Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever almost got shot by a cop?

Have you ever almost got shot by a cop?

Once I was walking down the road caring my wood splinting maul and minding my own business when a cop stopped me and asked me what I was doing. So I pointed to the gas station and said - I'm just going down to Petro Scam - Petro Scam  is what the local yokels call Petro Can  because of it's high prices but I don't think the cop knew that and he started thinking I had some kind of beef with them. Then he asked me what was with the axe and I said -  it's not an axe it's a wood splitting maul then he said what ever what's the difference so I started to take the sock off the head of the maul to show him. His Glock hand seemed to be getting mighty itchy so I stopped and started telling him the whole story. Which was one of my  Fairwinds ground keeping customers was picking me up at Petro Can and I was going to her house to split up a cord of fir firewood. Then I told him that since she only has a wood chopping axe I bring my wood splitting maul. His Glock hand still seemed a bit itchy so I name dropped a Judge that lived by my grounds keeping customer then I started babblings on about the Judges gorgeous yard and his new water feature.  Eventually the cop told me to have a good day and off we went. Cheers!

Posted - September 9, 2018

Responses

Never.  In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a copy in my neighborhood.  I almost never see a patrol car around here unless someone called.  I live in a relatively low crime area.  I think we had one homicide in the past 5-6 years and that was a disgruntled husband who killed his ex-wife over child visitation issues.  Our precinct is called "Fort Bagel."
      September 9, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

Scary!!!  When you realise how much power they have over your life because they have a gun,. Most cops are good.. but you always worry about the ones who aren't... 

We don't have that here.. or very, very rarely.. I read on a local news thing that there were armed cops in my town.. I was horrified as we have never seen that here.. but even so, they have power to make your life very miserable even without a gun. 
      September 9, 2018 1:16 PM MDT

Well at least in Canada you have a 50/50 percent chance of either getting shot or tasered - if giving a choice I'd pick the tasering ever time. One of my unrealistic dreams is to sing Soho's song Hippy Chick to a room full of cops. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 9, 2018 6:36 PM MDT
      September 9, 2018 2:05 PM MDT

No but my husband has. He was pulled over because his truck matched the description of a thief and even his physical description. The officer was visibly nervous as he pointed his gun at my husband. 
    My husband told him "I don't know who you are looking for but you got the wrong guy. And I have got to get to work."
    Officer told him he could not let him go. He matched the description. 
    Husband put his hands out and said "Go ahead and cuff me..."
    The officer did and it definitely put his nerves at rest. They continued talking. And during it all it came over the scanner that they had caught the actual crook and the officer thanked my husband for cooperating. And offered to talk to his boss if he was late for work. 

If my husband had behaved differently, the outcome could have been very tragic. 

September 9, 2018 1:38 PM MDT

Suspenseful event with a cool ending. I'm glad it all ended very well.
      September 9, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

I am too...otherwise I would have never met him. 
      September 9, 2018 5:47 PM MDT

That's an intriguing reply!

But don't feel pressured, though, to add more details!
    :)
      September 9, 2018 5:50 PM MDT

Just that it happened before I met him. But we did meet at the same job he would have been late for. But this was months before. 
      September 9, 2018 6:12 PM MDT

Thanks, my2cents! Interesting!

( I don't think I would have been cool-in-the-nerves enough to offer to be handcuffed in that situation. I'd have been more nervous.)
      September 9, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

He was worried about the cop being on edge and accidentally shooting. When the gun is shaking as it is pointed at you. You want to do anything possible to get it pointed away from you. So the cuffs put the officer in control. 
      September 9, 2018 7:32 PM MDT

Makes sense, yes!
      September 9, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

not yet
      September 9, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

Yes ,we went paint balling with a policeman once and he should have realized from the offset that I was always going to be A Miss     :)D 
      September 9, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

I don't think they would shoot at me because might hit one of their dogs.
      September 9, 2018 8:00 PM MDT

Nope. Australian cops almost never draw their sidearms. I've been pulled over dozens of times, for RBTs. Been arrested once, for chaining myself to a bulldozer - even then, their guns remained holstered.
      September 10, 2018 1:32 AM MDT

Never, ever and hope I never come close to being shot. 
      September 10, 2018 4:39 AM MDT