Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I noticed from a previous question I asked that few of us here go to church. Does God really give a crap?

I noticed from a previous question I asked that few of us here go to church. Does God really give a crap?

Posted - September 29, 2018

Responses

I don't believe in a god.

But if I'm wrong and such a being exists
    I imagine God would care more about what was in the believer's heart - every believer and ALL the time.

However, when the faithful gather together to hear a sermon, pray, and sing hymns of praise, they are also creating a community via the conversations before and after the service. There are few secular alternatives to rival the effectiveness of this means of creating fellowship and networks for support. This applies equally for other faiths. I imagine that a loving God would very much like to see that happening.
      September 29, 2018 9:57 PM MDT

Might it be at all unreasonable to wonder if childhood cancers are a useful litmus test of His concern? Hmm

It would be edifying to get a definitive public reply from the “Big Guy”, one way or the other. 
    But I no more believe in any deity than I expect any such reply is forthcoming.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 2, 2018 1:22 AM MDT
      September 29, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

Since He's the one who started the church, I'm willing to say that He does.  Besides, church is for US (people), not God.
      September 29, 2018 10:35 PM MDT

Your question presumes there is a God.  
      September 29, 2018 11:41 PM MDT

Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.
      September 30, 2018 8:27 AM MDT

God allows us to get sick or hurt and says in the  bible we should pray for divine healing. I don't know if that works or not. In fact I kind of doubt it so why should he give a crap about anyone going to church? 
      September 30, 2018 12:08 AM MDT

I sort of feel that if God is supposedly everywhere, one doesn't have to go to church to be with him (or her) - you can chat with him anywhere.
      September 30, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

Well if people stopped going to church then there would be a lot of unemployed pastors, preachers and priests. 

Getting sick or hurt then pray for healing should be an inspiration for God to demonstrate his powers /that he actually exists you'd think.
      September 30, 2018 8:54 AM MDT

Well, those people would have to find jobs like the rest of us, wouldn't they?  Then they would be contributing to the tax base of their states, cities, towns, etc. and perhaps there would be fewer priests/rabbis/pastors molesting kids.  I think that would be a win/win.
      September 30, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

yes
      September 30, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

• Church is communion (not catholic) at home between myself, my family, and God.   

com·mun·ion
    kəˈmyo͞onyən/
    noun

1. 1.
      the sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, especially when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level.
      September 30, 2018 9:17 AM MDT

-If he didn't I can't imagine why he gave such precise instructions to David for Solomon to build the temple. 

-God instructed the people of Israel to be in corporate worship before him.  That's pretty specific.

-God instructed us to keep the Sabbath holy.  We could discuss what he meant by that.

-From a Christian standpoint, we are part of the body of Christ which is comprised of all Christians.  Community with each other seems like an expected part of such existence.  

Salvation does not rest upon going to Church though.  Christians may be more likely to discuss these things with other Christians in today's environment of Americans' contempt for each other.  My guess is that many Church-going folks might scroll right past this question.

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 2, 2018 7:08 AM MDT
      September 30, 2018 12:31 PM MDT

Read somewhere once that if God is everywhere, why to we have to worship Him in a building?  

hmmmmmmm  pretty good question, I'd say...my dad seldom went to church, but being a small business owner, was up at 5"30 every morning......he then would see, usually, the sun come up on his way to the store.

so when he was asked what church do you go to? (this was in the 1950's.......can you imagine asking someone that today!?!?!?)

anyway, he'd say, "I belong to the great outdoor congregation"........cool, huh?

but I guess God does think we should go to church; kinda like the parent who wants you to do stuff you may not wanna do, but you know you should.

ME? raised 'catholic' and hated it.......only went 'cuz my mom said that as long as I was 'under her roof' 'you go to church!".........

- sigh -

:-D

:-D

:)
      September 30, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

...and if she hadn't you might not understand the wisdom in your Father's spirituality.  To every child reared by a mom who made them go to Church, I say that exposure gave you an advantage.  
      September 30, 2018 12:40 PM MDT

I think you're right. :) :)
      October 2, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

Your Dad and my Dad belong to the same church!  
    Very Cool ben!  Very Cool indeed! 
    :) :)
      October 2, 2018 2:26 AM MDT

what counts is the 
    devotion coming from your heart

September 30, 2018 11:14 PM MDT

How do you that?  You can say what I was trying to say in nine words!
    Big winks and smiles!
    Exactly. :) :)
      October 2, 2018 2:23 AM MDT

Element, I'm doing "The Church Giggle."  You know the one where you sit and bounce because you know how disruptive it would be if you burst into laughter in the middle of a sermon when there is nothing funny the priest is preaching? 
    That's the one.:D
    I know this is a serious question.  But before I go into my drab and boring serious answer, I'd like to point out something that may have slipped your mind.
    Being a mere mortal, I cannot even speak for another of my kind, let alone God.  I think it would be in my best interest to not assume what he feels. I'll just slide on by and let him ponder your question all on his own. 

Big winks and smiles!

I am much more spiritual than religious. Religion fascinates me.  What people believe, why they do and how they communicate with their God through their religions is an amazing study.  I've always wanted to take a class in it.  Maybe I will next semester.  Thanks for reminding me. :) :)

I do believe in higher powers and angels and spirits and all those entities we can't see.  Yes. I do believe in God, too. 
    I was baptized and raised Episcopalian. We did go to church as children with mom.  Dad is a true believer that God is everywhere and didn't choose to go.  When we visit mom and dad, I go to church with my mom and sister. .  I don't mind. Dad and Don stay home. 
    Personally, I do believe you can pray, talk, worship, sing, curse, love, get angry, all the things you do in church, anywhere. I do believe, like many have said before me, you don't have to be in a church to talk to God.  The God I know doesn't need money or robes, etc. but some of us do.  And that is o.k., too.  :) :)

October 2, 2018 2:21 AM MDT

God wants us to assemble in fellowship with other believers.  Which is basically what a church is. I have belonged to churches and have been thrown out of one.  They often have a lot of storm and stress going on which is not fun - people fighting with one another for various reasons.  My husband believes in God but is not a Christian as I am so we can't becomes a part of any congregation. 
      October 2, 2018 5:41 AM MDT

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time, while you throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. (1peter 5:6,7)
      October 25, 2018 11:18 PM MDT

I prefer to reference Matt 18:20
      October 25, 2018 11:24 PM MDT

Do you really think that god is literally a great big old man with hands?
      October 26, 2018 6:31 AM MDT

A better question is does god actually exist in a human form and is god even capable of human emotion - "giving a crap," as you so eloquently put it?

A viable and quite plausible alternate view is that god is not an old man with a white beard sitting somewhere in the sky, but a more abstract entity expressed in the laws governing nature and the universe, the love shared in community and family, and the human conscience driving most of us to choose right over wrong.
      October 26, 2018 12:52 AM MDT