Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How do you expect the Jewish people to retaliate for the Synagogue shooting?

How do you expect the Jewish people to retaliate for the Synagogue shooting?

As most people know, the Jewish people are very powerful and since the beginning , Jewish people have been able to eventually defeat the enemies.  How might we do it this time? 

Posted - October 27, 2018

Responses

I don't expect retaliation.  The leadership there seemed to have taken measures of protection.  I suppose that will be increased now.  God bless them.
      October 27, 2018 11:49 PM MDT

Retaliate against whom? The police arrested the perpetrator and he will face justice. I would expect more of the kind of expression as in the following email sent by my congregation's rabbi and president:

Dear PSJC,

Our hearts are broken as we mourn with the Jewish community of Pittsburgh in the wake of the terrible shooting at Tree of Life Congregation. There are no words that can capture our sadness today.  And for so many of us, that sorrow is mixed with many other emotions, including anxiety, anger, and fear.

We want you to know that the safety of the members of our community is our highest priority.  

We have been in contact with the NYPD, and appreciated their increased presence at PSJC and other synagogues in New York City, and we will stay in close contact with them in the days to come. Additionally, we will be in contact with our security company to ensure that we have appropriate security at all times. 

This is a time to come together. This evening, under the leadership of PSJC member, Jodi Drezner Alperin, around 100 neighbors (including many from PSJC) came together for a simple vigil in response to this horrific act.  We sang together, prayed together, listened to one another, and reminded ourselves that we can indeed bring needed light to this world—even and especially in the midst of these very dark days.  

Today, Sunday, October 28th at 2pm at Grand Army Plaza, there will be a Youth Vigil for Pittsburgh.  All are invited to attend.  Please take advantage of this opportunity to stand together.  We are rescheduling our Daavening Workshop (originally scheduled for 2pm) to another day so that people who want to attend this vigil will be able to do so.

At 4:30pm, CBE’s communal sing-a-long “We Need to Sing” will allow for moments of memorial as well.  Following the song session, PSJC's Rodfei Tzedek (Social Action Committee) is participating with neighborhood communities in Postcards for Democracy. Click here for more information. 

Moments such as these test our ability to see goodness, to find light or hope in our world.  But,  it is precisely when the night is darkest that we must seek out that light most intensely.  It is when we feel like we are about to give into a sense of despair at the state of our world that we must hold onto hope most tightly.  Rebbe Nachman of Bratslav, who himself struggled with moments of despair, told us what we must do: (Kol HaOlam Kulo Gesher Tzar M'od)  Even, and especially when, the world feels like it is a very narrow bridge—when we are filled with fear and hopelessness—(v'ha-ikar lo lefached klal) the main thing is, not to be afraid—not to let fear or hopelessness take over.  But instead—to step forward together, to create light and love and possibility—and to help to heal our broken world.  

With prayers for Peace, Safety and Understanding, 

Rabbi Carie Carter                                        Ellen Brickman

PSJC Rabbi                                                  President, PSJC

October 28, 2018 12:09 AM MDT

The Rabbi shows an appropriate pastoral response. However if the Israeli military take an interest, I expect them to react disproportionately as usual. 
      October 28, 2018 12:30 AM MDT

The Israeli military has no jurisdiction in the US and Israel is too far away. And how and why would it even if it were logistically possible? This is a US criminal matter that has nothing to do with Israel.
      October 28, 2018 8:45 AM MDT

• Israel does not respect borders. 

The point that we are to far away is untrue.  Israeli secret service agents arrested Adolph Eihman near Buenos Aires, Argentina, on May 11, 1960 This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 29, 2018 9:58 AM MDT
      October 28, 2018 9:15 AM MDT

But EICHMANN was an international war criminal, and it fell to Israel and the Mossad to bring him to justice. The US and Allegheny County/Pittsburgh authorities have this situation under control. Israel has nothing to say or do here. Don't seek or create controversy where none exists.
      October 28, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

• I totally disagree with you. 
    Argentina is a sovereign country.  If the Mossad had every right to go there and retrieve him, why did they kidnap him rather than go through the proper channels?

Also, If you recall ( I assume you are old enough to remember or young enough...LOL),  Israeli commandos invaded Uganda to retrieve hostages being held at the Entebbe airport by PLO terrorists.

Uganda (whether you like it or not) is a sovereign nation and Idi Amin (whether you like it or not) was the president and he said he was working on it (whether you believe that or not). 

Again, another instance of Jewish agression.

