Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is an example of the nicest people doing the most vile and cruel things?

What is an example of the nicest people doing the most vile and cruel things?

Posted - September 3, 2018

Responses

This is probably not what you're looking for for an answer but I quickly thought of a movie. The most disturbing film I've yet to see - - director Michael Haneke's original 1997 "Funny Games."
    Two extremely nice and polite good-looking young guys dressed in tennis whites clothes - -  but they're definitely NOT what they seem. They make a family play their incredibly cruel funny games.
    Here's a gif -- a scene from the movie. Oh, yeah - - we, the audience, by watching, become involved in the games, too. As the gif shows, the two guys look and talk directly to us, the audience - - that device makes the movie that much more uncomfortable. The gif is actor Arno Frisch in the movie.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 3, 2018 11:01 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

That sounds like a truly terrifying movie! 
      September 3, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

I don't know if I was scared but something like that, yes- - I know I got upset. I had to stop watching it at one point and go take a walk. I returned and watched the rest. It disturbed me for weeks.
    But I also find it a true masterpiece of a film! I highly recommend it for a truly unique movie-watching experience.

This was the first movie I saw by director Michael Haneke. I've since watched many of his films -- I think they're all great!
    :)
      September 3, 2018 8:29 PM MDT

I don't think I could watch it. 
      September 3, 2018 8:37 PM MDT

I can understand.
    Oh, and there is not even a drop of gore or over-the-top violence visually shown in the movie! 
      September 3, 2018 8:44 PM MDT

I'm afraid to even read your post, let alone see movie.  I got through the frist sentence and stopped.  I'm afraid to even go back and continue. ...
      September 3, 2018 11:03 PM MDT

That's OK, Merlin.
    I'm glad you shared your thoughts.
      September 4, 2018 8:07 AM MDT

Another thing -- almost a plot spoiler, like I already did, I guess - - this gif I posted? It's the first time in the movie he looks directly at the camera and acknowledges the audience. I remember thinking "What did he just do?!"

And in the background you can see the mother looking for the family dog.

As much as I really, really respect this movie, I've only watched it that one-and-only first time. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 4, 2018 10:55 AM MDT
      September 4, 2018 10:51 AM MDT

No worries about the spoiler... I'm not going to watch it. 

I really, really, really hope they didn't do anything to the dog. (Please don't tell me if they did). 
      September 5, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

I've really enjoyed sharing with you about the movie, thanks, SavvyAnsley! It's such a unique movie!

This is sort of funny -- not long after I watched the movie, I wrote a letter to the director Michael Haneke and asked him if the cast were OK! (They were THAT believable in their roles -- a really solid cast, everyone single one.)

Oh, and this was the original 1997 movie -- it's an Austrian film and Haneke later made a shot-for-shot remake in English with a different cast. I've never seen the remake.
      September 5, 2018 7:21 PM MDT

These days you could just tweet him! 

September 5, 2018 7:26 PM MDT

Ha! You're right!
      September 5, 2018 7:41 PM MDT

Good enough. Thanks very much.
      September 3, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

You're welcome, Zack! Good to see you.
      September 4, 2018 8:04 AM MDT

I know I'm going to get sh*t for this, but it's what immediately comes to mind. I'm not saying this with judgment. I think I was a reasonably nice person when I participated in it. I know many incredibly nice and honorable people who do it every day. Doesn't make them not nice and it doesn't make what I'm going to say untrue. 

Nice people contribute to the torture and death of animals every day by choosing to eat them. 

September 3, 2018 8:10 PM MDT

• From 1778 to 1871, the United States government entered into more than 500 treaties with the Native American tribes; all of these treaties have since been violated in some way or outright broken by the US government, while at least one treaty was violated or broken by Native American tribes.
      September 3, 2018 8:24 PM MDT

Are you alleging that the US government is or ever has been nice? 

September 3, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

• No, but before they became politicians they might have been.
    A treaty is a nice thing, an agreement, a compromise ... at least until its broken.  :)
      September 3, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

These are the days that make me hang my head low and be a white-blooded American.   They are so bothersome to me, I get sick to my stomach.  
      September 3, 2018 11:05 PM MDT

Catholic priests who abuse children. 
      September 3, 2018 8:48 PM MDT

Catholic Priests = NICE?  okay.....
      September 3, 2018 9:04 PM MDT

Members of clergy generally are. Even the closet pedophiles among them play nice in public. 
    That’s not to say I don’t disagree with them ideologically. 
      September 3, 2018 9:48 PM MDT

How many negatives are in that last sentence?

I think you are saying you do not don't agree with them?

Huh?

Okay.  Anyway, I do not disagree with what you are explaining.  

Sociopaths are always charming.

September 3, 2018 9:53 PM MDT

Glad we got that cleared up
      September 3, 2018 9:58 PM MDT