Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Environment » have you ever had to evacuate your city for any reason

have you ever had to evacuate your city for any reason

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/13/lawrence-fires-explosions-gas-main/

t
his is all very close and just north of boston. all three cities are being evacuated and i cant even imagine being forced to leave my home and not knowing if its going to be there when i come back 

Posted - September 13, 2018

Responses

Last year, Hurricane Irma literally passed over my neighborhood. We evacuated to Tennessee for six days. 
      September 13, 2018 6:44 PM MDT

I’m assuming your home and property didn’t suffer much damage. If so, I’m happy for you.
      September 13, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

Here on the Florida coast, building codes are such that hurricanes are less destructive to permanent structures than they’d be elsewhere. All things considered, it could have been much worse.
    We lost a lot of landscaping and the pool guys made some good coin restoring local pools. 
      September 13, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

As much as it would suck to have to pay for those repairs, I have to imagine much better than repairing a house. 
      September 13, 2018 6:59 PM MDT

We have a wonderful community association that coordinates and helps fund neighborhood recovery from these storm events.
    Not only that, a number of prominent local officials have residences in our area. I think you get what that can mean...
      September 13, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

Makes perfect sense when you brought up local officials. Says it all. 
      September 13, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

We were very fortunate to be able to choose where to live, but suffice it to say our residence wasn’t decided by throwing a dart at a map. 
    Great advisors are worth their weight in gold. 
      September 13, 2018 8:02 PM MDT

I don’t live in any states bordering an ocean or close enough to an ocean to worry about hurricanes. I also don’t have any volcanoes anywhere near me. I’m fortunate there. We also are fortunate to not suffer and endure wildfires that spread like crazy. To answer your question, no I haven’t had to evacuate. The only thing I have to worry about is tornadoes. Even when we have heavy floods there hasn’t been near enough rain and running water to cause the need to evacuate.
      September 13, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

Eeks that's scary! My grandparents live over there.
    Anyway, I remember most of my area was evacuated for Hurricane Irma because they were either in the flood zone or in mobile homes. I didn't have to because I live above the flood zone. The people across the creek from me were supposed to evacuate but they didn't because they didn't expect it to get so bad. They and their neighbors ended up leaving in the middle of the storm because the water was rapidly rising and one of the houses ended up collapsing a little later.
      September 13, 2018 6:53 PM MDT

Not exactly. We were preparing to evacuate our home in 1977 as a wildfire approached, but the firefighters managed to stop it on the opposite ridge. I could see the flames from the living room window - a terrifying sight for an 8-year-old.
      September 13, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

Thankfully, I have not. 
      September 13, 2018 8:15 PM MDT

No, the closest I have come to that is having to go to the basement because of a tornado. 
      September 13, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

No, fortunately, I haven't.  We get some nor'easters here in NYC, we've had small tornadoes, we've had hurricanes, but only Sandy did extreme damage to the City.  I remember some dire hurricane warnings, not remembering which one, where they expected very high winds and rain, so I duct taped my windows, laid down on the couch for a nap and when I woke up, it was all over.  A few years ago, we did have what they called a macroburst where in a very short time, winds whipped around and we lost thousands of trees in the outer boroughs.  We have since replanted many of them.  No forest fires here, no earthquakes, no volcanoes.  We have had four major blackouts, though.  First one in 1965 covered the entire eastern seaboard, one in 1977 which was not as extensive, and 2003. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 16, 2018 5:12 PM MDT
      September 13, 2018 9:48 PM MDT

No but very, very close one year.  I wish I was better at posting pictures.  There have been many fires that have been too close for comfort.  We have left our house a couple of times, animals and fish included but not because it was mandatory.  It was strongly suggested.  We were on-the-line in 2016.  My parents had to leave their property. It was quite the fiasco.  They had horses, (they only have one pony at the moment), alpacas, goats, dogs and cats.  It was quite the trauma. Luckily, they were all o.k.  It was very, very frightening.  Also because of a fire.  
      September 13, 2018 11:40 PM MDT

Yes...thousands of people fled when the boredom index approached 10. I went all the way to Dayton.

This post was edited by Element 99 at September 16, 2018 5:13 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 8:08 AM MDT

And wiv and wet wiv ...
      September 14, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

I love John Denver and this song.  I'm glad you're o.k. :) :)
      September 14, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

not yet
      September 14, 2018 3:42 PM MDT