Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are Willie Nelson fans angry because he supports Dem Beto O'Rourke, not trumpican Ted Cruz? Are all Texans right-wing extremists? Wassup?

Are Willie Nelson fans angry because he supports Dem Beto O'Rourke, not trumpican Ted Cruz? Are all Texans right-wing extremists? Wassup?

Willie says he doesn't care. He is 85. Been around a long long time. Doesn't have to please anyone but himself. Good for him.

Posted - September 23, 2018

Responses

What ever his political views are.....it has nothing to do with the music he writes or choses to sing....
    I love his voice and how he sings....He's nade so many great records and is a brilliant musician......

To not buy his music because you don't like his political choices is ridiculous really...
      September 23, 2018 1:10 PM MDT

Why is it ridiculous? What’s wrong with standing up for one’s beliefs? I personally don’t refuse to buy Pearl Jam albums or go to their concerts over their political beliefs though I strongly disagree with them. But a person has a right to not buy from someone they disagree with regardless of what side they’re on. 
      September 23, 2018 1:15 PM MDT

No one says you have to buy his music...but if you really like it what do you prove by not buying it ? 

Would you let him treat you if he was a doctor or a nurse...If he was a fireman and your house was burning down ,would you not let him put it out for you....if you were in a bad car crash and trapped in your car would you not let him cut you out ? 
    How is it standing up to ones beliefs if you like his music...protest by all means ,but why cut your nose of to spite your face.....
    What has Willie done to up set everyone ...?

I love his music and how he sings...the guy is a very talented musician I think....No one can take that from him...
      September 23, 2018 1:28 PM MDT

He is talented and a great musician. I will never deny this. Another difference is we rarely know the political and social beliefs of EMT’s, medical professionals, fire fighters, or police officers.
      September 23, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

I’m just tired of celebrities lecturing the rest of us about politics, morals. and social issues. When I attend a concert or buy music I want to listen to music, not to be preached about politics. When I watch sports I want to watch a game, not hear about politics and social issues. Same for these stupid award shows. When I want to hear or read about politics I know where to look. Hollywood is the last place I want to hear about morals and politics with all the corruption and sexual abuse in Hollywood.
      September 23, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

I could not agree with you more.....no sport ,music ,religious event shold be used as a political platform....Same with awards....

ok.....if you did know of the police,fire brigade or doctors political beliefs.......would you stop them helping you in your time of need.... . .?
      September 23, 2018 2:15 PM MDT

No, I wouldn’t. I also don’t refuse to buy music from artists I disagree with politically. I also don’t boycott actors over the same reasons. i firmly believe everyone has a right to their beliefs.
      September 23, 2018 2:55 PM MDT

Good for you.... :) 
      September 23, 2018 5:14 PM MDT

:):):)
      September 24, 2018 3:11 AM MDT

Mea culpa! I have never been able to separate the art from the artist. I wish I could but I can't. It is not an intellectual or logical thing to do. All purely emotional. When Clint Eastwood talked gibberish to an empty chair during a Republican convention that was allegedly supposed to represent President Obama I despised hm and still do. When Charlton Heston stood on stage with a rifle in his hand at some event and said "From my cold cold hand" I immediately was turned off! When Rosie O'Donnell years ago asked Tom Selleck why he did an ad for the NRA he tried to make light of and ended up looking like a dam* fool. I stopped liking him. So I'm no different than any Willie Nelson fans who might boycott him..maybe worse. Never been in a Hobby Lobby store. They forced religion into their operation and were backed up by law they "inspired". We used to eat Papa John's Pizza but then I read a diatribe by him against Liberals and bye bye Papa John pizza!. SIGH. You are grown up m'dear. Mature. I'm not and by now I believe I shall never be! As some profoundly brilliant wit said "it is what it is". Thank you for your thoughtful reply D! :)
      September 24, 2018 3:20 AM MDT

It's true , I to dislike people that I once liked when I found out that they did,said or supported crass thing ,nomatter who they are....That's not to say though ,that in Wille Nelsons case I would stop loving how he sings...

If he owned a shop as well ,I would not go there and buy things ...but if I liked his music ,I would still listen to it if it came on the radio ....listening to it does not mean you have to like him for the things he does or supports....
    I liked Charton Heston in some of his films.....for his support of the right to bare arms.....the man's a fool...
      September 24, 2018 12:41 PM MDT

Had to look up Mea culpa. Rosie.....I've never heard of the expresion before...lol

You must do what you thinks right.......People need to think before they open their mouths though and in so many cased it's good they don't.....Saying  crass things openly ,tends to let the cat out of the bag and allows you to see there true colours ....lol
      September 24, 2018 12:52 PM MDT

Sorry honey. I use it a lot. It means "I'm guilty" or something like that. I think it was Maya Angelou who said "when people tell you whom they are believe them". Some folks just ignore the signs and then are shocked to find out what they should have figured out long before. She also said "when we know better we do better". I'm not sure about that one. Thank you for your reply D and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      September 25, 2018 3:17 AM MDT

When people know better they don't always do the right thing   Rosie..,more so when money and power is involved ...:(
      September 25, 2018 2:06 PM MDT

If money is their carrot they will do/say/lie about anything to get more of it. Unfortunately such folks get into politics. Fortunately not all of us are wired that way. I hope. I think. I want to believe. Thank you for your reply D and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      September 26, 2018 3:32 AM MDT

• Willie lives in a free country(At least for the time being). He has a right to be wrong and of course he is. Willie also needs to understand that his political opinions and a dollar will get him a cup of coffee in most places. 
      September 23, 2018 2:15 PM MDT

Does O'Rourke support legalizing marijuana?  lol
      September 24, 2018 1:12 PM MDT

I have no idea  Walt. Is that important to you?  Are you pro or con? If con do you support the proven medicinal use of it to mitigate pain for those suffering from cancer or  AIDS?  Is it a moral concern? Inquiring minds wanna know these things. Is it a dealmaker or dealbreaker? I think I shall ask. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at September 27, 2018 4:38 AM MDT
      September 27, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

I wondered, because Willie seems to be a big supporter of using marijuana.
      September 27, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

Oh. I don't know Walt. I didn't know Willie was a supporter. Thank you for adding that backstory information. Now your questios makes sense! I appreciate it! :)
      September 27, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

Well ... I don't know if he supports legalizing it, "officially" ... but he's "well known" for using it.  LOL
      September 27, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

I guess I'm kind outta the loop on info like that Walt. I'm not a user but I sure would be if I were in pain and use of it could mitigate it. I've read that it works for cancer patients and AIDS patients. When I had cancer in 2008 the pain wasn't that bad and I never even thought of seeking relief from it. But some people's experiences with cancer have been most awful and I think if you can minimize awful you should. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      September 28, 2018 2:45 AM MDT

I have a friend who uses a CBD tincture daily, to help with pain from fibromyalgia.
    It doesn't have the "high" effect of THC, but it's from the same plants so it's illegal under federal law.

The irony is that marijuana is legal in Washington DC ... which is Constitutionally directly under the control of Congress ... who refuses to legalize marijuana.
      September 28, 2018 7:17 AM MDT

Seesh! Only in America, right Walt? You can see but not touch!  I think I've read somewhere about CBD. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 28, 2018 8:58 AM MDT