Active Now

DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you force yourself to watch movies to their completion?
D&D

Do you force yourself to watch movies to their completion?

No matter how bad it is.

Posted - September 25, 2018

Responses

I believe you but what if you have to pee?  
      September 26, 2018 2:20 AM MDT

I'm talking about the very beginning when it tells all of the companies involved in the project.  If I miss any part of the beginning, I will not watch it.  I'm not referring to during the movie.
      September 26, 2018 12:50 PM MDT

That's what pause buttons are for.
      September 26, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

Nope.
    I switch channels or walk out the moment it's boring or horrific.
      September 25, 2018 9:50 PM MDT

• Of course not. My time is valuable. I won't waste it on bad entertainment. 
      September 25, 2018 10:48 PM MDT

Hmmmm.  If it is a classic and a "must see,"  I will.  
    Another catch to this scenario is if I have already read the book. 
    A perfect example is, "Gone With the Wind."  I loved the book but really had to push my way through the movie. It falls under all three. 
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" is the best line out of the movie.
    I don't know if it was worth waiting all the hours to hear Clark Gable say it...

September 25, 2018 11:51 PM MDT

Why not just watch the scene you enjoy on YouTube?
      September 26, 2018 1:23 AM MDT

I am slinking under the kitchen table to admit this ....
    I really am so illiterate in the computer world, it is frightening.  I don't know how.  I just recently (thanks to Alf) was able post videos here from youtube.  I know very little about how to-do anything on the computer other than going to gmail, coming to answerMug, and clicking on links people attach.
    It's sad but true.  I know and am good at many things outside the tech world.  Excuse the expression, but,  I suck at computer stuff.  Soon my out-in-the-real-world will be obsolete.  It's a good thing I"m old.  Maybe I'll die before they become extinct. :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 27, 2018 10:09 AM MDT
      September 27, 2018 9:50 AM MDT

Very few of the films made today can hold my interest.....the contain far to much gratuitous violence where people get shot and beaten senseless .....there wounds and broken bones would take years to heal in many cases if they ever would...get in the next scene there they are reaking vengeance on the guys that did it to them..
    Why does America make so many of these type of films and worse why do Americans want to watch them....
    Its becoming the same in England now....

Where are all the good films gone that make you think and stir up all of your emotions.......
    The French make such brilliant films....if you can read ,so many are just brilliant ...
      September 26, 2018 1:55 AM MDT

A French film I particularly enjoyed this year was "Jeune Femme", and Olivier Assayas consistently makes good films too.
      September 26, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

There are hardly any shown on tv over here....and we stopped going to cinemas years ago...its far to expensive to watch films we are not going to enjoy and a pop corn and fizzy drink that neither of us eat or drink cost as much as it does to watch the film..
    20 years ago it cost £50 pounds plus for two adults and two kids for matinee film that was 1.5 hours long....
    :(
      September 26, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

No if I am tired  I turn it off and go to bed. 
      September 26, 2018 5:41 AM MDT

No...I give them 15 minutes. If they hold no interest or are stupid, I try something else. I remember the movie 'Idiocracy'. Incredibly stupid. Turned it off in 15 minutes.
      September 26, 2018 1:48 PM MDT

That flick shows the future of mankind. To me, it's a masterpiece.
      September 26, 2018 2:13 PM MDT

Fortunately, I won't be around. Actually, mankind won't be around.

September 26, 2018 2:21 PM MDT

Old Faithful?  Something you can count on.  That's for sure.  
    Hopefully, I won't be around either.  I'd like to remember the earth and the people, animals, and all the fond memories I have as is.  I'd hate to see us and direction we are headed in 50 more years. 
    I pray the kids these days won't be like this movie projects.  
      September 27, 2018 10:08 AM MDT

That ain't old faithful baby. That's the Yellowstone super-volcano. It might happen tomorrow or not for a thousand years.

September 27, 2018 10:55 AM MDT

Too much magma for me to take.  Just think, it sits almost smack dab in the middle of the United States.  Talk about going out with a bang.  My guess is the United States would have the last word if this happens.
    I had forgotten about this super-volcano.  You are so very right, once again. :) :)
      September 27, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

You know, that may not necessarily be a bad thing.
      October 6, 2018 2:21 AM MDT

I agree.  I think it should be under 3 genres.  Classic Horror Flicks.  Self-awareness Flicks.  Self-help Flicks.  You do not want our race to be like we are heading today.
    Remember, action and reaction.
    Element once told me that was Newton's 3rd Law.
    I knew it was a rule I always knew.  I didn't know someone named Newton found it out and named it.  I'll have to go back and ask him.  Anyway, I believe him and know it has proven true. :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 27, 2018 10:46 AM MDT
      September 27, 2018 10:00 AM MDT

Isn't it odd that I have been thinking about Newton's third law and found some examples that are unclear. It's easy to believe in something that I have for years, but difficult to find flaws. I am still thinking about it. This post was edited by Element 99 at September 28, 2018 9:55 AM MDT
      September 27, 2018 10:49 AM MDT

I can see this side of you being that you are not an idiot.  I also turned it off the FIRST time I started watching it.  Then, Don made me watch it all the way through.  I wrote a huge analogy on it.  It so shocking, it does show us to take a look at what WE are doing to ourselves.  
      September 27, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

Maybe I shall give it another go if it comes on again.
      September 27, 2018 10:50 AM MDT

Nope.

That's part of why I don't go to movies at the theater.
    The prices are too high even if you watch the whole movie (and "coming attractions" and credits) - but spending that much money pressures you to sit through the entire movie, if it turns out to be something you don't want to watch.
      September 26, 2018 2:44 PM MDT

I have a couple of times, but hopefully learned a lesson, if a movie doesn't have your interest 15 minutes in, then it's probably a dud.  Life's too short, you don't get them two and a half hours back.
      September 26, 2018 4:24 PM MDT