Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do liberals hate President Trump more than they love America?

Do liberals hate President Trump more than they love America?

It would be one thing to hate him if his policies were failing, as liberals unanimously believed would happen. But we are nearing the end of his first two years in office during one of the most prosperous periods in modern times. What's up with that?

Posted - September 25, 2018

Responses

Hello there Stu Bee
    The question assumes that Liberals love America, or the ideals of which this country was founded. They want to "fundamentally transform" America.
    They look at the constitution as a hindrance to their agenda. Consider their attitude towards ideas such as freedom of Religion, Freedom of Speech, to Peaceably assemble, to keep and bear arms, probable cause, due process, states rights, powers of the executive branch (except of course when they hold that office!!!)
    They hate anything that poses a threat to their agenda and will stop at nothing to destroy anyone who stands in their way...
    President Trump by virtue of winning the election threw a big bucket of ice water in all their faces, they were embarrassed and surprised and they despise Him and anyone who is associated with him and everyone who voted for him...
      September 25, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

Didn't anyone tell you....it is all President Obama who made this great economy? Lol

September 25, 2018 9:52 PM MDT

• I would imagine some do. It certainly seemed like some conservatives hated Obama more than they loved America. Some people are so obsessed with politicians that they lose sight of the big picture and what's good for the country.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 29, 2018 7:40 PM MDT
      September 25, 2018 10:43 PM MDT

I wouldn’t say all liberals and I’m sure you’re not either. I do believe many hate Trump more than they love America. One could argue there are some on the right who hate liberals more than they love their country. I will say I find liberals less patriotic and seem to not like our country. 
      September 26, 2018 3:08 AM MDT

Economists are almost unanimous in their opinion that America's current economic prosperity is DESPITE Trump, not because of him. The global economy is still in a recovery phase following the GFC, but since Trump's inauguration the RATE of growth compared to other world markets is actually lagging behind Japan, Germany, Argentina, India and a number ot other economies.
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/30/16945146/trump-economic-record
      September 26, 2018 3:39 AM MDT

But this is about what has happened since January 2017, and whatever economists say, the head of state always is perceived as being responsible for the economy. Cite all the statistics you like, but perception is reality.
      September 26, 2018 6:15 AM MDT

"Perception is reality."  Clever line occasionally used in movies.  Doesn't apply the way you are using it here, however.
      September 26, 2018 9:52 AM MDT

So you say. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. But if perception is not reality, how do you account for the increase in his approval rating? This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at September 29, 2018 7:41 PM MDT
      September 26, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

So are you are one of the closet angry liberals who feel "entitled"---interesting.

Some 50 years ago I had a puppy that I was keeping from a litter my dog had.  He got parvo.  We tried to cure it.  i thought the fact that his appetite had returned was a good sign that he was on the mend.  Turns out it was just a result of the medication the vet gave him. The dog did not survive.

Any increase in Trump's approval rating is probably due to a lack of understanding of what and why things were really happening as they were---like my thinking my dog was getting better.
      September 26, 2018 10:14 AM MDT

How do you presume to know how I feel about anything? Try not to be so smug and arrogant.
      September 26, 2018 12:13 PM MDT

It’s not easy for me to put a finger on exactly what liberals love, what you suggest may be possible, but one need not be a liberal to disapprove of Trump. 
    I am no liberal, nor am I a conservative, but neither am I so blind as to believe Trump is solely (or even chiefly) responsible for whatever prosperity is ongoing in America at present. I saw an economy on the upswing prior to his inauguration, and I see that Trump hasn’t caused it to derail. Yet. But I got a fat tax cut I didn’t need, so I guess I should be happy to let all this play out.
    Let’s let American farmers have a say, I hear their version of the economy isn’t so rosy.  

The rest is cult of personality. Trump is a detestable figure, one who exemplifies and inspires the worst of humanity. If that is of no account to supporters who overlook it all and decry the act of criticizing it/him, then I have some questions about their definition(s) of patriotism. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 5, 2018 11:14 AM MDT
      September 26, 2018 5:05 AM MDT

The problem in 2016 was that enough folks thought Hillary was also a detestable figure to hand Trump the presidency.
      September 26, 2018 6:17 AM MDT

(I stumbled across this little gem much too late for the 2016 election campaign era, but you've given me incentive to use it here, lol.)

~
      September 26, 2018 6:25 AM MDT

LOL.
      September 26, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

No question about it, Stu. Rock and a hard place This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 26, 2018 11:32 PM MDT
      September 26, 2018 6:39 AM MDT

Which is a commentary on their judgment, not on Hilary.

The mob asked for Barabbas, not Jesus.

"Beware stupid people in large groups"   (uninformed electorates)
      September 26, 2018 9:48 AM MDT

Again, so you say. That does not make it so. It doesn't really matter on whom you think it's a commentary. But it does help prove my point that perception is reality. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at September 27, 2018 7:20 PM MDT
      September 26, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

I'd prefer you not play word games with me, Stu---I consider it beneath you
      September 26, 2018 10:04 AM MDT

Worry about yourself and what's beneath you and let others be concerned with themselves.
      September 26, 2018 10:08 AM MDT

Another example of a wrong opinions on your part, Stu.  I seldom worry---and I never worry about individuals like you.

It's when such individuals band together in groups that I become concerned.
      September 26, 2018 10:18 AM MDT

One opinion, two opinions. And what you say is not gospel. Have you ever considered the possibility that YOU ARE the one who's wrong?
      September 26, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

Given the "not my president" demonstrations after the election, it's more likely that those who didn't bother to vote thought Trump could not possibly win.

They underestimated the lack of education among Trump supporters.

September 26, 2018 10:03 AM MDT

September 26, 2018 12:44 PM MDT

Its seems rather short sighted to suggest the reason for all those people you talk about being absolutely wrong was because everyone else is an idiot. Grossly underestimating something is not a shining example of intelligence..
      September 26, 2018 1:59 PM MDT