Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Will the presence of a black lab keep a black bear away?

Will the presence of a black lab keep a black bear away?

I haven't found a definitive answer to this. Some sources say it's a bad idea to take a dog out into bear country because the dog may aggravate a bear and bring it back to camp and other sources say it's fine and can be helpful to have a dog around. I have a black lab that's about 7 years old and she's normally a very docile creature. She's like 80+ pounds. She likes her people, stays close, and is obedient. I'd keep her on a leash anyway though... mostly because she's a house dog and I don't want to risk her wandering and getting lost. It hit me that she'd probably love going camping with us. She loves all kinds of trips. And, if she will help prevent us from getting eaten, I'm all for it. But, if she's a risk, I'll leave her at home. 

Have any of you had personal experiences with dogs and bears?

Posted - October 10, 2018

Responses

• Depending on snowfall, temperature and food supply, bears get ready for winter hibernation in late November. So you're too early for them to be holed-up already. 

I think there is probably some truth in this movie trailer (one of my favorite Disney movies). Your dog will know the bear is there before you do, so you'll have to watch her closely. Anyway ....

what I'm saying is ... one-on-one, your dog stands no chance, but the human scent should keep the bear away as long as you're careful with your food storage.  This time of year, the bears are hunting for food to build-up their fat reserve, so the way you store you supplies is critical.  I saw a brown bear try to open a Datsun pickup truck in Yosemite on one of my camping trips.  He nearly turned over that little pickup trying to get into it! But he walked right through the campground and didn't bother any of the campers.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 10, 2018 1:36 PM MDT
      October 10, 2018 2:58 AM MDT

If it came to a one-on-one brawl, the bear will always win unless you're armed. However, my understanding is that bears prefer to get easy food, and that means going for smaller creatures and things that won't put up a fight. It's not that the dog would take the bear out, but rather that the presence of one might be an added signal to the bear that anything in the camp isn't worth the fight to get it. And, the dog could serve as an early warning. I have no doubt my lab would smell the bear and react long before we saw it. 

I am really worried about food storage, though. We're taking about 15 kids out and they range in age from less than one year old through 10, with most being in the 5-7 age group. And, they're all city kids. I have about 90% confidence I can keep my own kids in check with their food habits, but some of the other moms going have more kids than I do and they are younger than mine. My confidence-level for them is probably closer to 45-50%. 

How did the other campers (and you) react when they saw the bear coming into camp?
      October 10, 2018 1:40 PM MDT

• The noise of the bear trying to turn over/open the pickup is what woke me up.  As soon as I saw him I had my family (wife & daughter) get into our car. The three of us had been in the back of our El Camino, under a parachute/make-shift tent (no camper shell). Other than us, I didn't see anybody else moving around until after the bear gave up and left the campsite. Then the normal "running around comparing notes chatter" as people started exiting their tents.

About ten minutes later, the bear returned. The people were still out of their tents, building their stories, and when they spotted the bear started yelling and throwing stuff at the bear and it ran back up the mountain. I don't think anyone was hurt, including the bear.

If you're going to Coconino State Forest it might be a good idea to check with the Forest Rangers for current local information.  They can be very helpful and will more than likely know the bear population of the area.  Good luck and have a great time.  :)

October 10, 2018 2:39 PM MDT

Odd that the bear came back with all those people. Glad you guys were all ok. 

Indeed, we are headed up to that area. We won't be far off the main road and I'll pass a ranger station on the way in, so I may well stop and have a chat. Two of the people going have been to that particular campsite a bunch and have camped in the area for years. They have yet to see a bear. But, they are in the area and there are even notices on their website about them, so I'm mostly mentally preparing out of an abundance of caution. 

Thanks!
      October 10, 2018 2:50 PM MDT

• Nothing wrong with being prepared!  If you're going to be near a main road, you should be fine. That will help a lot. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 10, 2018 7:27 PM MDT
      October 10, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

i would hope the dog would protect you but not sure
      October 10, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

Please don't let your fear of bears ruin your trip.  You will be lucky if you see one.  We've been around them a few times.  They always just run away.  One started up the driveway to our campsite while I was sitting on a lawn chair getting some sun.  It looked so much like a dog I just stood up and yelled, "HEY, get out of here!"  It looked as if its feeling were hurt and move to the other side of the road.  Then I grabbed some shoes or somethings to bang together and started toward it making lots of noise.  It then left the area.
    Another time my wife and I were walking around the campground at night.  She went into the ladies room and I headed around the corner to men's room.  As soon as I rounded the corner a 200-300 pound black bear jumped up from the ground onto a tree trunk.  He was clearly startled and looked as if I had caught him being naughty.  I just walked away and resigned myself to having to "go" somewhere else.
    If you take your dog that would be an excellent alarm and I am sure a barking pooch would frighten any black bears off.  There are no grizzlies in Arizona.  Those are the ones you have to worry about. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at October 10, 2018 9:15 PM MDT
      October 10, 2018 9:13 PM MDT