Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Land-line users, how many telemarketer calls do you get each day? I get at least ten, even on Sunday. They are relentless.

Land-line users, how many telemarketer calls do you get each day? I get at least ten, even on Sunday. They are relentless.

Posted - October 12, 2018

Responses

I get an average of ten per day.  I never answer them, but it's almost comical to hear caller ID announce them.  Some of the funnier ones are ...

- the nothing (Stephen King perhaps?)
    - spam call (at least they're honest)
    - new york (plus 31 other states... so far)
    - zzzzzz  (talk about being lazy)
    - 12345 (probably their password too)
    - don't answer (I hear and obey, master)
    - nobody (hmmm... that's who answered it too)

October 12, 2018 1:22 PM MDT

I had two today.  One I did not answer and the other I hung up when I heard her name was Mandy Storm who wanted to talk to me about all my credit cards.  hahaha Hummmm, no thank you very much!
      October 12, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

Used to be worse to the point that I gave up on call divert. Caller display helps a bit. A few exemplary fines from the UK government helped reduce the problem. 
      October 12, 2018 2:04 PM MDT

Why do you have a landline if you also have a cell phone?
      October 12, 2018 2:32 PM MDT

Because I rarely use my cell phone. It is turned off 95% of the time and I have always had a land-line. I know those are lame reasons.
      October 12, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

Those are NOT* lame reasons.
    My mom & dad have a landline and an answering machine.  I call on it often.  Many times our connection is bad on one of their cell phones.  Other times they like us to leave a message so they both can hear it. :)
    Another great reason my mom has a landline is because of my dad's health and their age.  If they can't find their phones, the batteries are out, they have no reception, etc. are all excellent reasons to have a landline.  
    If anything were to seriously happen to my dad and my mom was panicked, I"m sure the last thing she needs to hyper her tension out would be, "where did I leave my phone?"
    Sometimes the oldies are the goodies.
    But you already know that, hu element?  Big smiles!

* When I first posted this, I left out the "NOT."  It wouldn't make as much sense if the body didn't follow the opening sentence.  Sorry Element.  I don't think any reason is a lame reason to have a landline. :) :)
    Thank you Stu Bee for being awesome and knowing I would never say anyone had a lame reason for anything.  I just left out a very important word.  :) :)
    This post was edited by Merlin at October 12, 2018 9:28 PM MDT
      October 12, 2018 6:47 PM MDT

haha
    I have a landline as well...For faxes.
    I get job work orders faxed to me.
    As well some calls I just don't want to talk about it right now
    because am working on another project...call the landline 
    and leave a detailed msg.
      October 12, 2018 5:04 PM MDT

I remember faxes. 
      October 13, 2018 3:56 AM MDT

1. Landline number easier to remember and tell folks. I have multiple mobiles and their numbers frequently change.

2. Cell phone (mobile) rarely on. 
    3. Mobile reception can be dodgy. 
    4. Easier to hear landline. 

This post was edited by Malizz at October 24, 2018 9:00 AM MDT
      October 13, 2018 3:59 AM MDT

A phone number is a phone number, whether for a cell or a landline. Thus, it's just as easy to commit either one to memory. And a cell phone may be turned on or off any time. Not memorizing the number and keeping the phone turned off are simply your choices and not immutable realities.
      October 13, 2018 5:26 AM MDT

My landline has an
    answering machine
    so they probably just hang up.
    The cellphone I have is under attack constantly.
    Have heard that 70-80% of calls are bogus.
    What a scene...

October 12, 2018 4:55 PM MDT

I never really keep count, but eve one is too many. I usually just ignore them. One time they woke me up from a deep slumber and I was too out of it to think so I answered. I annoyed them to the point that they hung up on me and I just shrugged and went back to sleep. That's what they get for disturbing my slumber, a brain dead zombie.
      October 12, 2018 5:57 PM MDT

None.
    We pay a small annual fee to keep our line private.
      October 12, 2018 5:58 PM MDT

Nice!  I would be interested in finding more out about that idea.  If you don't mind asking, how did you have that happen?  Either that or find a way to get me off everyone's speed-dial list. :)  I swear it's everything from insurance to toilet paper.  It drives me crazy!
      October 12, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

Australia has a different system for access to phone numbers.
    Landlines are listed in public telephone books which also have online versions.
    To get the number you must already know the person's name and full address.
    For $30 p.a., anyone can ask to not be listed in the directory. This makes it impossible for telemarketers to randomly select you.
    There is also another method, where you can ring a national number and have your name and phone number listed as prohibited for commercial access. This is a free public service and works automatically.
    All mobile phones here are totally private; no one has the number unless you give it to them.
    Also, harassing someone's number once they've said no is illegal.

Given the number of responses to this question, it sounds like invasive marketing is a serious annoyance for many. So many that if consumers started a campaign to change the legislation, they may have a could chance of bi-partisan support and a win.

One thing to consider is political polls. Some people might still prefer to be consulted on their views. Legislation could make special conditions for this kind of call.

This post was edited by inky at October 12, 2018 7:34 PM MDT
      October 12, 2018 7:18 PM MDT

Thanks Nom de Plume.  It is nice you have that luxury in Australia.  I think we used to be able to something similar here.  It seems funny to me to pay more NOT to have your number listed than to have it listed.  But here nor there, it is a nice option.  We tried having our number unlisted for a while.  When we bought our cell phones for the first time (I think Nokia) they was no phone book and we stopped NOT paying.  By the next year we had been relisted and all the marketers in the world seemed to have them.  UGH!
    Thanks again for letting me know.  Big Smiles!
      October 12, 2018 7:28 PM MDT

• At least once/day.  It's always an automated woman wanting to help me with my student loans.  I've never had student loans.  Each time "she" calls it's from a different number.  I must have blocked over 30 of them already.  Please have mercy on my poor phone, it has a small limit for blocked numbers.  I can't even get a cell number in my area code, but this/these scammer(s) can have them to burn agitating people who are too old to know what student loans are.
      October 12, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Exactly!  
    They are preying on the elderly or the housewives.
    A couple times I've tried to call it back and it won't let me.  You can normally tell.  They try and fake an accent and say they are calling from India or something of that nature.  I sincerely do not understand or grasp the concept of people doing this.  It makes me so sad and mad at the same time. :(
      October 12, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

• I managed to redial and reach a live person (a woman) one time.  She said no one from her number called me and proceeded to puke her vulgarities all over me before hanging up on me.  I was almost impressed as I could picture her giving me a snap & jerk as she tried to push her End button through her phone. 
      October 12, 2018 6:44 PM MDT

Is there a hotline for fraud?
    We have one in our country.
    Otherwise, try the Police.
    It would help save others who might fall prey.
      October 12, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

• They're reported all the time.  Nothing comes of them that I know of because it continues to happen.  I presume most are burner phones never set up with the owners' real names.  I'm also willing to bet they have Location turned off.
      October 13, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

I get a couple of calls each day that I don't answer.
      October 12, 2018 11:58 PM MDT

Once again, that's Randy D trying his best to get through to you!  Hello, Earth to Thrifty Maid, come in, please. Grrrrr. 

~
      October 13, 2018 3:51 AM MDT

• They are getting too frequent even on my cell phone.  I get about 2-3 a day on the landline, a maybe one a day on the cell.
      October 13, 2018 2:05 AM MDT

I have a call blocker that screens all calls only people that I know get through, I get no nuisance calls now.
      October 13, 2018 1:15 PM MDT