Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What wonderful quotes from history or movies or books or songs do you find so beautiful?
D&D

What wonderful quotes from history or movies or books or songs do you find so beautiful?

I like Oppenheimer's (father or the atomic bomb):  

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds”

-from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita

Posted - September 13, 2018

Responses

Oppenheimer's (or the Gita's) remains a startling one. I still don't know how much to respect him; he seems to have been a responsible and committed individual who helped bring about one--or two--of the most atrocious deeds in history, though we continue to criticize it so little.

If I have to stay at one quotation, this one comes to mind since I've been reading the wonderful Borges again:

I resorted to the least discerning of passions: patriotism.
      September 13, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

The movie, Casablanca, has many that I remember.

"Play it again, Sam. For old times' sake." 
    "Here's looking at you kid."
    "Of all the gin joints in towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
    "We'll always have Paris."

Two of my favorites are:
    "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

And this last one I use on Don when needed:
    "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

Even to this day, I try to use these to highlight points I might be making when speaking or writing. This post was edited by Merlin at September 14, 2018 4:29 AM MDT
      September 13, 2018 10:23 AM MDT

Hi Merlin. Hugs and smiles!!!
      September 13, 2018 10:26 AM MDT

Thank you Rizz!  Hugs and smiles back at cha!  I'm off to work as soon as I put on shoes.
      It's great to see you!  Happy! Happy!
      September 13, 2018 11:46 AM MDT

They don’t fall under beautiful, but they’re my favorites.

”There’s no crying in baseball.”

”I came here to kick a** and chew bubble gum. I’m all out of bubble gum.”

”There’s no place like home.”

”You can’t handle the truth.”
      September 13, 2018 10:28 AM MDT

I remember all these!  They are great! :) :)
      September 13, 2018 11:47 AM MDT

Within the context of the movie, it may be beautiful in a strange, creepy way. But probably not; it's plain out all-out creepy.
    Yet, it's a favorite and I'll use it here (it goes something like this):

"They'll look at me -- and they'll see -- and they'll say - - 'Why she wouldn't even harm a fly.' "

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 13, 2018 5:08 PM MDT
      September 13, 2018 10:36 AM MDT

You are beautiful Welby, inside and out. :) :)
      September 13, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

Thanks, Merlin.
    :)
    Back at'cha.
      September 13, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

all of thenn
      September 13, 2018 11:23 AM MDT

You must have a great memory.  Shall I get a laptop person to come over and fix your "M,m?"  Not the candy... big giggles.  Am I missing something or is your "m" key not working?  Please do tell if I am missing the point.  Feeling left out is not something anyone likes to feel... :(.
      September 13, 2018 11:50 AM MDT

the nn key is broken which is why inn typing like this
      September 13, 2018 2:35 PM MDT

Would you like someone to come and fix it?  You are smart when it comes to computers.  You and I have talked about this before.  I'm sure you must know a way.  
    Since you don't have a job nor money because you have explained how you live, I will send you some.
    Please message so we can figure this out.  I'm not in the high-life either but you have painted such a bleak and sad life, place of living, no employment, no self-esteem, no pet, no friends, no anything,  I really am crying.  I must be able to help somehow. 
    The three thousand dollars was from 6 months worth of work.  Seriously.  I don't lie.  I will send some to you to help you .  Just message me and I will help you.  I've seen this behavior go on for years, Pearl.  I have Don and family that I can fall back on.  I will share the money I make with you so you don't have a shotty keyboard.  I'm not kidding.  I will give you the money to get a new keyboard so you can at least talk to us out here with some dignity. This post was edited by Merlin at September 13, 2018 5:12 PM MDT
      September 13, 2018 3:27 PM MDT

thanks, but i prefer not getting nnoney, its easier cause then id have to let foodstannps and hud know about it, i can always get a keyboard if i want one, inn just not sure what to get or how to hook it up if i do, i was using nny netbook but thats not working so great either
      September 13, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

You hopefully know by observing, at least, there are computer and financial wizzes here.  I might be Merlin's truth, passion, and caring side... but there are many others here that are experts and shine with Merlin's  finance, computers, and fun side, too. Maybe ask a question on how to fix such a problem.  We have many similar friends who have numerous sides to our personalities.  We all are very playful.  I wish you would incorporate a playful side too.   I hope in the next couple days you get your keyboard fixed.  It would be amazing to me if someone as smart as you seem, can't fix this and beat the system that is hurting you so much.  I hope to see you soon.  My offer still stands.  Take Care, pearl.  I worry about you. This post was edited by Merlin at September 13, 2018 10:18 PM MDT
      September 13, 2018 4:01 PM MDT

nnaybe i'll order another keyboard sonnetinne
      September 13, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

No God= No Peace

Know God= Know Peace

Not sure who said it first but my history teacher used to say this all the time:

"A government who can give it all.....can TAKE it all." 

I never really understood that until years later. 
      September 13, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

I had heard that quote on government, too, but couldn't remember who said it. I looked it up and from what I saw, the quote has been incorrectly attributed to Thomas Jefferson and, also, Barry Goldwater. Several sources attribute the quote to Gerald Ford. (But I thought the quote had been around much longer than 1974, the year Ford said it in an address.)
    Whether incorrect or not, I think Jefferson is whom was credited when I first heard/read it.
    :)
      September 13, 2018 5:16 PM MDT

Robert Heinlein: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"Gospodin," he said presently, "you used an odd word earlier--odd to me, I mean..."

"Oh, 'tanstaafl.' Means ~There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.' And isn't," I added, pointing to a FREE LUNCH sign across room, "or these drinks would cost half as much. Was reminding her that anything free costs twice as much in long run or turns out worthless."

"An interesting philosophy."

"Not philosophy, fact. One way or other, what you get, you pay for."

September 13, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

One from a movie:   "Beam me up Scotty!!" It's my plans of escaping one of these days.....
      September 13, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

“Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
    As to be hated needs but to be seen;
    Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
    We first endure, then pity, then embrace.” ― Alexander Pope

These days many turn a blind eye to wrongs...

Movie Title - If You Die, I'll Kill You... This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at September 14, 2018 3:30 AM MDT
      September 13, 2018 3:09 PM MDT

"If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service until my relief comes. You will call and i will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands." (Job 14:14,15)
      September 13, 2018 11:24 PM MDT

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"....Cool Hand Luke
      September 14, 2018 4:31 AM MDT

"What kind of a place you runnin' here Wonka anyway?"  From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - movie, early 1970s. 
      September 14, 2018 6:07 AM MDT