Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever been around someone who is blacked out from drinking alcohol? If so, did they behave in a way that is

Have you ever been around someone who is blacked out from drinking alcohol? If so, did they behave in a way that is

completely out of their normal, conscious character?

Posted - October 6, 2018

Responses

Yes, however I was not aware they were in a blackout at the time. 
      October 6, 2018 9:54 PM MDT

I completely understand! It's so bizarre and frightening. 
      October 6, 2018 9:57 PM MDT

• It's likely that I have been, but I don't know for sure of any specific time it's happened. I can remember my best friend telling me he didn't remember certain things from a drunken night, so I can assume he did black out at some point, but I wouldn't have known when. 
      October 6, 2018 10:49 PM MDT

To my knowledge, I have never been in that situation. 
    ~
      October 7, 2018 12:24 AM MDT

When I managed an enlisted man's club in the Navy, a sailor was so drunk he passed out and we didn't know until closing time. I had to call the hospital. I know a woman that was so drunk she had no recollection of the night before.
      October 7, 2018 7:32 AM MDT

Until recent years, I thought blacking out and passing out were the same thing. I didn't really understand that people could be conscious and not even appear to be not terribly inebriated, yet have no idea what they're doing. 

It explains a lot about drunk driving, really. I realize that many of the people who do so when they're extremely intoxicated are in a blackout. They really should have someone take their keys if they intend to drink. :

October 7, 2018 8:33 AM MDT

• Yes and yes. People don't generally act like themselves when they're in a drunken stupor. I've been around many drunks in my life.
      October 7, 2018 8:25 AM MDT

It's hard for me to understand why anyone would choose to continue to drink excessively if they've been told that they behaved badly while in a blackout. It leads me to believe that they're addicted and are in need of treatment. 

I don't think I've been around many people who were blacked out, though I've definitely been around lots of people who were drunk. Although, it's likely that some of them were blacked out and wasn't aware, I guess. 

October 7, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

• Sometimes poor judgment is just that. It's not necessarily addiction. And we couldn't make that blanket statement anyway. Everyone does things for different reasons. 
      October 7, 2018 10:01 AM MDT

That's true. I was thinking of a scenario where someone who usually behaves in a calm, peaceful, kind manner has been told that they behaved violently when blacked out and are genuinely mortified by having acted that way. Still, I suppose they still could deliberately choose to continue to drink excessively, thinking that it wouldn't happen again. We humans are usually quite skilled at fooling ourselves. 

October 7, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

not yet
      October 7, 2018 8:52 AM MDT

If you are blacked out you don't behave in any way.
      October 7, 2018 6:03 PM MDT

I thought passing out and blacking out were the same thing, too, until just a few years ago.  

Alcohol.org explains it far better than I could:

"There is a huge difference between blacking out and passing out. When a person passes out, they lose consciousness are in a state similar to being asleep, although they are not likely to respond to stimuli like being spoken to or touched. When a person blacks out, they may continue to make decisions, hold conversations, and even continue to drink. They appear to be conscious, but they will not remember what happened. This is extremely risky, as the person may attempt to drive, have sex, or perform other risky behaviors that can lead to permanent harm and even death."
      October 7, 2018 9:05 PM MDT

OK.  I have no idea then if I've seen anyone blacked out from drinking.  I have seen people passed out a few times.  They seemed to be dead. ;)
      October 7, 2018 9:54 PM MDT

Early one morning I awoke to a weird thumping sound outside. A drunk just drove her car through the bushes in my front yard. It is on a hillside so the car was having trouble escaping. She almost hit my house so I ran outside in my pajamas and yelled at her. I got an I.D. on the license plate and called the cops. She escaped after tearing up the front lawn. The cops caught up with her and the boyfriend came and gave me some money to fix the lawn. I guess the judge liked that. She remembered nothing of the incident.
      October 7, 2018 7:25 PM MDT

Incredible, isn't it? Someone I know experienced something pretty similar to that. 

Alcohol ruins so many lives. I know that the opiate epidemic is very bad, but alcohol still kills more people. 

October 7, 2018 9:13 PM MDT

Blackout doesn't mean they don't know what's happening in the moment, only that they don't form memories of what's happening. It stands to reason that someone who is that drunk isn't going to be super aware of their surroundings, but that isn't what the term references. Therein lies the conundrum- we have no way of knowing whether someone was blackout drunk until the next day or later, and that's only if they are willing to admit they were wasted and/or don't remember any of it. As the bystander in the moment, we wouldn't know- we can only tell they're wasted. 

If you get that wasted, you have a problem. Most won't admit it, but any form of binge drinking signifies a problem. It doesn't have to be a regular occurrence or every day thing. I have been around both types- those who depend on booze every day and those who drink to excess when they do drink. 

In my experience, they just act drunk and stupid. Not necessarily out of character, but their worst traits come out in full force. i.e. The belligerent types will just become angrier and meaner. The jovial types will want to keep the party going even when they can't stand up anymore. The ones that are hungry for affection will grab any available partner. 

Virtually any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement. Drinking and driving has little to do with blackouts and more to do with the fact that people aren't good judges of their own level of inebriation. Once you're intoxicated to the point your judgment is off, you could drive and not realize you're drunk. Depending on your size, you could be legally drunk after one drink. By 2-3 drinks, most people are impaired. Well, a beer or a shot is one drink, so if you're having a cocktail or something, odds are, you're legally impaired after one; man or woman, regardless of size. This is why it's really important to plan your ride home before you go out. You have to have a designated driver or be using Lyft/ Uber from the start because once you've got a drink or two in you, you can no longer trust yourself to make the right call.

I know some people will read this and think "I'm fine after 4-5 drinks." A few people might be, but chances are, you're not as fine as you think you are. There are some apps on the market that let you test your reaction times. Try it while sober and then try it while you're drinking. 

I'm the adult child of alcoholics. My mom had a stroke and now has vascular dementia and no use of her left side because of her drinking. My best friend in junior high/ high school was an alcoholic. She made several poor decisions as a result. She had a promising military career ahead of her. She got chlamydia in high school and became sterile. She got a DUI at 18 and then later struck another vehicle while driving drunk. She fled the scene and wound up in prison by age 19 or so. I have another family member who has lost everything to booze and an ex who has done largely the same and has already had a heart attack in his 40s. When you're in the thick of it, you don't realize how bad it is.
      October 7, 2018 11:01 PM MDT

I think what's most frightening is how quickly things can turn when people are so drunk that they're likely in a blacked out state. I hear what you're saying about people's worst traits coming out more. I've wondered about that with someone I know who is one of the most kind, patient, caring people I know when sober, yet sometimes becomes belligerent and hostile when very drunk. I think that perhaps they repress any negative feelings they have and it just explodes if they're set off at all when they're very drunk. I think that might be part of why they drink to excess; all those feelings constantly being repressed. 

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones. I've lost several people to drug and alcohol addiction. You ever go to Al-Anon? I found it helpful. 

October 9, 2018 7:42 AM MDT

You could be right on the repressed feelings. 

I'm sorry for your losses.

I'm not really a group person. I do a lot of reading though and I tend to gravitate toward counseling when I'm experiencing periods of stress, so that has helped shed some light on how things impact me today and why the people in my life have behaved as they do/did. I'm actually back in school again, majoring in psychology, largely because of those experiences. 
      October 9, 2018 3:18 PM MDT