Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Thanks to an Answermug pal I learned about an animated version of Charlotte's Web about which I knew nothing. Aren't pals great?

Thanks to an Answermug pal I learned about an animated version of Charlotte's Web about which I knew nothing. Aren't pals great?

Which brings up something that affects all of us all the time.

There are untold treasures everywhere all the time about which we are unaware unless we get very lucky and someone tells us about them. If they don't we lose out and will never know about them. I think that is incredibly sad. Do you? There is a Thomas Gray poem which deals with it that I've quoted from before.  I shall do so again here.  "Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its fragrance on the desert air". If  not verbatim that is the gist of it. SIGH.

Posted - September 17, 2018

Responses

Thomas Gray was/is great.

It's fantastic to share, to come across new interest thanks to friends, and luck is no doubt much involved. I get the melancholy associated to this: sometimes one will have to wonder how much beauty is out there perhaps never to be discovered or recovered. The way I solved this luxurious sadness for myself is by considering how brief our time here is anyhow, that our lives will always be packed with something, that we wouldn't be able to experience all that greatness anyhow and therefore don't effectively lose out by not knowing all.

To illustrate: I could very easily have missed this question, but then I would have seen something else; vice versa, by responding to this I'm bound to be ignorant to another impulse. I can't be expected to be on here all the time, and even if this were possible there's so much else that I'd be missing out on. If it's always a win-lose sort of scenario, focus on the gain.

So on the one hand I say let's be grateful, and on the other let's simply minimize how much we do that is of average (let alone below average) quality. This post was edited by Danilo_G at September 17, 2018 9:01 AM MDT
      September 17, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

((HUGS)) Can you tell I love this reply DaniloG? What gave me away? Yes you're right there is a certain melancholy attached to it and me. Just as when celebrities die and we learn many things about them in testimonials and remembrances and eulogies that we never knew. Some of them are very good and  some  aren't so hot. I ran across a movie a few years ago when I was just browsing (or maybe I was meant to find it) called "HACHI". I don't know if you know anything about but it is a remarkable story about something that happened in Japan about 1925! I've seen the movie several times and am moved to tears every time even though I know what's coming. It's about the love and devotion of a dog for his master. I will leave it at that since perhaps one day you will watch it. If you do have boxes of Kleenex nearby. I'm just sayin'! Oh and to bring home the value of internet social site pals I shall share this with you as well. I have a very good friend whom I met on Answerbag and we've stayed in touch. She travels a lot with her husband they took a trip to Japan, Tokyo specifically. There is a statue of Hachi in the Shibuyu Train Station ! I asked if it were convenient if she could stop by it and take a picture. She did and emailed it to me.  She shares pictures of her travels with me at my request since I stay at home  a lot and she travels the world. That meant a lot to me because it was as if I visited Hachi myself through a friend. Sorry for the long reply but I had a lot to share with you. Thank you for your reply DaniloG!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 17, 2018 10:19 AM MDT
      September 17, 2018 6:40 AM MDT

Haha, I do like that it's never hard to tell what it is you love. As it happens, I have seen Hachi. Dogs and faithfulness are the best, and never far apart. I'm not a good tear-upper during movies myself but, if I recall correctly, Richard Gere accepted the role because he cried reading the screenplay. You're welcome, Rosie!
      September 17, 2018 10:24 AM MDT

That is precisely and absolutely correct DaniloG! I'm glad you saw it! It's worth seeing for any animal lover don'tcha think? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      September 17, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

(another great answer)

:)

September 17, 2018 7:14 PM MDT

Thanks, Welbz! That's not a typo, by the way: I think Welbz sounds pretty cool. You're the great pal who inspired this question in the first place, aren't you?
      September 18, 2018 3:24 AM MDT

Yes, I am.
    I love that 1973 movie --  it's a touching, darling little thing of a movie.

I like Welbz.
      September 18, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

Yes!
      September 17, 2018 6:36 AM MDT