Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What condition(s) causes one to become that which they so strongly claim to detest?

What condition(s) causes one to become that which they so strongly claim to detest?

This question was inspired by one of our more riveting members

Posted - September 15, 2018

Responses

Self Abuse.
    It's a vicious circle many can't climb out.
    They are beaten down and forget how great they really are.  They begin to believe they aren't as good as they are.  They are afraid.  They age.  They don't live up to their own expectations.  They are afraid to move forward.  They don't.  Then, the original person who knocked them down to begin with, wins.  They stay.  Round and round they go.  Abuse. whimper. Happy to please. Reward. Abuse. Whimper. Happy to please. Reward.. Don't go forward.  Always stay in the circle. ...and so on.

This post was edited by Merlin at September 15, 2018 6:04 PM MDT
      September 15, 2018 5:50 PM MDT

Hello again Merlin
    A fine day to you...
    You have described perfectly why someone would stay in an abusive relationship, the "reward" being the justification and the abuse that takes away a sense of self worth...This cycle can lead to the abused learning to be an abuser themselves...
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply
      September 15, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

You're welcome design.  I hope you are having a great day as well. :) :)
      September 15, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

not sure
      September 15, 2018 5:53 PM MDT

Hello Pearl...
    Give it some thought m'dear, see what you may come up with...It is not an easy question and there is no "right" answer
    In any case, have a wonderful day
      September 15, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

I don’t know the exact saying, but it basically says often times we hate or dislike those who are a lot like us. This isn’t always the case. Some people are so set in their ways and stubborn they are separated from reality. Others blindly follow specific beliefs and the bias shields them from reality.  
      September 15, 2018 6:02 PM MDT

Hello there Rizz
    Kind of like saying..."he disrespected me so I punched him in the face...
    "It is often easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them" Alfrde Alder
    Thank you for your response and keep up the good work

September 15, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

Ask a progressive bigot.
      September 16, 2018 8:14 AM MDT

Good Morning Thriftymaid...
    If I thought there was a chance of getting a reasonable answer, I would...
    Thank you for your response
      September 16, 2018 9:47 AM MDT

I think when we become so self-centered we are unable to see or acknowledge anyone else's point of view.  Then our hatred blinds us to what we are doing. 
      September 16, 2018 10:10 AM MDT

I believe in the value of tolerance,
    meaning to let each live as he/she wishes
    so long as it doesn't cause harm to others or limit their equal rights to the same.
    When I was young - and for a very long time - I was full of endless curiosity.
    But now I am sick of being lectured to, sick of people trying to sell me their brand of snake oil.

So I find I have increasingly less tolerance for views unlike my own.
    I can listen, inquire and learn with each person's view... once... but that's my limit.
    After that, I want no more contact because it's too tiring.
    I know they don't want to hear and certainly won't agree with my views - so what's the point?
    I'd love to have deep connection with like minds - but where do I find them?

So I am becoming the thing that I most detest - intolerant.

Oh - and there's one big issue that really worries me. Global warming.
    While everybody is busy disagreeing, the planet approaches the point where life as we now know it will suffer radical catastrophic extinctions.

I don't want to be tolerant of the anthropocentric climate change nay-sayers - because until we get global cooperation we can't even begin to limit the damage.
    How's that for irony?

This post was edited by inky at April 10, 2021 6:17 PM MDT
      September 16, 2018 2:24 PM MDT

Whether we admit it to ourselves or not, I believe that we're all hypocrites in one way or another.

EDIT: To me, that is a large part of my answer.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 10, 2021 6:19 PM MDT
      April 10, 2021 6:17 PM MDT