Discussion » Questions » Politics » When Does the American Government Become the Trump Regime?

When Does the American Government Become the Trump Regime?

PARIS—“We are rapidly approaching the moment when we should stop referring to the American government and start referring to the Trump regime.” That single sentence resonates far and wide.

Propelled by the first shock wave after the announced resignation of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, it was liked and retweeted thousands of times, with hundreds and hundreds of replies. Most of them were of the “sad but true” and “we’re long past that” variety. One French friend reminded me that “regime” is the word Americans use to describe a foreign government they are about to overthrow. That’s something to think about.

In any case, since I wrote that line I should probably explain a bit more about what I meant. In fact, as of this moment, we still have a system of government that might save us from the increasingly dangerous trends of the Trump era. But the moment is fast approaching when that will no longer be possible. - Christopher Dickey

Posted - October 7, 2018

Responses

All I see displayed is getting elected comparisons - all of the other references you wrote...
      October 8, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

Hitler didn't start with the Holocaust either, he cemented his absolute power first and then started stripping the Jewish population of their rights. His Royal Orangeness is still in the consolidation phase - and may never achieve it.
    DJT has drawn quite a lot from the Nazis, his campaign style and misinformation reads like an excerpt from Mein Kampf on the subject of propaganda. He's just changed the scapegoat, from Jews to immigrants. Same sh**, different details.
      October 8, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

SMFH. By the way, he isn’t against immigration, he’s against ILLEGAL immigration, but don’t let facts ruin your hysteria. There’s a significant difference between people who are here legally and illegally. To be quite honest, people who spew this nonsense make themselves look foolish.  This post was edited by Rizz at October 8, 2018 6:22 PM MDT
      October 8, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

You’ve crossed the line between not liking Trump to hysterical Trump Derangement Syndrome. I don’t like the guy, but I’m astonished by the fringe people who have a sick obsession and hatred with him.  
      October 8, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

I found an equally absurd meme. I’m tired of people comparing people they don’t like to Hitler. This nonsense must stop. 
    Disclaimer: I do not agree with the following meme. I’m using it as example to demonstrate the extremes on both sides are out of their minds.

See how stupid it sounds when they compare someone else to Hitler?
      October 8, 2018 3:53 PM MDT

All I displayed is getting elected comparisons - all of the other references you assumed...

Simmer Down...  BTW - be sure what you call-out a person for...
      October 8, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

I’m calling out people in general on both sides. I didn’t single you out. 
      October 8, 2018 4:13 PM MDT

I’m just tired of of Hitler comparisons. Period. 
      October 8, 2018 4:17 PM MDT

The "FACT' is I never address Hitler's atrocities after he took office, only how he obtained same.

October 8, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

Which is exactly why any comparison between Trump and Hitler is fallacious.
      October 8, 2018 4:52 PM MDT

Wacky Wacky Wacky
      October 7, 2018 10:04 PM MDT

Like right now!
      October 7, 2018 10:14 PM MDT

Dicktator Trump?
      October 8, 2018 1:22 AM MDT

YEP!!  And spelled accordingly...
      October 8, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

Thats just plain stupid.
      October 8, 2018 3:51 PM MDT