Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » When the piggery got flooded in Jackson, did someone remember to evacuate the pigs first?

When the piggery got flooded in Jackson, did someone remember to evacuate the pigs first?

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

i hope so
      September 18, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

The bipeds or the ones with cloven hoofs?
      September 18, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

The four legged ones - thousands of them cramped into pens in one massive barn with doors closed.
    The aerial film showed the flood waters around Jackson more than a meter deep, cars washed off roads, homes ruined.
    It said the piggery had been flooded, mentioned the dangers of the effluent flowing out into the waters,
    but made no mention of whether the pigs were saved or drowned.
    There's a story there. If they were moved, where to, how, when, and by whom?
    If not, where and how do they bury the corpses?  And how do the farmers cope with the financial losses?
    Pig are as emotional, social and intelligent as dogs.
    Surely if the same happened to dogs there would be a major outcry.
      September 18, 2018 2:33 PM MDT

I agree.  I wasn't aware of this story, so I have no answers.  I'm not sure a story of that nature would be a big one in NYC, but I do hope the pigs made it.  There will be a lot of chemicals and detritus in the flood waters.  I suspect bottled water will have to be used for a long time.
      September 18, 2018 2:41 PM MDT

:(  True.
      September 18, 2018 10:03 PM MDT

There is a story on yahoo this morning regarding your question.  It's very sad that so many animals weren't able to be saved.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-7-million-chickens-drown-175600464.html
      September 19, 2018 6:50 AM MDT