Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Where you ever bullied growing up or even as an adult?

Where you ever bullied growing up or even as an adult?

How did you respond? Were you able to resolve the issues?

Posted - September 15, 2018

Responses

yes, in nniddle school, kids would do all kinds of stuff like kick me in the stomach, throw rocks at me when i was walking home from school, they did all kinds of stuff, one time a rock hit near my eye and i had to get stitches, could never get them to stop, my parents owned a tailor shop and they decided to move closer to it and i got rid of them that way by living somewhere else and going to another school
      September 15, 2018 4:41 PM MDT

That awful. I’m sorry you had to endure this. It frightens me children that age can act this way.
      September 15, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

• I think we all encountered that problem on occasion when we were growing up. I had my share as there seems to be a trouble maker in every group of kids. The way it was handled back then, was that you encouraged your child to stand his ground and defend himself. As a matter of fact, if you didn't defend yourself, you were in trouble at home. If a parent encourages a child in that manner today, they go to jail. I think that's the wrong approach. As a matter of fact, a couple of my best friends over the last 50 years were once kids that I had to face and defend myself. I realize also that as an adult, you can't give everybody a black eye that gives you a problem. You can make it clear under no uncertain terms that inappropriate behavior would not go unchallenged. It's one way that the child is the father of the man.
      September 15, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

I remember my parents told me, “Fight as a last resort. Never throw the first punch and make sure you always throw the last one.” I was only bullied once in middle school. The kid put his hands on me and I beat the crap out of him. My parents stood up for me when speaking to the principal and didn’t punish me. 
      September 15, 2018 4:51 PM MDT

Far better to get a good hard wack in first if you're in the right....most all won't come back for more...plus they will leave you along from then on after...
      September 15, 2018 5:00 PM MDT

I agree but when it comes to law in America you have to prove you were justified if you threw the first strike. Being able to claim self-defense is much easier. I will admit when it comes to inmates I have struck first. We have a little more leeway. I had one who kept trying to get into my face. I gave him two warnings. The third time I struck him in his throat. The threat was immediately ended.
      September 15, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

They have to catch you first in England...lol
      September 15, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

I was never ever bullied and never ever bullied anyone....I was always very articulate ,plus grew up with two older  brothers and one older sister ...us three younger one had to learn how to hold our own...lol This post was edited by Nice Jugs at September 16, 2018 2:03 AM MDT
      September 15, 2018 4:49 PM MDT

No, I can say I wasn't bullied.

Looking back, I realize now that by just being myself, I got along with peers of all different kinds and different kinds of peer groups and no one ever treated me badly.

Yes, I can say I really enjoyed all my schooling. (I give my parents credit that in some unspoken way, they encouraged me to just be me --  they did that not in saying specific words to me about it --  they did it by their actions.)

As an adult, it's pretty much the same; I've not been treated badly by others.

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 15, 2018 8:10 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:12 PM MDT

Awesome. I kept to myself in school and still do except for my friends. 
      September 15, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

Yeah, that's interesting. I, too, sort of keep to myself more than others around me realize. I'm more introverted than people think I am. And along with my answer there -- I admit that I still had challenges in realizing my self-worth with myself as a person.

But you're right -- it's pretty awesome - - I'm grateful for a lot when I look around me and I look to my past (even though by no means was my family without challenges).

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 15, 2018 8:11 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:23 PM MDT

I find life easier keeping to myself. It keeps me out of other people’s drama and crap. If it doesn’t involve me, a family member, or friend, it isn’t my business. Obviously if there‘s a crime taking place I find it obligatory to intervene. This post was edited by Rizz at September 15, 2018 8:11 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

I can relate. (Not the crime part -- I'm not made for a career like yours.)
    :)

September 15, 2018 6:05 PM MDT

• Not bullied, but was subjected to extreme jeering in college as I preferred girls' company to boys'. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 15, 2018 8:11 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:53 PM MDT

There is nothing wrong with that and never was.  Look at the younger folk now.  It has almost become as normal as boy and girl.  You were a trend setter and didn't even know it. :) :)  More than a trend but you know what I mean.  :) :)
      September 15, 2018 6:38 PM MDT

• How time changes us! The guy who jeered at me most grew up to be a wonderful man. I ran into him unexpectedly a couple of years ago, and froze. He walked up to me and in a very gentlemanly way apologised for the hurt and humiliation he had caused me, assured me he bore no malice, and in retrospect respected me for resisting his sexual overtures. That was 25 years ago he said, and he was now a different person altogether married with two sons. . We have become good friends ever since. And would you believe it, he's now my investment advisor; and a very good one too! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 15, 2018 10:30 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 6:52 PM MDT

Happy Goosebumps!!!!!!!!!  Very Cool!!!
    Thanks Neelie for sharing that story.  It is good to know and see people to grow-up and take responsibility for their actions, no matter how far back they were.
    It is fantastic you both respected each other and moved beyond him misbehaving.   He even proved to be a good investment!!
     Big Giggles!!!
      September 15, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

• Thank you, Merlin. 
      September 15, 2018 7:00 PM MDT

Happy! Happy!
      September 15, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

I was never bullied but we moved around a lot so that may have made a difference.  I was always the "new kid on the block."  I did  learn how to fit in. 
    I have heard from a reliable source a rather odd way of learning how to cope if you are.
    Always wear good running shoes.
    Learn how to hit.
    If you throw the first punch, pray it brings him down.
    If it doesn't
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This post was edited by Merlin at September 15, 2018 8:12 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 6:02 PM MDT

Yes, I was bullied all through my school years. Being an extremely shy brainy person, I was beat up, slandered and ridiculed almost continuously.  Ignoring them didn't work and fighting back only made things worse.  Therapy proved that scars from those days stayed with me my entire life.
      September 15, 2018 6:22 PM MDT

Knowing you through the internet, I've found you very funny, smart and nice.  The things our peers didn't know back then.  Look at apple!  People like you and you have made huge advancements for us in the world.  
    Think Karma.  
    Big hugs and smiles! This post was edited by Merlin at September 15, 2018 10:25 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

The truth is many of you smart ”unpopular” people end up being the bosses of bullies once high school is over. Just remember that. I’d much rather have more intelligent friends. I would like to have friends like you. You are pleasant on here and you treat people well. People like you are kind. The world needs more of you. 
      September 15, 2018 6:42 PM MDT

I put popular in quotes because in reality and in the real world it means nothing. I’d rather have two or three close friends like I do now than 20-30 fake ones. A small amount of real friends is much more helpful and meaningful than phony friends. 
      September 15, 2018 6:46 PM MDT