Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In the San Fernando Valley going to TOMMY'S for chili/burgers was a "rite of passage" for teenage boys. What rite of passage did YOU honor?

In the San Fernando Valley going to TOMMY'S for chili/burgers was a "rite of passage" for teenage boys. What rite of passage did YOU honor?

That was how one of them described it to me. After going to a sports event or movie or party they'd all end up at TOMMY'S. A local hangout. A tradition. Did you have any traditions/hangouts as teens?

Posted - September 19, 2018

Responses

No places like that. Was primarily a suburban/bedroom community for men who worked in New York.   And most of their kids went to local private schools.  Public school kids used to hang out in the parking lot above the tracks at the railroad station.  Center of town had a movie theater and a bar and a few stores but that was it. Mothers and help shopped at outlying malls. This post was edited by officegirl at September 20, 2018 1:59 AM MDT
      September 19, 2018 7:46 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply og and Happy Thursday to thee. Sounds like the script of a movie. The rich kids and the kids who lived across the tracks. They were always at odds in the movies. Were they at odds in your town too?
      September 20, 2018 2:00 AM MDT

Very boringly, I found opening my first bank account a rite of passage.. It seemed very intimidating, almost like for the first time I was an adult and had to start doing adult things.. I was 16 and had never had a bank account.. I am still with the same bank.
      September 19, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

I don't remember how old I was when I opened my own bank account Addb. I don't remember having one as a teen. I did work during the summers when I was 16-18. I had a sort of job when I was 14. My parents had friends who owned a clothing store on Huntington Drive in El Sereno. It was about a mile from home. I worked the two weeks of Christmas vacation in the back room building up boxes. I never dealt with customers. After I finished junior college I got my first full-time job at 18  so I expect it must have been then when I opened my first checking account. But I do not remember the particulars. Of course for me that was over 60 years ago and memory doesn't get better as you get older!  I do remember one thing though that is is still very vivid. I remember aspiring to earn $100/week! I thought once I got to that high estate I'd have it made! I'd be rolling in dough! Funny what you remember and what you don't! Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 20, 2018 2:07 AM MDT