Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you follow the newest findings in nutrition? Or do you cook or order comfort food no matter what?

Do you follow the newest findings in nutrition? Or do you cook or order comfort food no matter what?

I personally don't "give a damn", I still cook traditional foods I learned to prepare when I was a child. I eat eggs, bacon, salami, butter, whipping cream, ice cream, lots of home-made bread, potatoes, bake cakes and cookies, and have a vodka or whiskey every day to wash it all down. Not to mention red wine...I can afford it because I have a healthy immune system  and a very good functioning heart. Doctors over the years prescribed medicine I never took ( I am just on a little water tablet - age related ). Cholesterol panel is excellent, osteoarthrosis keeps itself within its borders - - and I still feel like 28 rather than 82. I am pretty sure that comments are coming in where I can say more about all of this. Can I say:  Prosit ( Latin for: may it be good for you!) ??

Posted - September 17, 2018

Responses

• Please, friends - or soon to be friends.... - do not brood over this too seriously. If you have a funny or silly answer, that would be appreciated by me, too. I like having fun!
      September 17, 2018 2:11 PM MDT

• both. 

everything is okay in moderation. 

i am a vegan, i take multivitamins and supplements, i dont eat after seven, and all the other stuff that is recommended we do/dont do. i also exercise a ton. eating a plantbased diet has made me feel better than i ever have. 

i still have a mega sweet tooth and am actually eating ice cream as i type this
      September 17, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

• Thank you for your first response! I have no experience with vegan food, but if it suits you and you feel good - fine! I am a meat eater, like the old vandals. And : Icecream is no junk food, if it is made with real sugar and real cream. It is said that when you crave a certain food, the body needs it! Nice to meet you!
      September 17, 2018 2:24 PM MDT

Right now I'm out of ideas.  I am so tired of vegetable soup to loose weight.  I'm seriously thinking about taking some cooking lessons this coming February, preferably vegetarian meals. I like being a vegetarian, meat has lost my interest. When i was a vegetarian,  I was missing all the right vitamins in my diet and had to return to a regular diet.  I am not happy eating meat anymore. 
      September 17, 2018 2:27 PM MDT

• To prepare meat the right way is an artform. Maybe you can upload some recipes with meat and veggies which compliment each other. Spices are very important, my spice cabinet has everything you could think of. Do the spice department in a store and read the labels of every spice. I am certain some spices would appeal to you for preparing meat.
      September 17, 2018 2:32 PM MDT

Hello Whitehair...
    I like my glutton deep fried in saturated fats...hehe
    No, I pay no attention to the latest in nutritional fads, and I see no sense in sugar free doughnuts...
    I try to use common sense with my diet and lifestyle. 
    Fortunately I am very active and seem to be moving all the time..which I think has been more responsible for my good health than my diet...

September 17, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

• Sounds wonderful to me! Common sense is the key to everything we do! Cannot move much anymore, but I shorten my portions. My doctor in Germany once said: If you can do your own toenails effectively, you are in good shape. That is wghat I still can do... ♥

September 17, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Hello White hair...
    So true..my son asked me over Thanksgiving when I would consider myself "old"...my answer was " when I can no longer hop up into the green waste garbage bin to stomp down leaves, I will consider myself old..
      December 2, 2019 5:51 PM MST

I don’t follow healthy food trends. Especially new ones. I take advice from my doctor. I eat in moderation, watch my fat intake, sodium intake, and watch my calorie consumption. Genetics will often get to people before eating habits will. Of course there are exceptions, like eating fast food every day or eating so much you‘re 500+ pounds.
      September 17, 2018 3:00 PM MDT

We dont ever eat foods that are GM that's written in the label....in Anerica I believe you don't have to say if the food you sell contains GM products...
    We eat organic where we can,mostly low saturated fat foods and no processed added sugar or high in sodium (salts) 
    Table salt is just pure sodium with all the other minerals stripped out of it....
    We use sea salt rich in minerals and only GI breads We don't eat at MacDonalds or any junk food places...
    We don't Drink any carbonated sugary drinks like Coke or Pepsie and never ever and so called diet poisonous drinks....  
      September 17, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

• Thanks, NJ. I can also nod here to everything you write. I buy Florida Cane Sugar instead of that bleached white stuff, I buy Himalayan Pink Salt, with so much Enzymes and Minerals in it that you can forget taking your vitamins, I also buy unprocessed honey, which has 86 living enzymes. McDonalds is out since several years. When we were actively traveling, once in a blue moon we went there, not anymore in any fast food restaurant. We only drink once in a while a cold Coke - with real sugar - when the Florida heat is creeping up on us, otherwise we have a 3-filter system in our unit, our faucet water serves us well. Diet drinks are poisenous, you are right. I spend a lot time in the grocery store checking the labels.
      September 17, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

Good...it all seems to work well for you..
      September 17, 2018 4:29 PM MDT

i dont cook, i nnicrowave
      September 17, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

• I somehow learned that the microwave changes the cell structur of most foods  - not to the better. But I am uneducated in this matter, I only use it to shortly warm foods or coffee. Maybe someone in the knowledge can contribute more about this.
      September 17, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

Never cook processed meats as it alters  the chemicals in them,eggs in their shell will explode ,leafy greens or heat any oils...
    If you heat a cup of water for a few seconds to long.....the whole content can jump out of the mug seconds after you open the door...and you get scolded...
    never cook rice or things in sealed bags....never heat yogurt or sour cream 
    Never heat hot peppers as they will catch fire...the capsaicin that released as well will burn your eyes and throat when you open the door...
    Grapes explode and catch fire to.....
      September 17, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

• Thank you for your advice! I hope many people read it!
      September 17, 2018 5:00 PM MDT

:)
      September 17, 2018 5:09 PM MDT

• i have read that microwaves actually preserve the nutrients if foods! when you cook food, it loses nuntrients. the less time you cook it, the less nutrients are lost.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/2017-06-02/is-microwaving-food-bad-for-your-health
      September 17, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

Yep. The rest is just myths.

The cooking method that best retains nutrients is one that cooks quickly, heats food for the shortest amount of time, and uses as little liquid as possible. Microwaving meets those criteria. Using the microwave with a small amount of water essentially steams food from the inside out. That keeps in more vitamins and minerals than almost any other cooking method and shows microwave food can indeed be healthy.
      September 17, 2018 5:47 PM MDT

• I read your link. Thank you. When I get even older as I am now, I certainly have to refer to my microwave to heat up prepared foods somrtimes. Good to know.
      September 17, 2018 6:31 PM MDT

I'm with you on your eating habits, moderation  (as stated above) at my age is the key ... 
      September 17, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

• Aaawww- Bacon, Bacon!
      September 17, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

September 17, 2018 6:33 PM MDT

You have listed all the things I love too. I am coming to your house.
      September 17, 2018 4:53 PM MDT