Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Business » Do service stations normally stock gas cans?

Do service stations normally stock gas cans?

I was out driving this past weekend and came across someone by the side of the road trying to flag down help. We were on a well-traveled stretch of highway, but it was somewhat remote. He said he had run out of gas, so I volunteered to take him to the closest service station. Turns out, the place didn't sell gas cans, so he went person to person in the parking lot to see if he could borrow one or buy one from someone. At the same time, another guy walked up- he, too, had run out of gas and was trying to find a can to buy or a loaner, and the two guys sat there and started a bidding war over one random traveler's gas can. O_o

Is that normal? Don't most service stations sell gas cans? Or should we all be carrying them with us just in case?

Posted - October 21, 2018

Responses

It's illegal to put LPG (liquid propane gas) in any unsuitable temporary containers and certainly not any with a screw top.....how you would squirt in gas without it evaporating or freezing first I just don't know....petrol or diesel cans have to by law be made of steel or un breakable polyurethane containers are sold in every petrol station in England though ....:)D 
      October 22, 2018 1:24 AM MDT

Sherman Tanks refer to petrol as "gas" or "gasoline".
      October 22, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

Tanks talk?
    :|
      October 22, 2018 6:23 AM MDT

Tanks.
    You're welcome!
      October 22, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

Actually, tanks are incapable of referring to anything. However, people refer to the stuff as gas or gasoline. Petrol sounds so odd here in the US.
      October 22, 2018 6:33 AM MDT

People shoot there mouths off and can also go off on one.....:( 

I should know ,as I'm somewhat renowned for going of the tracks at times.....:( 
      October 22, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

*THEIR. Grrrr.
      October 22, 2018 4:01 PM MDT

It seems yore angry with there wat ?    :) 
      October 22, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

*YOU'RE. Grrrr again. LOL.
      October 22, 2018 9:02 PM MDT

I sea yew R still Grrrr'ing up .....:)D 
      October 23, 2018 4:55 AM MDT

"Sherman Tank" = "Yank". Cockney rhyming slang. Had I given that in Australian, it would have been "Seppo" - Septic Tank. Same derivation and meaning.
      October 22, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

So who got the can ?
      October 22, 2018 3:24 AM MDT

One may go to the can at many gas stations.
      October 22, 2018 6:33 AM MDT

Toucan play at that.....and are you taking the P*** again.....     :)D
      October 22, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

The guy I drove got the can. Another bystander rigged up another can for the second guy. It wasn't a gas can and didn't close, but it probably worked well enough for the one emergency use. 
      October 24, 2018 11:27 PM MDT

I think most do. But it would be up to the owner. 

I would have bought a gallon of water and used it as a container. I know it is illegal but have never seen any call the police. 
      October 22, 2018 5:05 AM MDT

That's not a bad idea. Something too consider in the future, I guess. 
      October 24, 2018 11:28 PM MDT

Some service stations stock them, some do not.
      I remember the good old days when some locations would offer "loaners", either for free or for a deposit that would be returned to the customer once the gas can was returned to the merchant.
      A few years ago, I needed a gallon of gas and found myself in the same situation as the two men in your post: no gas station carried them. I asked about loaners, the cashier told me that they had stopped offering them almost ten years previously because people kept them and the shop lost money buying replacements. I asked, "What about offering to I leave a deposit?"  It turns out that the owners considered it too much of a hassle, so they stopped the practice entirely.
      I ended up walking five or six blocks to an auto parts store to buy one, then back to the gas station to fill up. As a result, I keep spare gas cans in the truck of each of our vehicles. If I ever come across someone who needs one, I wouldn't mind giving it away and buying another one later. 
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at October 24, 2018 11:28 PM MDT
      October 22, 2018 6:22 AM MDT

I agree 100%.
    I am  sorry you had to hoof it; but, from your pictures, you're in good shape.  It shouldn't have been too much of a struggle.
    .... Unless, of course,
    it was uphill,
    both ways
    and you were barefoot in 3 feet of snow. ;) ;) 
      October 23, 2018 1:09 AM MDT

You're doing it again, aren't you?  You're probably imagining me half-naked and all sweaty. I'm telling Don. 

~
      October 23, 2018 5:56 AM MDT

Randy, my dear, you are right.   My imagination is only 1/2 the strength of yours.  This picture proves it.

Since you, obviously,  are having to work hard-labor for even 1/2 a body shot and I, obviously,  am lacking the other 1/2 of my imagination...

Let's Make a Deal!!

You dress in a Ralph Lauren Oxford Sports Shirt.  It doesn't have to be Pink.  It can be Rose if you are more comfortable with that description. 

I don't want you to get cold feet.  They will be comfortably nestled in Ralph Lauren, Dezi 3 slippers.

Striking this same pose, I will have my photographer shoot an entire roll of film.

This is the Deal of a Lifetime!

You will finally have the other 1/2 of your portfolio done and I can complete the other 1/2 of my imagination.

It's a Win/Win!!!

Don doesn't mind.  I have photo shoots with all sorts of animals.  They are very rarely dressed.  I certainly don't offer them Ralph Lauren attire...  See how lucky you are??? This post was edited by Merlin at October 25, 2018 2:57 AM MDT
      October 25, 2018 2:46 AM MDT

That's too bad.

It's cool that you're willing to help others though!
      October 24, 2018 11:29 PM MDT

Randy said it all. Nice new look.
      October 22, 2018 7:17 AM MDT

• Most I've seen do, but the cans usually cost more than the gas/fuel they'll hold.
      October 22, 2018 8:12 AM MDT