Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Is there a song from a movie that now, every time you hear it, you think of the movie?

Is there a song from a movie that now, every time you hear it, you think of the movie?

One incredibly strong association for me is "Blessed Assurance" from the very opening of the movie "Places in the Heart"

I love the movie

And besides the very ending scene, this opening credits scene is the scene I remember the most; due in large part to the performance of this song

"Blessed Assurance" has never sounded better to me than this choir's performance for the movie score, 
    Bethel Community Church with a very talented Cheryl Hardwick at the piano

Two stunning minutes for me; give it a listen

:)

Posted - October 14, 2018

Responses

no
      October 15, 2018 10:02 AM MDT

That works for me.
      October 15, 2018 7:46 PM MDT

“Danger Zone”—“Top Gun”
    ”Axel F”—“Beverly Hills Cop”
    ”Don’t You Forget About Me”—“The Breakfast Club”
    ”Ghostbusters” song—“Ghostbusters”
    ”Bad To The Bone”—“Problem Child”

October 15, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

The "Bad to the Bone" - - did the movie use George Thorogood's (spelling?) version? I lvoe it.

Good answers, there, Rizz!

And, hey, I'm posting the Simple Minds song .
    (- - they're my favorite group! I just recently saw them in concert; I asked a silly question about the concert a few days ago -- I think you maybe already knew that because I then, for a while, had trouble editing anything in the question and I asked a question about it -- you answered that one.)

October 15, 2018 7:55 PM MDT

“Problem Child” did use George Thorogood’s version.
      October 15, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

That song rocks!
      October 15, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

Sure does.
      October 15, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

I was just at my other concert question -- I forgot that you had 'liked' the question. So you might have already known that I liked Simple Minds.
      October 15, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

I remembered discussing that with you. 
      October 15, 2018 8:03 PM MDT

I'm sorry for being so seemingly dense, forgetting details about talking about them with you. It's been a hectic couple of days for me with work and this week looms largely with some challenges. Enjoyable ones, but challenging nonetheless.

Boy, every time I hear this song, I enjoy the clear voice lead vocalist Jim Kerr has. Well, actually any Simple Minds song -- his voice really hits me well. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 16, 2018 7:09 PM MDT
      October 15, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

• The theme from "Exodus". I admired this score before I ever saw the movie. It may have charted on Billboard, I'm not sure. 
      October 15, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

That theme is AMAZING!!

As a child, I remember my parents having a recording of it.
      October 15, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

Two that come to mind...
      October 16, 2018 11:52 AM MDT

I have to run off again -- I'll come back at some point later. Sorry! Thanks for answering!
      October 16, 2018 1:03 PM MDT

Weird - - both videos said an error occurred. I'll try again later.
      October 16, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

Looks like that happened to a bunch of YouTube videos on here.
      October 16, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

You're right - - on my computer every video has an error announcement with it. Darn.
      October 16, 2018 7:23 PM MDT

They're back up now. I've always loved the theme from Great Escape, which was released c. 1963. A very distinctive, underrated theme.
      October 16, 2018 8:42 PM MDT

I had not heard this "The Great Escape" theme. I've not seen that movie. But after listening - - I like it, too - - I saw that Elmer Bernstein wrote it. I surely love his "To Kill a Mockingbird" score, too! I thought I'd go ahead and post the opening credits here - - I listened to eight seconds of it and I teared up -- I'm so sentimental lately, ha!

EDIT: Oh, I have to run off now - - I'll come back for the second one you posted. I've got a lot of catching up to do to listen to muggers' posts in my questions!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 17, 2018 11:41 AM MDT
      October 17, 2018 10:08 AM MDT

Is "Alice's Restaurant" song actually from "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"? And this video - - this has to be made especially for the song. Fun!
    I admit I've never heard this entire song. I listened and watched for the entire nineteen minutes!
    That was great.
      October 17, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

There was no connection to "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore." "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" was a ballad by Arlo Guthrie, son of reknowned folksinger Woody Guthrie, about  events that happened around Thanksgiving in 1965. The video was made with scenes from the movie "Alice's Restaurant," filmed on location in 1968 in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts and New York City. The song became a record album and then the film. What's fun for me is that my mom lives for about half the year in West Stockbridge, and our house is about 5 miles up Massachusetts Route 41 from the old Trinity Church on Van Deusenville Road in Great Barrington, where Alice and Ray lived in the bell tower with Facha the dog (and with all the space where the pews used to be figured they didn't have to take out their garbage for a long time) and which we drive past all the time when I visit. Arlo eventually bought the church himself and founded the Guthrie Center there as a place for interfaith worship, musical performance, and art exhibits. There's even a replica on the premises of the red VW Microbus in which they drove around with all that garbage plus shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction, lol.
      October 17, 2018 9:04 PM MDT

Thanks for sharing all that! Very interesting and fun for sure!
      October 18, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

• School's Out by Alice Cooper.  Every time I hear that song, it reminds me of  the movie, "Rock 'n Roll High School" and the movie, "Dazed and Confused".  

The End by The Doors (my favorite band)  - Apocalypse Now

If Six Was Nine (Hendrix), Born To Be Wild & The Pusher (Steppenwolf) -  Easy Rider
      October 16, 2018 2:09 PM MDT

Is The End by the Doors different from The Doors?
      October 16, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

• The Doors sung "The End".  Their song was used in the movie. 
      October 16, 2018 7:29 PM MDT