Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I am a plant-aholic.. what are you addicted to that's legal of fairly legal? I don't want anyone to get themselves in trouble here :P

I am a plant-aholic.. what are you addicted to that's legal of fairly legal? I don't want anyone to get themselves in trouble here :P

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

probably the net, i used to keep plants around but since inn allergic i gave thenn away
      September 18, 2018 2:36 PM MDT

I have more plants than i know what to do with - 43 as of today.  
      September 18, 2018 2:50 PM MDT

I’m a coffee addict and I’m proud of it! - Also
      September 18, 2018 3:15 PM MDT

Pizza, tacos, coffee, music, and sports. 
      September 18, 2018 3:33 PM MDT

Plants!  I'm a sucker for plants! (I don't just have a green thumb, I have green hands!) 
    I have 3 pineapple pants - one of which has fruited twice and is now over 8 feet tall.  All were green from the tops of pineapples.   I started the newest one in April (from the top of the fruit off the big plant) and it's already nearly 2 feet tall.   
    I also have 23 avocado trees (in pots) - several of which are over 14 feet tall.  All were grom from the pits of avocado I've eaten.  Right now they (along with numerous other plants (cacti, spider, fern, etc.) are on my patio.  Before the first freeze comes, they all have to come inside (the trees go to the garage).
    Outside along my back fence I have 20 Japanese Maple trees (in pots) - all transplanted from little seedlings I've found in my yard over the years.  Some are now over 30 years old! Thankfully they can survive the cold winters outside.

Just think how many plants I could have if I lived in a warmer climate!! 

September 18, 2018 4:31 PM MDT

I have never been successful growing an avocado pit.  What is your secret?  I have to have plants that only require light because I have no sun other than a couple of hours on my bedroom windowsill.  
      September 18, 2018 7:34 PM MDT

3 toothpicks and a 5 oz glass
    Stick pointed ends of toothpicks 1/4" into avocado pit slightly above the pit's equator so that  each is 1/3 around the pit (tripod)
    Balance the pit (pointed side up) on the glass by setting it on the toothpicks.
    keep water level to rim of glass until a root forms (don't change the water). 
    Place in a sunny location (such as window sill) away from drafts
    Once a stem forms out of the top, pull out toothpicks and plant the pit in a pot

Pits do NOT like to get cold!!  Window sills can get too cold in the wintertime.  Do not refrigerate the pit before planting.
      September 18, 2018 10:38 PM MDT

Thank you.  I have done the toothpick thing, but I may have made the mistake of refrigerating the avocado.  I'll try your way next time.  
      September 19, 2018 5:49 AM MDT

WOW.
      September 19, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

That sounds like a place I would love too - the more plants the merrier :) It's great that you have been able to grow so many yourself. 
      September 19, 2018 7:44 AM MDT

I grew an avocado tree from
    the seed/pit from an avocado.
    Grew up nice and tall...
    ...I kept looking for avocados to grow...
    kept waiting...hahaha...yearly...
    ...finally found out that
    if you grow it from the seed/pit from an avocado
    it will not produce Avocados.
    Bummer
    I cut the tree down
    it was crowding other stuff.
      September 19, 2018 5:33 PM MDT

That's true.  Although I believe they can be pollinated (I have no clue as to how).  One of my trees has actually bloomed several times.  I really don't want any avocados, I just like the thrill of growing them.
      September 19, 2018 9:57 PM MDT

British women...sorry, can't help myself.
      September 18, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

I’m a sucker for the female British accent. It drives me insane in a good way.
      September 18, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

My only claim to American fame.. when I and my daughter visited, we had so many people we spoke to tell us they loved our accent. I would reply that actually, I love theirs too, and I do. My American friend, said, quite cheekily I felt, that they only liked how we spoke because they thought we were Toffs, (as in posh people).. Oh well it was nice to dream I am posh for a while :P
      September 19, 2018 7:47 AM MDT

Well the cops around here are pretty busy doing selective law enforcement (writing traffic tickets) so I think I can safely say that I'm a plant aholic too but just the plants that contain THC. Cheers!  
      September 18, 2018 6:59 PM MDT

Ice Cream. 
      September 18, 2018 7:08 PM MDT

• i too have more plants than i know what to do with. idk the exact number but last time i counted it was about 50 
      September 19, 2018 12:15 AM MDT

Coffee, black and strong enough to stand up and fight me.
      September 19, 2018 8:09 AM MDT