Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What are some common mistakes newcomers make while going camping their first time?

What are some common mistakes newcomers make while going camping their first time?

Posted - October 9, 2018

Responses

If camping by water not packing warmer clothes for morning and evening. 
    Forgetting sun block and bug spray. 
    Checking weather. 
    Learning how to set up the tent before going. 
      October 9, 2018 8:02 PM MDT

Glad you mentioned the tent thing. I was debating if I should or not. 
      October 9, 2018 11:09 PM MDT

Tents are fun. You can really hear the night sounds, feel the atmosphere.
    And they get surprisingly warm just from body heat and breath, assuming the temp is not below 50ºF.

Hey! How will we cope while you're gone? This post was edited by inky at October 10, 2018 1:43 PM MDT
      October 9, 2018 11:13 PM MDT

My phone will still work. Thank goodness. :o
    But, I also don't post all that much. I doubt you'll even notice. ;)
      October 9, 2018 11:29 PM MDT

Going camping?  Is it cool enough yet?  I usually feel pretty stupid sitting around a camp fire when its 70 degrees F.  A night temp of about 55 is just about right for me.  It also help keep you cool if you're sleeping in a tent wrapped in a sleeping bag.
      October 9, 2018 8:59 PM MDT

Indeed. I'm apparently going out with a group of Boy Scouts, meaning I'll be responsible for small human persons in the wild. O_o That should be fun, considering I'd never go camping of my own volition and haven't been since I was married. It'll be in northern AZ, where it's already in the 40s at night. My ex got all the camping supplies in the divorce, which is just as well because he'd be the one to use them, but now I'm starting from scratch and trying to figure out what on earth I'm going to need and what foolish mistake I'm going to make in my packing. ...And, the bears are still active, so that should add an extra layer of excitement. yay. 
      October 9, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

We camp a lot.  I just happen to have a pretty complete list of the thing we always try to remember to bring, but we are equipped to spend a week away from civilization.
    What do plan to eat?  Are you cooking?  Whose bringing the tent(s)?  How much time to you have to prepare?
      October 9, 2018 11:00 PM MDT

Yeah, so I got a message from the scout master today that we're going this weekend... not a whole lot of time to plan. Adding to it, I have work and I'm back in school with finals this week. Hahaha. This is going to be fun. 

We're each responsible for bringing all our own stuff, so yeah... I have to figure out everything. I don't even have a tent. Or sleeping bags. We may live off trail mix and pop tarts. Which I fully plan to keep in an airtight container because... you know... bears. In fact, I may not let the kids get into the food at all. Too risky. :p 
      October 9, 2018 11:18 PM MDT

Do you have a van you can remove the seats from and put a mattress in?  That is way better than a tent on hard ground and you set it up beforehand.  Can you borrow one?
      October 10, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

I have a van, but the kids are required to set a tent up and sleep in it to get credit for some kind of badge or something and they won't do it unless I'm sleeping with them. So, the van is out. I have a lead on a tent, but if that doesn't pan out tomorrow I will go buy one. 
      October 11, 2018 12:35 AM MDT

Simple solution...Ask the scoutmaster. Or the scouts. They would probable love to help you when you get there. Your dog can cuddle with you at night if it gets cold. Where are you going? I'd like to look it up on Google Earth. I have to change my response. You said there are some moms and very young elfin ones in your other question. Those are cub scouts. Do they have a den leader? If not and you are a bunch of rookie moms, then seek the help of a seasoned Boy Scout leader or an expert. I can't emphasize this enough. If I can I will contact you tomorrow. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 11, 2018 1:43 PM MDT
      October 10, 2018 2:02 PM MDT

I will reply via PM. 
      October 11, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

Going out alone or with only one other.
    Not practicing putting up the brand new tent at home at least once.
    Not checking weather forecast.
    Leaving it till too near sunset to make camp and running out of daylight.
    Not having and checking an itinerary of equipment, food, sufficient water, medications and emergency/first aid gear.
    Not carrying extra clothing for unexpected changes of weather.
    Not knowing how to read and use a topographic map and compass.
    Not telling others the details of route, destination, names of people in the party, emergency contacts, E.T.A home.
    Not learning the rules for coping with emergencies.
    Not having done a specialized first aid course.
    Not being fit enough.

Or, to cut an interminable list short, failing to research and prepare for all possible things that might go wrong.

This post was edited by inky at October 10, 2018 2:03 PM MDT
      October 9, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

This is a great list. However, it is too late for me to fix several items, like being fit. :o
      October 9, 2018 11:10 PM MDT

• "Not renting a big enough cabin."  (just kidding)

Make sure your sleeping bag is rated for the temperatures it will be used in.
    Pack liquids and delicate items, like tooth paste tubes, in zip lock bags.                  
      October 9, 2018 10:31 PM MDT

lol I'm with you there. That's my kind of camping. Especially when there's indoor plumbing. 
      October 9, 2018 11:07 PM MDT

Besides a camper or RV?

Food.
    Shelter.
    Beverages.
    Fire starter?  Assuming there is no fire ban.
    Basic medical supplies.
    TP.  Bears do it in the woods, you may too.
    I know I’m forgetting somethin,  it I have it packed in the RV.  :D
      October 9, 2018 10:35 PM MDT

Can I borrow your RV? lol Just kidding. Good points. Thanks.
      October 9, 2018 11:08 PM MDT

Sure.  If you want to come to Colorado to pick it up.  Lol.
      October 9, 2018 11:09 PM MDT

Sure. If I plan it just right, I'll spend the whole trip driving. ^_^
      October 9, 2018 11:11 PM MDT

You can pick it up early.  It even has a furnace.  Just don’t step on a furnace register barefoot.  Those things get really hot.  
      October 9, 2018 11:13 PM MDT

Expecting to have a good time, be clean and comfortable, and get a reasonable amount of sleep. 
      October 10, 2018 5:13 AM MDT

probably going cannping, its not nny thing to be honest
      October 10, 2018 10:01 AM MDT

One is not having a reliable means of illumination for after dark, or spare batteries for it. Another is underestimating how cold it will get during the night, especially in the spring and early summer in high latitudes. 

Not usually an issue for first-timers, but one thing that you should remember to do regularly if you have an oldish tent is to check all parts of it regularly (fabric and poles) for damage and to re-waterproof it from time to time.
      October 10, 2018 11:43 AM MDT