Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Why do some people so love to dig up and pass around "dirt" on others?

Why do some people so love to dig up and pass around "dirt" on others?

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

Most people love to gossip.
      September 18, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

True but why just about such things?   I pass around dirt about myself on here but would not feel right doing it about others.  Its not very respectful. 
      September 18, 2018 8:18 AM MDT

That type of dirt is much more interesting to gossip about than just saying so and so went to work Monday. 
      September 18, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

cause the people that do it are being nnean
      September 18, 2018 9:41 AM MDT

Passes the time? They have nothing better to do? It makes them feel better about themselves to run others down? All of the above? But being generous sometimes it's borne of a genuine interest in people? I love to know about what's going on in people's lives.. I like to follow their story, to see them develop and overcome difficult times. For me the ONLY thing about my job that I actually like is that I get to make genuine connections with people
      September 18, 2018 9:41 AM MDT

I think Adaydreambeliever probably has the best answer.

I doubt that people go to the effort and expense of "digging up dirt" unless there's an important reason behind it:
    to bring down a rival or enemy in commerce or politics
    to find out whether a spouse is being faithful
    to determine a potential employee's fitness
    to find out whether others have been happy with a tradesman's or professional's work

When it comes to gossip; it often creates a sense of being linked into some kind of community, of belonging and connection between members.
    In rural communities, such gossip is sometimes the only way to find out whether someone is competent and trustworthy at what they do.
      September 18, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

Society loves tragedy and the misery of others. Notice how the news is mostly negative? Notice how in America our society is obsessed with celebrities, athletes and their personal lives? I think at least in part, it takes their minds of their own misery and suffering. 
      September 18, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

I would guess that at least 80% of the time it's make up and pass around.....
      September 18, 2018 7:17 PM MDT