Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » When Does the American Government Become the Trump Regime?

When Does the American Government Become the Trump Regime?

PARIS—“We are rapidly approaching the moment when we should stop referring to the American government and start referring to the Trump regime.” That single sentence resonates far and wide.

Propelled by the first shock wave after the announced resignation of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, it was liked and retweeted thousands of times, with hundreds and hundreds of replies. Most of them were of the “sad but true” and “we’re long past that” variety. One French friend reminded me that “regime” is the word Americans use to describe a foreign government they are about to overthrow. That’s something to think about.

In any case, since I wrote that line I should probably explain a bit more about what I meant. In fact, as of this moment, we still have a system of government that might save us from the increasingly dangerous trends of the Trump era. But the moment is fast approaching when that will no longer be possible. - Christopher Dickey

Posted - October 7, 2018

Responses

About the time that other nations perceive it as such. My guess is Trump himself already does. 
      October 7, 2018 8:57 AM MDT

Indeed...
      October 8, 2018 4:33 PM MDT

I guess to the extent that any government can be viewed as a "regime" of a particular president or powerful political person.  I would not expect any good press from France or many other countries who are basically anti-U.S. interests.  And many of us applaud some of our president's measures and beliefs which were why we voted for him.  You can dramatically label something this or that "era" but in the end its just a guy who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, as Sharonna has observed, and then is gone.  
      October 7, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

not sure
      October 7, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

October 7, 2018 11:21 AM MDT

Is that the costume he's wearing for Halloween?  Scary! 
      October 7, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

As opposed to the Clinton regime, the Bush regime, and the Obama regime?
      October 7, 2018 11:25 AM MDT

Will that make living in Canada become something like living in South Korea -next door to a dictatorship?

Yikes! 
      October 7, 2018 1:11 PM MDT

No because South Korea thinks that Kim is a Dotard but in Canada we will think Trump is a Hoser. Cheers!
      October 7, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

have no idea
      October 7, 2018 2:02 PM MDT

To those who continue to bleat that Trump was "democratically elected" - so was Adolf Hitler. Will there even be an election in 2020?
      October 7, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Of course there will. How do you even mention Trump in the same breath as Hitler? He has been president for almost two years, and while he is misogynistic and xenophobic, he has shown absolutely no inclination toward becoming the kind of insane dictator that Hitler was.

And he was democratically elected by the same system as every president before him. You need to stop your bleating, because despite all of your wishful thinking and hand-wringing, you can't prove otherwise.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 8, 2018 3:44 PM MDT
      October 7, 2018 10:11 PM MDT

He already GOT elected, there isn't another Presidential election coming up for 2 years - so why is he still holding campaign-style rallies? That's PRECISELY what Hitler did.
    If Trump doesn't want to be compared with Hitler, he should quit acting like him.
      October 7, 2018 10:26 PM MDT

Holding rallies hardly makes him into Hitler. How did you dream up such a ridiculous idea? He's primarily doing it to support GOP Congressional candidates in the upcoming midterm elections.
      October 7, 2018 10:29 PM MDT

And he was holding them at this time last year too, when said candidates hadn't been nominated yet. It's a personality cult, dictators need that.
      October 7, 2018 10:32 PM MDT

If you truly believe such nonsense, then you know very little about Hitler. If Trump ever starts stripping people of civil rights and the right to own property, and orders systematic destruction of property and the killing of entire groups, then I might see your point. Unless and until that kind of stuff happens, then you're just howling at the moon with half-baked BS.
      October 7, 2018 10:51 PM MDT

Thank you. I dislike Trump myself, but these assertions he’s like Hitler are absurd. More reasons I’m proud to not be a fringe member of either side.  
      October 8, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

• Yet, the left can eliminate due process, talk of impeachment and scuttling the SCOTUS, lie, smear, ignore the rule of law, take to the streets acting like spoiled brats, attack, accost people in public places all in the name of "firing up the base" for the midterms and no one is supposed to hold a rally? At least our side still shows signs of civilized behavior unlike the Neanderthal left.
      October 7, 2018 10:56 PM MDT

Yes, this divisive commentary proves how much better you are than Neanderthals. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 11, 2018 12:57 PM MDT
      October 8, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

Don't forget to add that considerable lack of understanding of what's actually happening to that list of the civilized behavior your side is showing signs of.
      October 8, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

October 8, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

And?
      October 8, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

October 8, 2018 3:34 PM MDT

To compare Trump to Hitler is absurd, asinine, and displays ignorance. When he starts mass genocide of humans, strips people of human rights, and tries to take over the world, it’s ridiculous to compare the two. He’s bigoted, sexist, crude, and a bully. He nowhere near compares to the evil of Hitler. He’s also doing a bad job of being Hitler considering his alliance with Israel. This post was edited by Rizz at October 8, 2018 4:44 PM MDT
      October 8, 2018 3:48 PM MDT