Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » do you feel sorry for very obese people or do you feel nothing because they did it to themselves

do you feel sorry for very obese people or do you feel nothing because they did it to themselves

Posted - September 17, 2018

Responses

I don't judge obese people because I don't know their story of why they are obese.
      September 17, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

I don't feel sorry for them - because I don't feel sorry for most people.
      September 17, 2018 2:53 PM MDT

It depends on each individual’s situation. I have no sympathy for people who eat constantly and don’t exercise while not suffering from something like depression. Even then they need to seek help. Some people have diseases and illnesses that make them obese. Some people have weight gain as a side effect of medication. I would rather know their full situation before passing judgment. 
      September 17, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

Living the Questions - Barbara Markway Ph.D.
    10 Reasons to Stop Judging People
    Judging someone does not define who they are; it defines who you are.      https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/living-the-questions/201410/10-reasons-stop-judging-people

Personally - I live and let live...
      September 17, 2018 3:02 PM MDT

I feel they are dong the best they can with whatever situation or issue is presented to them.  Sometimes, it is out of their control .  Unless I know the reasons and why, I feel the same to them as anybody.  I wish them the best and hope they are happy. This post was edited by Merlin at September 18, 2018 10:03 AM MDT
      September 17, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

a little of both
      September 17, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

Vincent Fellitti, M.D.  who ran an obesity clinic in San Diego found that there was a strong correlation between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Obesity among other things.  I cannot judge people for trying to comfort themselves to get relief from deep emotional scars.  There is probably also a genetic component to obesity - I couldn't gain so much weight if I had to.  I can't judge them for the way they were born either.
      September 17, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

Sorry for - somewhat - yes - because I know too well what lies ahead for them in their future - an earlier onset of old age, increased suffering and a decades earlier death. I've had to look after elderly people who suffer diabetes (sometimes including gangrene, loss of limbs and blindness), heart and blood pressure problems, frontal-lobe dementia from lack of oxygen to brain due to heart, incontinence due to dementia, and crippling arthritis pain due to joints worn out by weight.
    It is a constant discomfort, burden and disability to have to carry excess weight.

Judgement, no.
    CallMelshamael is right about trauma scars and genetic components, while others are right about weight as a side effect of other health issues. Another big factor can be parents overfeeding their young with a poor diet from birth - it changes normal metabolism. No one can know what an obese person's issues are - and it's no one's business but theirs. This post was edited by inky at September 18, 2018 5:53 AM MDT
      September 17, 2018 6:07 PM MDT

The “big” people I’ve known don’t want my pity, therefore it serves me no use to pity them.

I’ve found that obesity often accompanies, or is a symptom of, other personal problems, few of which prevent one from being a good person. None of which are my affair.
      September 17, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

I feel nothing.  Period.  No because.
      September 17, 2018 7:38 PM MDT

It's not of my business. I value people for who they are, not for physical characteristics.
      September 18, 2018 5:55 AM MDT

No have rather my hands full keeping my own appetite in check enough to prevent myself from becoming obese. 
      September 18, 2018 6:10 AM MDT

Many people confuse hunger with feelings of anxiety, and so being obese is often a deeper emotional disorder stemming from something else in their lives. Some grow up with feelings that were never understood, or addressed and instead food was used as a comforter.

September 23, 2018 4:31 PM MDT