Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you force yourself to watch movies to their completion?
D&D

Do you force yourself to watch movies to their completion?

No matter how bad it is.

Posted - September 25, 2018

Responses

I have with the exception of a couple of movies. I couldn’t take a second more of “Napoleon Dynomite” and “Talladega Nights”. Both are mind numbingly stupid and awful.  
      September 25, 2018 2:51 PM MDT

Amen. 
      September 25, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

I liked "Napoleon Dynamite" a bit more than you and Rizz did. But, to me, it didn't live up to all the positive hype that surrounded it.
    :)
    I never saw "Talladega Nights."
      September 25, 2018 6:04 PM MDT

I was never much for nerd movies, Napoleon Dynamite, is one .

As for Talladega Nights, unless you're one of those odd Will Farrell fans, you didn’t miss anything.
      September 25, 2018 6:16 PM MDT

I do like some of Will’s movies: “Old School”, “Step-Brothers”, “Anchor Man”, “Anchor Man 2”, and “Blades of Glory”. To me personally his movies are funny or flat out stupid. “Napoleon Dynamife” is garbage and not funny in the slightest way. All of that hype for such a lame movie.
      September 25, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Yes - - didn't Napoleon receive HUGE amounts of hype?!
      September 25, 2018 6:33 PM MDT

Way too much. 
      September 25, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

A Will Farrell fan, I am not.  I don't dislike the guy.  I just don't find his characters that appealing. 
      September 25, 2018 11:39 PM MDT

I liked "Napoleon Dynamite" a bit more than you and Don Barzini did. But, to me, it didn't live up to all the positive hype that surrounded it.
    I never saw "Talladega Nights." This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 26, 2018 1:43 PM MDT
      September 25, 2018 6:04 PM MDT

Sometimes but not usually. 
      September 25, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I can't remember ever not watching an entire movie.

I remember thinking "Forrest Gump" would never end, though! To me, an excessively overrated movie and overrated irritating Tom Hanks performance. (I liked Sally Field the best.)
    I know I'm in the minority in my thoughts about the movie.
      September 25, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

I agree.

I find Hank's comic acts very irritating, but his straight roles often magnificently well done.
    But in Forrest Gump he hadn't a hope of playing the role of a simpleton;
    he couldn't prevent the alert awareness and intelligence from shining out of his eyes.

I thought the Gump's character and the plot were improbable to the point of ridiculous,
    the delivery was sentimental to the point of kitsch and sweet to the point of sickly.

This post was edited by inky at September 27, 2018 9:39 AM MDT
      September 26, 2018 4:36 PM MDT

ExACTly!!

And you pinpointed perfectly some of the reasons I was so disappointed in the film (after the entire world was raving about it).

With your addition, I now know of about four people who don't like the movie.
    I'm glad you shared, Nom de Plume!
      September 26, 2018 7:13 PM MDT

Thanks! :)
    I'm so quirky about many things that I don;t know anyone with quite the same worldviews.
    Or maybe that's just everyone in this culture that so values individualism.
    I find it strangely comforting when I discover someone who agrees on even one thing. 
      September 26, 2018 7:59 PM MDT

I can understand where you're coming from.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 27, 2018 9:40 AM MDT
      September 26, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

no
      September 25, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

NO....................If Movie is slow I switch at once.
      September 25, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

Not if it's on TV because I haven't had to spend anything to sit down and watch it. If we're talking about going out to see a movie, or hiring one on DVD, I usually have a good instinct for whether I'll enjoy it or not before I make a commitment to watch it. There have been a couple in recent years that I abandoned half way through. One was the South Park Movie. Another was a black and white 1930s movie starring a comedian called WC Fields - I normally like old comedies and he was supposed to be a comic genius, but his style of humour just didn't appeal to me. 
      September 25, 2018 4:00 PM MDT

Nope. If a movie doesn’t hold my interest, I’ll bail and go find something else that does. 
      September 25, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

• "Probably ... at least the first time."  I'm pretty selective about the actors/actresses I watch, so if I choose the movie because they're in it ... I'd watch it all.
      September 25, 2018 5:47 PM MDT

Hi Alf~ :)  It's been a while since we've had a second to interact.  It's great to see you and I can see you giving everything "the benefit of the doubt."  I would too, if my attention span was that long.  Big Giggles!  Nooo, I try but I always have other pressing things to do.  I enjoy being entertained by the TV.  It's on in our house all the time for background sound.  It started when our dog Chance was alive.  If we had to leave her for any period of time, we would leave the TV on for her.  I assume I am now like Chance.  I need background sound.  Babbling about entirely something that has nothing to do with this question.
    Sorry D&D and Alf.  But, thanks for reading.  Love, Merlin.  I'm off to work in 15 minutes.  Have a great day! :) :)
      September 27, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

• I haven't had cable TV in about six years and I can only get two radio stations where I live ... neither one worth listening to. If I really needed background noise, I'd just put my iTunes on a loop and that would do it. It also has SatRadio stations, but I have a big enough music library that I don't need them.

"Chance" ... pick the name from the movie "Hard Target," did ya?  :))
      October 6, 2018 5:33 AM MDT

You can only watch one movie to ITS completion. You might watch multiple movies to THEIR completions.
      September 25, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

No.  I stop when I tire of it.  However, I will not begin a movie if I miss one second of it.  I'm serious.  
      September 25, 2018 9:19 PM MDT