Active Now

Zack
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Generally speaking, which of these two following words denote more intensity? ~

Generally speaking, which of these two following words denote more intensity? ~

avid
  devout

Posted - October 13, 2018

Responses

To me, avid - like an avid gun collector.  Devout implies reverence, as in devout Christian.  That seems less intense, quieter to me.
    Besides, avid sounds like rabid.
      October 13, 2018 8:43 PM MDT

Excellent. Pretty much what I would have said. I’m in the avid pro-second amendment group. I’m not a collector but I own a handful and I’m a strong supporter of gun rights. That’s avid and intense. Like you said, I consider devout like a devout Christian, Muslim, or mother. 
      October 13, 2018 8:57 PM MDT

Depends on the context.
    Most devout feeling probably sits in the background of a person's life, informing and directing everything they do.
    But in the second meaning of devout, total commitment implies something perceived as possibly lasting for life.

Avid comes closer to the second meaning of devout in terms of commitment and intensity, even reaching as far as fanaticism -
    and yet for me, despite "commitment", I can imagine avid being used to describe a transient feeling. Someone could be an avid sports fan, and yet later grow bored with it.

I don't think I could generalize either way, because I think it depends how the words are used in context.

~
    devout
    dɪˈvaʊt/
    adjective

1. having or showing deep religious feeling or commitment.
      "she was a devout Catholic"
      synonyms:pious, religious, devoted, dedicated, reverent, God-fearing, believing, spiritual, prayerful, holy, godly, saintly, faithful, dutiful, righteous, churchgoing, orthodox
      "a devout Christian"

• totally committed to a cause or belief.
        "the most devout environmentalist"
        synonyms: dedicated, devoted, committed, loyal, faithful, staunch, genuine, firm, steadfast, resolute, unwavering, sincere, wholehearted, keen, earnest, enthusiastic, zealous, passionate, ardent, fervent, intense, vehement, active, sworn, pledged; 
    ~
    avid
    ˈavɪd/
    adjective

1. having or showing a keen interest in or enthusiasm for something.
      "an avid reader of science fiction"
      synonyms:keen, eager, enthusiastic, ardent, passionate, devoted, dedicated, fervent, fervid, zealous, fanatical, voracious

~

This post was edited by inky at November 23, 2018 11:37 PM MST
      October 13, 2018 9:37 PM MDT

Devout -- sincere, heartfelt

Avid -- having an extreme desire or enthusiasm for

People are often willing to die because of their sincere and heartfelt beliefs and convictions.  That is more intense, to me, than any desire for a thing or any activity possibly could be. 
      October 13, 2018 11:13 PM MDT

not sure
      October 14, 2018 2:40 PM MDT