Discussion » Questions » Business » Are you more or less likely to purchase Nike products in light of the Colin Kaepernick ad campaign?

Are you more or less likely to purchase Nike products in light of the Colin Kaepernick ad campaign?

Posted - September 5, 2018

Responses

The fact that the makers feel the need to advertise
    is the very thing that makes me less likely to buy the product.
    If it's good everyone knows it and so it doesn't need to be advertised.

If I need a thing, I research it,
    and ask the opinions of users.

Word of mouth makes the difference for me. This post was edited by inky at September 6, 2018 3:35 PM MDT
      September 6, 2018 12:31 AM MDT

If everybody did that ... nobody would buy new products.
      September 6, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

Neophiles will always be willing to experiment with something new.
    They lead the way.

Some people are more affluent; the loss does not hurt as much if the new product turns out to be a dud.

I trust advertisers to lie about their products.
    And when corporations start a public relations blitz, I know it's intended to counteract public perceptions based on ingrained patterns of bad behavior (rather than trying to fix the problem that caused them.) Banks are a good example.

September 6, 2018 6:42 PM MDT

I agree. However, advertisement creates economy. People are paid to just be on television/ Billboards presenting the product. Ordinary people will pounce on the chance to get paid. So Nike, cars and or restaurants all doe a great job in helping ordinary people with cash. 
      September 7, 2018 4:42 AM MDT

Advertisements don’t hold any value to me other than negative value. I rarely purchased anything Nike to begin with. Now I will never purchase anything made by Nike. As you can see by my profile picture I am law enforcement and I support law enforcement. For Nike to use a jerk for a commercial who wore pig police officer socks and a Fidel Castro shirt sickens me. Screw Nike. Screw that lowlife moron who couldn’t cut it in the NFL. This post was edited by Rizz at September 6, 2018 6:53 PM MDT
      September 6, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

FYI: It's difficult to tell from your avatar that you work in law enforcement IMO. LIVES is the only word that may be clearly seen. The other words are too dark against a dark background and are hard to make out without squinting.
      September 6, 2018 8:56 AM MDT

The avatar is much more readable now!
      September 6, 2018 7:24 PM MDT

Your comments were the reason why. Thank you.
      September 6, 2018 7:26 PM MDT

I never bought Nike products, to begin with, because I always felt they were too expensive but to answer your question, I would be less likely to buy Nike products in light of the ad campaign. Mainly because of what Kaepernick really stands for and the fact that Nick chose to continue to ride the political train to make money. As always, just my opinion. :)
      September 6, 2018 3:09 AM MDT

I couldn't give a toss. I don't buy Nike because of unethical manufacturing. Advertising has no influence on that pro or con.
      September 6, 2018 4:31 AM MDT

Sorry guess I am just not up on what the young people are into.  I have my own things going.  I have purchased Nike products in the past and who knows but I still might if I felt like it. 
      September 6, 2018 4:47 AM MDT

I think Nike makes a good product.  I don't buy Nike unless they are on sale and have a running shoe that is compatible to my feet.  I treat them like any other top-name running shoe. 
    I'm sorry if this sounds crass but I buy a product that suits my athletic needs. 
    The person who poses for the advertisements makes little difference to me. This post was edited by Merlin at September 6, 2018 11:11 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 4:49 AM MDT

Advertising basically plays no role in my purchasing decisions. Nike tends to be overly expensive in comparison to brands of similar quality. (Can we also recognize many of their products are made in sweatshops)

To your query: I would not be more likely to purchase Nike products. 
      September 6, 2018 6:28 AM MDT

I've never bought any name brand sports clothing EXCEPT some Brooks running shoes back in the day when I did long distance running. I might even have a Nike golf ball, but that is because I found it in the deep grass. Sorry Nike, you're overpriced!
      September 6, 2018 7:05 AM MDT

Never bought nike. Unlikely ever to. Don't like commercial companies being political.
      September 6, 2018 7:14 AM MDT

makes a nothing for me
    Have no Nike anything
      September 6, 2018 7:17 AM MDT

Not likely to purchase Nike ... with or without their new ad campaign.
    They're just too expensive, and their quality isn't THAT much better (if at all) than less expensive brands.

September 6, 2018 9:21 AM MDT

I don't believe I've ever bought a Nike product, so I am neither more nor less likely to buy now.
      September 6, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

• Makes no difference to me. I don't buy athletic wear in general. 
      September 6, 2018 10:22 AM MDT

Same as ever. Least likely. I cannot afford £40 just r or more just for that!
      September 6, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

probably not
      September 6, 2018 2:30 PM MDT

I am not familiar with the story. I am behind in reading foreign news. However, in general I do vote with my feet. If someone, be it a promoter or company engages in reprehensible behaviour and/or questionable ethics then I avoid them. I put my money where my mouth is and I stand up for honour and doing the right thing - especially when it comes to treating people well. 
      September 6, 2018 3:24 PM MDT

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/09/04/colin-kaepernick-ad-boycotting-nike-column/1189989002/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/opinion-columns/wayne-allyn-root/nike-vs-in-n-out-the-silent-majority-has-spoken/
      September 6, 2018 8:22 PM MDT

I do and have bought Nike shoes in the past. I am on my feet most of the day at work and a good pair of shoes can make all the difference in the world to how your feet feel at the end of the day. 

No, I will not be buying any more Nike shoes for myself or my children. I am not destroying the pair I have at the moment though. Nike is not the only good shoe around. Addias and New Balance are also good shoes. And others of course. I do have to get shoes probably this month. Glad the ad came out before I went to the store. This post was edited by my2cents at September 6, 2018 8:17 PM MDT
      September 6, 2018 7:03 PM MDT