Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » What’s your favorite song remake?

What’s your favorite song remake?

Here’s mine:

Posted - September 20, 2018

Responses

A close second:
      September 20, 2018 6:09 PM MDT

I'm getting antsy - - going to slip away for a while. But I really like Don Henley's original but just listening to a bit of The Ataris, I can tell I like it, again, partly because they've made their own sound to it.

For my answer, I'm going with The Mamas and The Papas' "Dancing in the Street" --  I admit that I believe The Mamas and The Papas are one of the very best groups I've ever heard. All of their stuff.
    :)

I'm sure I'll get to listening to your Metallica post, too.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 23, 2018 1:16 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 6:19 PM MDT

Willie Nelson - Crazy 1961 - He wrote the song.

Patsy Cline, - 1962

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at September 23, 2018 1:16 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 7:05 PM MDT

I really like both versions of this song.
    Two legends for sure.
      September 20, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

Excellent:)
      September 20, 2018 7:18 PM MDT

• I like Willie, but I have to agree with your choice.
      September 21, 2018 9:47 AM MDT

That Metallica song is very good to me.

And what a video - - I can't tell if she and the girl are actresses portraying this lifestyle or if they're actually is in a documentary or something. It certainly all comes across as real. Really effective with the song.
      September 20, 2018 7:19 PM MDT

I like the original by Bob Segar, but I like Metallica’s version better. I like the hard rock sound to it. It better suits the song’s meaning. One of the rare occasions the video was as good as the song.
      September 20, 2018 7:23 PM MDT

I like the original, too. Quite liked Metallica a lot, too.
      September 20, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

Very hard question, but I'll go with this one. I never liked this song until I heard this version:

September 20, 2018 7:36 PM MDT

One of my favorite vocalists. I was big into the grunge rock explosion. Sadly all but one of my favorite grunge singers but one are deceased. Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, and Scott Weiland. Such a shame. I had never heard this before. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed this. It shows how talented Chris was to sing a song like this compared to Soundgarden’s sound. This post was edited by Rizz at September 20, 2018 8:22 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 7:46 PM MDT

Mine, too. I wasn't really into the grunge scene, but learned of Chris during his Audioslave days (thanks to my son, in fact). 

Glad you enjoyed it! And long live Eddie Vedder! 
      September 20, 2018 8:11 PM MDT

I was close to being a teenager when the grunge scene exploded and I was really picking up an interest in music at that time. I love Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. I liked some of Soundgarden’s stuff, but always loved Chris’s voice. The one grunge band I hate is Nirvana. Kurt Cobain was a hypocritical douchebag, is the single most overrated songwriter, and musician ever. The one bright spot of Nirvana was Dave Grohl and him forming the Foo Fighters. 

And yes, long live Eddie Vedder. His politics drive me nuts, but he is down to earth, is true to music, he’s true to his fans, he does a lot of charity work, and he loves/appreciates his fans. This post was edited by Rizz at September 22, 2018 8:19 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

(For both Rizz and SavvyAnsley)
    I liked this Cornell version, too. Like I said, I love the song -- all three versions, Prince, Sinead and Chris, are very successful for me. All three bring a strong yet understated power and dismay to the song. And all three do it in different ways.

I only became familiar with Alice in Chains' music years after Staley's death. I regret that. Staley's singing style and voice are unlike anything I've heard. I love his voice. And that album he made with other musicians from other bands, I believe? They went by the name Mad Season? Their "Above" album is, by far, my number one best album I've ever heard. From the opening note to the last song's conclusion - - simply perfection.
      September 21, 2018 8:59 PM MDT

I'm always intrigued about musical taste. I don't like Staley's voice at all, I find it almost as intolerable as Axl Rose's. 

Lucky for all of us, there's no shortage of musicians and singers, right? :)
      September 22, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

I’ll agree about Axl Rose. His voice has always been awful. We disagree about Layne. I always found his voice powerful and just magical. His voice was perfect for AIC.
      September 22, 2018 8:30 PM MDT

I was a young mother when grunge came on to the scene. I was mostly listening to things like Barney and Friends and Sesame Street's Greatest Hits. =)

Pearl Jam wins in my book. As I'm sure you can guess, Eddie's politics don't bother me a bit. ;-) 

September 22, 2018 8:16 PM MDT

Nothing wrong with agreeing with him on politics. I don’t disagree with him on everything, but most of his political beliefs. I don’t want to go into details as we have more than enough political posts on here and this is about music. I will give Eddie and the boys props and respect for their charitable work. They are also down to earth, really love, and appreciate their fans. I still think Layne Staley had a better singing voice. Then again Eddie is pushing 60 with years of drinking, smoking cigarettes, and marijuana has weakened his singing voice. When he was younger he was amazing. He’s still a good singer, just not as good as he was. This post was edited by Rizz at September 23, 2018 11:19 AM MDT
      September 22, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

Is he really pushing 60??? No way!!

Okay, I've consulted google and he's only 53. 53 is NOT pushing 60!! 58 or 59 is pushing 60! Even I know that, and I'm just barely not even pushing 50!!

September 22, 2018 8:41 PM MDT

My apologies. I was wrong with his birth year. *Facepalm*. I think I had his mixed up with another member of the band. This post was edited by Rizz at September 23, 2018 11:19 AM MDT
      September 22, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

Am I allowed to say I like this song a LOT sung by Sinead O'Connor?
    ;)

I'm really tired at the moment to listen - - I've had Enigma playing all evening except for listening to people's posts and Enigma is perfectly fitting my sedateness -- and I'm zonked. But I like the song -- I like Prince's original, too. I will probably like Cornell singing it, too. It's a kicka** song for me all-around. I'll come back and listen another time.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 22, 2018 7:49 PM MDT
      September 20, 2018 8:20 PM MDT

Of course you're allowed to say it! She is/was a gifted singer. 

I'm tired too. Have a good rest. :)
      September 22, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

September 23, 2018 11:20 AM MDT

September 20, 2018 9:14 PM MDT