Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why are some people so fascinated by and interested in politicians?

Why are some people so fascinated by and interested in politicians?

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

You mean there is something other than politics to talk about? Lol

Policians have some control over our lives....sometimes more, sometimes less. But they do have input into our lifes.
      September 18, 2018 7:27 AM MDT

No  can't see that. My life goes on besides them and I don't hear from them so they have no input.  Their world just seems to me like the Twilight Zone, the demimonde or something like that.  Subject to its own rules and regulations which have nothing to do with  me.  I vote for the person who comes closest to what I believe is right and then just let them do their thing.  Which I could not do nor would I choose to do.

There is a lot of politics on this site so I do post sometimes in response but I always sort of feel when I do I have wasted my energies and could have used my time and thought much more productively. 

September 18, 2018 8:08 AM MDT

Most of our lives can be led ignoring what they have to say. But then you may turn around and wonder how something you do daily just became illegal. Or how something is now legal that you never thought would be.  Or your tax bill is much higher than the year before but your income did not change.  Or that there are much more people competing for your job because they just gave the illegals amnesty. Or they draft your step-daughter for a war because of a feminist politician wanted everything the same....etc. 

September 18, 2018 9:54 AM MDT

Which is why I vote for them.  Or don't vote for them.  But sorry I have no interest in fawning and fussing over them and examining the excruciatingly boring minutiae of their lives 24/7. 
      September 19, 2018 8:51 AM MDT

Those of us who vote elect these people to represent us, to see our business done in the halls of power.
    It is of interest to know if we’re getting what we voted for. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 18, 2018 2:15 PM MDT
      September 18, 2018 7:58 AM MDT

But we vote for people which is not like buying a product we expect to do a certain thing.  And I have no business at all in the "halls of power". My own power has nothing to do with their "halls".  Most elected don't represent me at all and those who do only in some things.  I don't believe we can or should look to government to lead our lives for us.  They are much too precious for politics. 
      September 18, 2018 8:15 AM MDT

We vote for people who (allegedly) share our views, support or oppose the things we support or oppose. It is our single, most powerful means of ”being heard” in the processes of government. 
    It may not matter much to some and matter too much to others, but there is precious little in terms of other alternatives to affect real change (or to prevent unwanted change) in the way we are governed, if thst is something you find important. 

On a personal note, I’m a wealthy person, I pay (and have paid) a lot of taxes. It is of interest to me that those dollars be used in ways that don’t offend me, that my grandkids will be able to enjoy what I’ve worked for, and that those in a positon to have a say in it reflect my views. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 19, 2018 8:53 AM MDT
      September 18, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

But then why can't we just vote for them - do you imagine that if I don't choose to make them the focus of my life then somehow I don't care?

While perhaps not "wealthy" we do well and yes pay a lot in taxes.  And yes am offended by how it is used or a lot of it is.  Which not a lot I can do about it.  Except complain which is negative and a waste of time. My father used to say only two ways to get something - either work for it and earn it or take it from someone else.  Politicians have their lives, my husband and I have ours.  Sorry cannot muster much interest in theirs. 
      September 19, 2018 9:00 AM MDT

probably cause theyre interested in politics
      September 18, 2018 9:42 AM MDT

Answering without looking at other replies, so that I am not unduly influenced...  I think it's because it matters.. what they think, what they do, what kind of character they are, whether they are moral, whether they have made good or bad decisions, how they have handled those things.. all these things indicate whether someone is moral or capable.. that matters to me as I wouldn't want ever to have someone useless, immoral or unable to be trusted running things and making proposals that affect me and my life
      September 18, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

Their values and decisions directly and indirectly affect our lives.
      September 18, 2018 9:47 AM MDT

As others pointed out ... even though you may think politics don't affect your daily life, it does.

Though I find it ironic that most of the people who pay attention to national politics, totally ignore local politics (which have a far greater impact on their daily lives).  EG: They may complain about the federal Education Department, but never attend their local school board meetings.

September 18, 2018 11:13 AM MDT

• In my case it's because I have a politician in the family.He was a Labour MP in a safe constituency,a junior minister and now sits in the Lords.
      September 28, 2018 6:16 AM MDT