Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you avoid or go out of your way to see scary HORROR movies? Why?

Do you avoid or go out of your way to see scary HORROR movies? Why?

Posted - October 4, 2018

Responses

Yes I have never understood the attraction but then the same is true of a lot of things  I see and hear of every day. 
      October 4, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

Me too neither. Thank you for your reply og and Happy Friday to thee!  :)
      October 5, 2018 1:57 AM MDT

Thank you very much and I hope you saw my comment on your apparent misunderstanding of my other answer. 
      October 5, 2018 4:48 AM MDT

We were never allowed to watch films like that as kids....and no one in my family watches them and if they did now they are adults ,my parents would still disapprove....
    Im sure watching these films that depict horror or extreame violence is at least partly to blame for the troubled world we live in....
    One  sick mind can taint so many others and even more so if they have mental health issues if their own....

This post was edited by Nice Jugs at October 5, 2018 8:50 AM MDT
      October 5, 2018 2:01 AM MDT

My parents never allowed me to watch any horror movies when I was a little boy. They didn't want me to wake up screaming in the middle of the night. As an adult I have checked them out, but I soon changed the channel. I don't care for them.
      October 5, 2018 8:52 AM MDT

Exactly ..any normal parent would want to shield their kids from anything violent or scary....
    To this day we never watch things like that....
      October 5, 2018 2:53 PM MDT

They run ads on TV about them though D. "Friday the 13th" movies and other things.  Just the trailers alone turn me off. When I was a kid I remember seeing a movie that wasn't really a horror movie. But what I do remember was lots of fog and footsteps coming toward you in the fog and I never found out what it was but I had nightmares and imagined all kinds of monsters! I do not like to be scared. Never did, never will. Thank you for your reply. I do believe too many people are  cruel and like to see torture happening maybe because they kicks vicariously and i imagine themselves doing that. I dunno.  Creeps me out!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 5, 2018 2:54 PM MDT
      October 5, 2018 8:58 AM MDT

Me to Rosie....it's beyond me why people want to watch them...
      October 5, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

They must be wired completely differently. I'm gonna ask about that. Thank you for your reply D and Happy Sunday to thee!  :)
      October 7, 2018 6:29 AM MDT

I started watching horror movies at a very early age, around 4 or 5 and I still love them. 
      October 5, 2018 11:07 AM MDT

I think your parents need their arses smacked....it's not normal to let 4 year olds watch films like that...
      October 5, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

They didn't scare me, so I guess it's all good. 
      October 17, 2018 11:06 AM MDT

It's not normal for parents to let four year olds watch horror films whether you say it scared you or not .....as a four year old you ,should never be allowed to view those type if films..and I find ut hard to believe it's not effected you in any way now you are older...
    If you have very young kids of your own....would you let them watch films like that... . ?
      October 17, 2018 12:38 PM MDT

My mom watched them and when she saw they didn't make me run and hide, she let me watch them. I do have a child and she doesn't like them, so she doesn't watch them. Not all kids react the same or feel the same. The only it effected me was to give me an appreciation for horror movies and books. I also watched a lot of comedies when I was a child, I also watched a lot of drama when I was a child, I also watched the news every night when I was a child. Not all kids are cut from the same cloth.
      October 17, 2018 2:32 PM MDT

Does anything scare you glenho? Did those movies ever scare you or were you so prescient and advanced intellectually that you knew it was all make believe? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :)
      October 7, 2018 6:30 AM MDT

I knew they were all make believe, don't think that makes me intellectually advanced or special in any way. I'm still a big fan of horror movies and books. 
      October 17, 2018 11:09 AM MDT

At the age of 4 you didn't believe that what you saw on the screen was real? And you think that's "normal"? I don't know what universe you inhabit but the one I live in most all 4-year-olds would be scared and maybe have nightmares. You underestimate your intellectual savvy. Seriously. Of course that's just my opinion and whadda I know about you, right? Thank you for your reply glenho and Happy Wednesday to you! :) When I was 3 I saw a movie with Humphrey Bogart that I still remember and I also remember wanting to go backstage to meet him when the movie ended. My mom was a sweetheart and she told me that he would very busy because so many people would go back there to meet him and so we could do it another time. I totally accepted what she told me. She allowed me to maintain the fantasy/reality I had experienced. I didn't have a clue that it was fantasy not reality. So you see I experienced it and of course since I am the only template I have I extrapolated it to include all little children. :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 17, 2018 11:20 AM MDT
      October 17, 2018 11:14 AM MDT

I just took it as normal. It did scare me in the fact that I would project myself into the movie and feel some of the fright that the actors portrayed. I never had nightmares from them afterwards, and no residual fear.  
      October 17, 2018 11:27 AM MDT

I am your polar opposite glenho. I'd have nightmares. I learned to avoid things like that even as an adult. In fact my best friend as an adult years ago told me to not see the movie "Psycho" when it came out. She said I wouldn't like it and so I didn't see it. Subsequently I saw scenes from it on TV and the one where the chair turns around with the skeleton sitting in it? I still see that. The scene with Janet Lee in the shower was also scary but it was that unexpected view of the  "momma" that stays with me.. Scairdy cat me. Sigh. I saw a movie once as a little girl where it was a very foggy night and footsteps were coming toward the audience getting louder and louder louder. I had no idea who or what caused them but I had nightmares later. We never did find it out or if we did I blocked it from my memory. We're all wired differently and I think there's probably an audience for everything. )
      October 17, 2018 12:37 PM MDT

I think you're right. I remember once, I was about 8, my older cousin was visiting for a few weeks and we watched a movie called The Brain That Wouldn't Die. It scared her so bad she had trouble falling asleep. I think she was about 12 or 13 at the time, she was about 5 years older than me and I thought it was the oddest thing that it scared her so bad. 
    Now, some movies have scared me, but it was the pop up scenes that got me. They do make me jump and use my "adult" words. 
      October 17, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

You'd be a good pal to have close by if things got very scary. You seem calm and stable no matter what you encounter and that is certainly a very good thing to be in any circumstance let alone one that is very scary. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday glenho! :)
      October 18, 2018 4:02 AM MDT

I'm not sure how I'd handle a real life situation. I do try and stay as calm as possible in any situation. I can watch anything on screen, but if someone were to come at me with a knife or machete, I'd probably faint and pee myself.  
      October 18, 2018 10:59 AM MDT

I'd probably faint before I was murdered. I think that circumstance would scare anyone bigly. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday glenho! :)
      October 19, 2018 4:17 AM MDT

• Yes, glenho, same here. Every Friday night on one of the local channels, we had Creature Feature.  A scary movie night once a week. It was great.  Back then there weren't as many helicopter parents.  We were even allowed to ride bikes without helmets. Without parent surpervision.
      October 18, 2018 2:40 PM MDT

I watched Creature Feature as well. Loved those old B rated movies then and still do now. 
    As for the bikes, I think you would have been exiled by your friends if you wore a helmet. :)

October 19, 2018 6:52 AM MDT