Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Can a traumatic experience change your sexuality?

Can a traumatic experience change your sexuality?

Posted - September 3, 2018

Responses

Absolutely.

Imagine getting raped at a young age and being tramatized by the gender who attacked you?

It might make you never be able to connect sex with that image that may have been formed at a very young age.

Or, maybe someone was thrown in with another who seduced at the right moment in time.

Who can predict these things?

And of course, many and maybe MOST are born that way.

September 3, 2018 9:42 PM MDT

Yes.
      September 3, 2018 11:00 PM MDT

This is an area I have thought about a lot.. I am an amateur sexologist... I have talked to men who were technically speaking abused by older men when they were kids.... Some of these men actually enjoyed the experience and went on to seek similar experiences, even in adulthood... What we don't know is whether the ones who enjoyed it were *always* gay leaning or whether the experience made them so... Either way there are many examples of this happening... I seem to recall Rock Hudson saying he had had a similar experience as a child.. 

Of course this is not to say ALL men enjoy it OR that they all go on to become gay/bi-sexual..  And there are plenty of examples of men who were traumatised by other men's attentions.. And ditto women... but it would be, perhaps, an example of where potentially it *may* be an influence.. 

Interestingly the debate widens out to other kinds of abuse and the child growing up expecting or being used to that treatment and incorporating it into their *normal* - again not saying all and not saying it's ok./ 
      September 4, 2018 12:31 PM MDT

If you are talking about sexuality with regard to orientation, I don't know.

But if you are talking about what "turns you on," if that traumatic experience included unexpected sexual pleasure or displeasure, it certainly can.
      September 4, 2018 12:54 PM MDT

Removal of one's penis and testicles would turn a man into an asexual.
      September 4, 2018 1:26 PM MDT

I would say so.  

My uncle is a Christian who really believes in spanking.  I ran into his son one time when I was on EP.  He had "spank" in his screen name and all of his groups groups and stories were about spanking.  His favorite answer to questions about spanking was "I was spanked when I was a kid and I turned out OK."  He rebelled by developing a spanking fetish.

Wetlook is a huge turn-on for my husband.  He was that one kid who was never allowed to get wet when he was a kid.  He always had to go inside when there was a water fight or a rainstorm or there was someone playing with a garden hose.  He rebelled by marrying me.  I love playing in the rain so we go out and dance when it rains.  My hubby even proposed to me in the pouring rain but it wasn't planned that way.  We even jump in the pond while fully-clothed sometimes which is always fun.

So yeah, I guess traumatic experiences can at least influence what turns some people on.

This post was edited by Livvie at September 4, 2018 9:26 PM MDT
      September 4, 2018 7:03 PM MDT

Without a doubt. 
      September 4, 2018 7:04 PM MDT

not that i know of
      September 6, 2018 5:35 PM MDT