Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Should there be more questions you can answer yes, or no to? Or do you like to elaborate?

Should there be more questions you can answer yes, or no to? Or do you like to elaborate?

Posted - September 30, 2018

Responses

I don't think that people, in coming up with their questions, consider that.  Yes I know we can think that saying "no" is much too negative a response.  Especially when we know people are wanting to be entertained by our answers.  I think if that concerns us we are being much to hard on ourselves and we should just answer whatever way we choose to without becoming overly worried or anxious about it. 
      September 30, 2018 10:25 AM MDT

I think you are right! I am not sure I have ever thought of wishing to entertain others with my answers but I can see that might be a factor where we know others may see.. 

I think I was just thinking.. sometimes, wouldn't it be nice to just say yes, or no? And then I was thinking, but really, aren't most of us here because we do like to elaborate? This site, for all its good and bad is definitely one of the more intelligent sites I have ever been on 
      September 30, 2018 10:35 AM MDT

Sometimes on this as well as another site I have simply answered yes or no. And been criticized for it.  I would say we are here because we want to connect with others, not just to have our questions answered. So if we do not connect then why are we here?  Why are people on this site so seemingly fearful of private messaging?  Haha some things I elaborate on because they are important to me.  Other things I elaborate on I know I really should not because I am not able to hold my own. All of which is - because I am so low-key and quiet in "real" life I have a chance to really express myself on here without fearing any real social consequences. This post was edited by officegirl at September 30, 2018 8:55 PM MDT
      September 30, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

As always I stand in awe of your bravery and honesty.. few people would dare to say what they really think - you always do and I find few people are as real these days, I admire that so much. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at September 30, 2018 8:56 PM MDT
      September 30, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

Thank you I never even knew that was at all possible until I got on the net nine years ago.  On Answerbag were many women who were so honest and candid about very personal things which I just never thought was possible.  Not that I am about everything - and I try to be polite and respectful.  Generally.  But some things I think - OK how would my life have been different if I had known that we could speak out about like that when I was young. Because then some women were just starting to and we did not have an internet.  And I would read a lot of what they wrote and think yes that is how I feel exactly!  Which before I thought I must be different or weird or not with it if I felt certain things. Which about many things yes I felt that way until recently.  But then we get on sites where we are allowed to be very candid and we learn goodness how many of us feel and are doing the same things we thought before were just our own personal wrinkles!
      September 30, 2018 11:09 AM MDT

No. (JK) I prefer to elaborate somewhat, but rarely more than a sentence or two unless it is a science question.
      September 30, 2018 12:45 PM MDT

I am sure your elaboration on science topics is very impressive. 
      September 30, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

Sometimes. I also believe in the old saying: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS."
      September 30, 2018 3:33 PM MDT

"Yes" or "No" questions do not invite discussion.
      September 30, 2018 12:52 PM MDT

I think I do too.. I am quite a wordy person. perhaps too much some might say. 
      September 30, 2018 1:43 PM MDT

No.
      ~
      September 30, 2018 1:38 PM MDT

You have to agree, that it certainly reduces the chance of grammatical error!
      September 30, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

nnaybe
      September 30, 2018 2:41 PM MDT

A simple yes or no leaves me needing to ask another question like, "how so?" to try to entice a conversation.

I enjoy questions that make me think, and love answers that are full of interesting thoughts, facts, theories or anecdotes.

As Officegirl so wisely observed, how else can we really connect?
      September 30, 2018 9:03 PM MDT