Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Have you recently developed any new pet peeve(s) if so what are they?

Have you recently developed any new pet peeve(s) if so what are they?

ungratefulness, selfishness, and controlling 

Posted - September 16, 2018

Responses

No, not really.  I was enjoying this fine Sunday afternoon free of stress for a change: thinking about my sweet, sweet partner and how much I miss him.  Such a wonderful fine person he is: caring, giving, attentive (very attentive), and so ready to do little things for me as I have done for him. 
    It's what helps make our relationship work. I just hope he is having a great day as well. 

September 16, 2018 4:29 PM MDT

Yes, the cat was sick on the carpet so I'm peeved with that pet.
      September 16, 2018 4:33 PM MDT

Darn, the little rascal.  Hope it isn't too much to clean up. 
      September 16, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

yes, when people are rude
      September 16, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

That does happen from time to time. People have bad days, perhaps something personal is really bothering them. Sometimes people turn inward and are unaware of how they come off to others.  Under "extreme" stress I've had my moments.  Then there are those who don't know any other way.  Nothing you can do but move forward. 
      September 16, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

People who have little to no knowledge about a subject, feel the need to give their opinions anyway, and are refuse to actually educate thes elves on the topic. 
      September 16, 2018 5:26 PM MDT

Oh...you met my brother-in-law, I see.
      September 17, 2018 7:28 AM MDT

LOL
      September 17, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

Nope, I'm pretty much peeved out from a long time ago, none of them are new. 

~
      September 16, 2018 8:44 PM MDT

Monologues.
    You know - the ones who never draw breath and never ask questions.

If the talker is just attention-seeking, narcissistic, obsessive, evangelical or fanatical,
    I no longer quietly listen for 4 hours or more.

Six minutes is my new limit,
    unless I'm at a public talk, reading or performance,
    or a friend is in genuine need.

I'm working on an arsenal of tactics for boundaries.

This post was edited by inky at September 20, 2018 5:38 AM MDT
      September 16, 2018 9:50 PM MDT

I had college professors like that. One got fired.
      September 18, 2018 1:48 PM MDT

Oh! I thought the professors had a licence to talk, at least in lectures.
    I guess a lot depends on how well they do their job.
    I remember Prof. John Armstrong on philosophy. His words set my mind on fire.
    Nothing repeated, nothing unnecessary, always a challenge to deeper thought. This post was edited by inky at September 19, 2018 3:55 PM MDT
      September 18, 2018 10:33 PM MDT

I had a Professor David Dollimore who was like that. I miss him. Friends from all over the world came to his funeral.
      September 19, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Just one for me. Stupid people en masse or individually. Whichever comes first.
      September 17, 2018 7:31 AM MDT

For you, what defines stupid?
      September 17, 2018 10:32 PM MDT

To me, stupid is not learning from one's mistakes and remaining ignorant.
      September 18, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

Yep - learning from mistakes would have to be the basic minimum requirement for intelligence.

I would have defined stupidity as
    the inability to recognise patterns and use them to solve problems,
    or,
    the choice to remain ignorant/deliberate refusal to learn.

Not sure which.

Would still like to know Zack's definition.

September 18, 2018 10:17 PM MDT

No new ones recently. I'm stuck with the ones I have had for many years.
      September 17, 2018 8:34 AM MDT

I'm more of a pet "lover" not a "peever."  Developing some are looking to things that bother me.  I try not to do that.  I do have one that has stayed true to the word forever.  I'm trying to get over it but here it is.
    I really have a hard time with people and animals that won't listen.  There is a difference between hearing and listening.  If I am trying to communicate with an animal (people included)  please take the time to listen and then run away.  At least I know you listened to what I was saying and reflect on it. 
      September 17, 2018 12:42 PM MDT

I'm sorry...what did you say?
      September 17, 2018 1:15 PM MDT

See?  At least you took the time to read, try and comprehend what I was saying and go as far as to find out what part you didn't understand.  That brings true Happiness to me. 

Did I make this joke backfire on you?
    Or, did the second sentence through you into a loop?  It was poorly written.  To clarify, if that was the hang-up, it would read better if I had written:  Developing "new" pet peeves would require me to look for "new" things that bother me....
    Big winks and smiles!
      September 18, 2018 11:55 AM MDT

I love pets too - in fact, most animals.
    I find they are excellent listeners, far more accurate than most humans.
    The latest statistics from Psychology Today are that the average person can listen  accurately  for 45 seconds.
    After that, the attention wanders to their own thoughts and reactions.
    So the quicker we sum up what we want to say, the more likely we will be heard.

This post was edited by inky at September 18, 2018 10:24 PM MDT
      September 18, 2018 10:51 AM MDT

Indeed.  Listening is one of their better attributes.  I talk with them too. I listen to what they say and feel and pay attention to their concerns and share their happy times.  Most people just talk to them.  Sometimes that is what is needed.
    Animal therapy  has worked wonders on people in hospitals and in every day normal life.  One of my mom's dogs is a therapy dog. His name is McKinley. He's on the tall side; hence, his name.  He's a larger than normal Standard poodle.  He does his rounds every other Wednesday at the hospital.   My mom also takes him to the public library on Thursdays for reading time.  She goes and sits on the floor and reads to the children with McKinley.  The kids LOVE it.  It has been a huge success and the children look forward to seeing McKinley and learning to read.  Other libraries are taking a look at introducing it in their libraries.  
    I thought the attention span for humans was 7 minutes.  Boy, was I way off!  Maybe that was for dogs!  Big giggles.  Goes to show who actually cares and is paying attention to what you are saying.
    I hope I haven't gone over my 45 seconds.  I have a tendency to write with detail.  I'm trying to break that.  Obviously I didn't do a very good job on this response.  Big smiles.  I have to take the truck in to get the oil changed and smoged. (sp?) Is that with 2 "g s?"  So, when I disappear here in a few minutes, please know, I wish you a great day! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 18, 2018 9:43 PM MDT
      September 18, 2018 11:23 AM MDT

I was messin' with you, dear.
      September 18, 2018 1:45 PM MDT