Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Finance » For those of you who know, what are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a member of AAA*? ~

For those of you who know, what are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a member of AAA*? ~

*The American Automobile Association. 

They keep sending me membership offers. I keep ignoring them. Over a decade ago, I was planning a cross-country road trip, and I considered joining then, but I was unimpressed with their stated reasons that it would be a good move. 
~

Posted - September 4, 2018

Responses

• I haven't checked lately, but you used to be able to get the Roadside Assistance package without a AAA Auto Coverage policy. If the Roadside Assistance package had covered motorcycles, I would have gotten one.
      September 5, 2018 12:09 AM MDT

My husband and I have AAA roadside assistance but not their insurance.  I know it's free towing up to 100 miles and my husband actually did need a 90 mile tow once so the AAA membership paid for itself.  Anyway, the car that needed that tow is in our barn.  He's mostly done restoring it.
      September 5, 2018 2:02 AM MDT

We have the AA, RAC, newbie called Green Flag that all offer excellent service....I've been in the AA ever since I could drive....My dad insisted and paid for the whole package...
    I just paid my AA package fee a few days ago....£132 for the whole package ...I've been recovered at least four times and twice i was hundreds of miles from home...and had things like fan belts replaced ..

Its well worth the fee.....
    A fifty mile taxi fare three years ago was £ 125 pounds.....For the peice of mind of getting your vehickle brought home plus you and all your passengers and maybe babies and young children .....£132 pounds is nothing ...

Its the price of about thirty cups of coffee.... 
      September 5, 2018 2:24 AM MDT

AA here is free. And you don't have to give them your name.
      September 5, 2018 7:33 AM MDT

Bit hard if you're in for recovery ...hic hic....:( 
      September 5, 2018 11:30 AM MDT

Like I've said: "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings"
      September 5, 2018 11:40 AM MDT

So, your name is I'ma Really ? :)
      September 5, 2018 11:44 AM MDT

Interesting. My mother was Inez. We called her Ina.
      September 5, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

AAA always have had a decent discount deal on Cedar Point Amusement Park tickets. (Sandusky, Ohio)  In my younger days, I would take girlfriends  (and later my kids) there. It was a very nice place to go then, today it is jammed with roller coasters that are more suitable for the younger set whos bodies can take the beating! 
      September 5, 2018 6:09 AM MDT

I could handle the rides. It's the standing in lines, baking in the sun, that gets to me. I decided the last time I went was the last time.
      September 5, 2018 11:50 AM MDT

Yeah. They used to have trees all over the place and some benches. 
      September 6, 2018 7:25 AM MDT

Yeah
    have insurance and 
    I have the road coverage...
    Couldn't live without it
    used it four times last year
    A lot of trouble with my truck.
    Had to use towing service
    plus run out of gas once
    and they brought gas.
    A good service.
      September 5, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

I have been a member for many years. My wife needed them last month for a jump start. Annual fee is quite reasonable.
      September 5, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

I had one experience many years ago with AAA with which I was very unhappy.  I was parked near my home and my car wouldn't start.  I called AAA and they towed me to a gas station about a mile away.  The mechanic said I needed a new carburetor.  I had them replace it but I had difficulty on the road a bit later on.  When I looked under the hood, there were two hoses that didn't seem to have any place to be connected.  I took it to another mechanic who said it was the wrong carburetor for that model car.  When I told that to AAA, they wanted me to bring it back to the same mechanic that put in the wrong part in the first place and I refused.  Eventually, the first mechanic returned my money and I had the proper work done elsewhere.  AAA refused to side with me even after they had their own mechanic look at the car and he agreed that it was the wrong part.  Now I have road assistance through GEICO as well as free road service through Hyundai.
      September 5, 2018 8:44 AM MDT

OMG how can anyone live without AAA??

had my membership for many years........always helpful and courteous people......

of course there are other companies with similar plans, so I'd do some price-comparison before deciding which one to get!!

:-D

September 5, 2018 8:49 AM MDT

Quite easily.
      September 6, 2018 4:17 PM MDT

I don't have AAA. I do have road service through my Progressive insurance policy it is only about $10. I have not used it yet. 

Before that I had it through Nationwide insurance again only about $10. I did use that once or twice and was very happy with the service.

AAA has limits on amount of usage that I don't have with my auto insurance road service.

PS:
    What is an  "Autimoblie"? This post was edited by my2cents at September 5, 2018 8:58 PM MDT
      September 5, 2018 8:56 AM MDT

An "Autimobile" is the "dollar store" version of an Audi. They're usually made out of plastic and have a hamster on a wheel for an engine.  Plus their airbags are made of thin black plastic with the word "Glad" embossed on them.
      September 5, 2018 9:47 AM MDT

So it is a clean unused trashbag....hummmm? I bet, I know someone with one of those. 
      September 5, 2018 11:33 AM MDT

Clean, unused airbags are extra.
      September 5, 2018 12:36 PM MDT

Lol.
      September 5, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

Thanks. It's been edited. 
    ~
      September 5, 2018 8:03 PM MDT

May want to edit again. Lol ~
      September 6, 2018 11:39 AM MDT

• smiles
      September 6, 2018 11:55 AM MDT