Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Do you live in a community that has a real sense of community

Do you live in a community that has a real sense of community

Posted - September 15, 2018

Responses

I'm only close friends with my neighbors on either side of my place.
      September 15, 2018 8:14 PM MDT

Hello Thriftymaid
    Is that by choice or is the neighborhood just not engaging
      September 16, 2018 9:42 AM MDT

No....London is the most unfriendly city in England.....nearly every one is obsessed with making money and ripping people off...:(
      September 16, 2018 2:36 AM MDT

Hello Nice Jugs
    Well that is a shame, London looks like such a beautiful city, full of history and incredible architecture
    I live near San Francisco, which is becoming quite unfriendly as well...

September 16, 2018 9:39 AM MDT

I live 4-5 miles from the heart of the city and I feel more and more lost every time I go there...The old character of  london has been destroyed now and most of the beautiful old biuldings bave been demolished to make way for the most ugly glass walled  high rise buildings you have ever seen....
    why any one would wish to visit it is beyond me.....every road is messed up to drive down....you can't even stop to drop some one off...strangly ,black taxi Cab can...a 3 mile cab fare cost £25 pounds aprox $33 Dolars in anerica....
    They don't deserve to have jobs....
      September 16, 2018 11:13 AM MDT

Hello again Nice Jugs...
    We are doing the same thing here in the states.. our history is in its infancy compared to England's but we are tearing it down.
    From statues to grand mansions of the gilded age we are razing them for a variety of reasons. 
    and oh c'mon....you dont like the Gherkin??? hahaha 
      September 17, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

I've walked around the Gherkin many times...yes it sticks out ,but it's no great design or architecture ...
    Its   just another glass  mundane building that I have no desire to look at... :(
      September 17, 2018 3:10 PM MDT

Not sure what that means. People look out for each other and care what is happening which is I think as good as you can do with that. 
      September 16, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

• I live in a community where I wish I was somewhere else.
      September 16, 2018 12:46 PM MDT

nope
    never have
    had to look it up to be sure that i really understood what it meant

McMillan and Chavis say a "sense of community" requires five qualities: boundaries, emotional safety, a sense of belonging and identification, personal investment, a common symbol system.

i've never encountered a social environment in which people were reliable in their boundaries, except a few that were small and controlled by a responsible leader

to be fair - i'm probably what people call over-sensitive. One nasty word and i'm out.
      September 16, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

Hello Nom de Plume...
    I asked this question before I left to our annual "Harvest Dinner" at the local fire station the other night. It seemed like most the town was there.
    I live about 20 minutes south of San Francisco. While most of the bay area is too concerned with self and there is really no sense of community, my little town has managed to hold on to those principles you mentioned above. 
    Every week end we will have thousands of visitors who arrive on their bicycles, motorcycles, and sports cars to drive our beautiful, windy roads, however on monday you wont see a speck of trash because if we happen to see trash, we will pull over and clean it up. Unfortunately these roads tempt people to drive too fast and accidents are far too frequent.
    We have festivals, parades. Dinners, Breakfasts...my favorite is the once a week breakfasts at Alices. Everybody knows everybody.
    We all love living here and take pride that we do. You will rarely see homes for sale or rent here, once people move here they dont leave.
    We respect the history of the town, the original Woodside store still stands and is maintained by volunteers. we respect the "symbolism" of the town so you will never see a 7-11 or McDonalds here.
    These are things that make up a sense of community for me, and i am very fortunate to live in this community...

September 17, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

not really to be honest
      September 16, 2018 2:45 PM MDT