mind ... probably better than most.  Problem is we just don't use it as much as we should. Police, detectives, salespeople ... anyone who works with the public daily can tell you that reading people is just part of the business.

Take for instance this video.  Statistics say that a male will choose "rock" on the first turn 70% of the time (male ego). And the sheriff choose "rock."

I worked in a drive-in theater for a while and after a time spotting someone who was sneaking someone in, in their trunk, was a piece of cake.  It's written all over their face! (and the rear end of the car is lower than it should be)  :)
      September 4, 2018 3:30 AM MDT

Statistics say that a male will choose "rock" on the first turn 70% of the time (male ego). And the sheriff choose "rock."

I wonder if they did statistics with the nerd version (Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock).   
    Because I would bet that Spock was the first pick among male nerds.
    LOL
      September 4, 2018 1:34 PM MDT

• I don't remember where I got that number from, but with the advent of computers I'd venture to say that the number of statistic lists are nearly unimaginable. :)
      September 4, 2018 2:18 PM MDT

Thinking, waiting and fasting.

September 3, 2018 9:16 PM MDT

Hi~ :)  I was just thinking of this book the other day.  It is one I like to revisit.  I'm glad to see you like it too! :) :)
      September 3, 2018 11:21 PM MDT

Knowing  how to properly address an older person when they walk into a room. Years ago there was so much respect a child was taught that when an older person walked into a room the children would stand up. I know this for a fact, because when I went to school in Mexico that was the rule. "Before gray hair you should rise up, and you must show honor to an older man, and you must be in fear of your God. I am Jehovah" (Leviticus 19:32) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at September 4, 2018 12:24 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 10:10 PM MDT

Only men? Not women?
      September 4, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

Well if you're going to go by the Old Testament ... women were chattel.  So why would you stand for them?  LOL
      September 4, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

Manners.
      September 3, 2018 11:21 PM MDT

• Manners?  We should have traded parents. You'd have been overjoyed! :)
      September 4, 2018 3:34 AM MDT

Manners were expected  and key in my family.  You have beautiful manners. :) :)
    It's kind of funny.  I thought everyone had common sense and manners from birth.*
    I began to find my theory not to be so when I was confronted with people I would never chose to surround myself with.  It was a rather rude awakening(.

*I had to come back and edit.  Wrong usage on my verb (I think) in the last sentence. At any rate, the sentence made sense but not correctly written.  Thanks for over-looking it. :) :)  You know I know better.  :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 4, 2018 6:12 PM MDT
      September 4, 2018 10:35 AM MDT

In America, civilized behavior.
      September 4, 2018 8:07 AM MDT

Good Morning Element :)  Exactly!  Just mere common courtsey would be a nice change.  A sense of gratitude would be overwhelming.
      September 4, 2018 10:30 AM MDT

Thank you, my Mage.
      September 4, 2018 10:34 AM MDT

You just made my day!  I love that nickname.  The pleasure is always mine.  Kind of selfish, I know.  I'm just learning how to do that selfish thing.  Big winks and smiles!
      September 4, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

Just about everything that used to be in "Home Economics" class.
    Cooking
    Balancing a checkbook
    Sewing

Or "shop" classes ... basic vehicle maintenance, or home repairs.

September 4, 2018 11:21 AM MDT

It's been referred to obliquely here already but I'd say, 'commonsense' - we see really clever kids, being churned out by the universities, they are a whizz with numbers and book-leaning stuff but absolutely no commonsense. 
      September 4, 2018 1:12 PM MDT

Manners

Respect

Honesty

How to handle having your feelings hurt in the proper way

Learning to accept others may have different opinions and views

Finances—Living within your means. Following a strict budget. Saving money.

September 4, 2018 6:14 PM MDT

how to be nice to people
      September 6, 2018 5:38 PM MDT