Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I've noticed that year by year the flying/crawling critters seem to be diminishing. It started with bees a few years ago. Have you noticed?

I've noticed that year by year the flying/crawling critters seem to be diminishing. It started with bees a few years ago. Have you noticed?

Is it just a normal cyclical occurrence or could climate change have something to do with it? Fewer ants fewer flies, fewer mosquitoes, fewer mosquito bites. A stark contrast between this year and two years ago in my experience! What about you? Any difference(s)?

Posted - September 28, 2018

Responses

Yes, Rosie, it is a common observation. I have noticed it most with wasps - not that an abundance of wasps is something I would miss, to be honest; also moths, and butterflies to some extent. There was a time when I would get a variety of moths straying inside my home in summer attracted to the light, nowadays it is usually just the very tiny brown ones. The moth and butterfly numbers seem to have picked up a little this year, perhaps because we have had a warm summer.

It seems to be happening with many classes of insect and there are a range of theories about what is causing it:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/insect_numbers_declining_why_it_matters
      September 28, 2018 3:18 PM MDT

Thank you so much for your extremely thoughtful and helpful reply Rev. The link is very informative and very sad and I shall read it more than once. With a heavy heart which seems odd to say but there it is. When things disappear or diminish or dwindle like that something sinister is afoot. I wonder what the future holds for other species? I wonder whether/when humans will start dwindling, disappearing too? I shall ask. Happy Saturday to you! :)
      September 29, 2018 2:07 AM MDT

We invested in midge repellent, but they never turned up. 
      September 28, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I am unfamiliar with the word "midge" Malizz so I looked it up. Thanks for the new word Malizz. Very strange what's occurring. Weird even. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 29, 2018 2:09 AM MDT

The Scots are all too familiar with midges. They have eaten us alive on previous occasions out west. 
      September 29, 2018 4:43 AM MDT

I like the word. It has a certain jazzy pizazz! Thank you for your reply Malizz. I worked for a couple who were rather wealthy and he imported his favorite brand of Scotch from Scotland. I think it was Glen something but I don't honestly remember. I have no idea what it cost but I expect it was very good Scotch. I'm not a fan. The Scotch I've tasted long ago tasted like medicine. Now maybe very good Scotch is smooth and silky delicious. I don't know what brand it was but it tasted like Iodine smells! Thank you for your reply!  :) I think why I like midge is because it sounds kinda like smidgen which pertains to food and I'm a Foodie. You know you add a smidgen of this and a smidgen of that to your recipe to enhance the flavor? I would not add a smidgen of midge though! :)
      September 29, 2018 7:07 AM MDT