Stop being contrary for the sake of being contrary
      October 28, 2018 9:48 AM MDT

Eichmann was a mass murderer being illegally harbored in Argentina, and he deserved what he got. And Uganda was a raid to rescue Israeli citizens being illegally held hostage. No sovereign nation has the right to hold another  country's citizens in captivity. Another instance of anti-Semitic ignorance and hatred, like the gunman yesterday. Why can't you keep it to yourself at a time like this? Nobody's saying anything hostile about homosexuals. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 29, 2018 6:14 PM MDT
      October 28, 2018 10:02 AM MDT

• Facts. We know he was a Nazi Criminal.

The "Nationalist president"  blew the dog whistle

Are you equally enraged about the white terrorist who shot up Krogers and killed several black people? 
    If I go back in history on your posts, will I see you all charged up about the deaths of all those people shot to death by the white terrorist Dylan Roof in church?
    How about all the people shot in Schools shootings?
    Or all the people shot at the Pulse Night Club in Florida?

When the chickens come home to roost, bru

Don't get mad at me for pointing out the truth This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 28, 2018 10:21 AM MDT
      October 28, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

How about those shootings and others? Most happened before Trump came along.
      October 28, 2018 10:23 AM MDT

Thread seems to have drifted off topic about 3rd or 4th post down. 
      October 28, 2018 1:21 PM MDT

Indeed. I have no idea why folks can't keep the hostility to themselves, especially at a time like this.
      October 28, 2018 1:26 PM MDT

• Yes...It drifted after I tried to help Stu Bee understand that he was factually incorrect with his assertion that: 

Israeli military has no jurisdiction in the US and Israel is too far away. And how and why would it even if it were logistically possible

While it is legally true that the Israeli military does NOT have jurisdiction, this has never prevented them before from traveling great distances and ignoring other countries jurisdiction.

My claim remains intact and factual. This should have been acknowledged and accepted rather than debated thus resulting in the digression.

I will argue my point until the cows come home and to call someone a bigot for stating FACTS is bologna

October 29, 2018 9:46 AM MDT

I need neither your help, your condescending manner, nor your anti-Semitism. Thank you.
      October 29, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

• Those underscore a need for control, especially for white males who commit most gun violence  
      October 29, 2018 6:04 AM MDT

Got a link stating white males commit the most gun violence? 

Most gun violence is in the cities....
      October 29, 2018 2:40 PM MDT

• That's why we need gun control. 
    Trump-Shrump, I'm talking about this preferential treatment Jews (and GP Softball games) get when it comes to tragedies like this by conservatives.

For example, the recent mail-bombs... Trump and conservatives are blaming the victims for the actions of a nut because the victims exercised their right to free speech

October 29, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

Jews get preferential treatment? Eleven people killed in a synagogue. Some preferential treatment. You should have refrained from posting and quit while you were ahead. Please keep your hostility to yourself, thanks. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 30, 2018 5:15 PM MDT
      October 29, 2018 9:55 AM MDT

• It's true.
    Facts always seem to befuddle y'all.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 29, 2018 10:21 AM MDT
      October 29, 2018 10:20 AM MDT

So the Dems are simply expressing their freedom of speech but GOP and President Trump are spreading hatred and causing violence....

They all called for violence themselves either to Republicans in general or to administration members or to President Trump himself. They called for violence.

That is not laying blame or excusing it. That man is to blame for his actions.

October 29, 2018 11:29 AM MDT

• Are you really going to sit here and tell me that if someone voices their free speech, it is OK for a conservative to mail them a pipe bomb?

I do not know any dems who called for violence on a republican openly. If you are referring to interrupting a meal...too bad. Stay at home and eat.

What really botheres me more than anything, is that I Conservatves are DEMANDING gthat everyone bow to their ape king, yet they did not give Barack Obama respect.  You reap what you sow, you eat what you grow

The majority of Americans are sick and tired of the hate and misery Trump and his ilk have wrought upon all of us.

Someone needs to tell that orange ballsack to start behaving like President of the US, not just his supporters. 

As a parting shot, if you think that Trump cares one bit about you and anyone else who is a Christian, think again.

He is pure f'ing evil and would throw you personally into the lion’s den if he knew it would benefit his interests.

October 29, 2018 11:52 AM MDT

You may want to read before you respond.

I said specifically it does NOT blame or excuse anyone. The man is responsible for his actions. And you know I said he should be thrown in prison.

You don't know of any Dems who called for violence? Really? Here are what the targets said:

They all called for violence themselves to either Republicans in general or to administration members or to President Trump himself. They called for violence and got it.

Obama was the first to say "get in their face" referring to Republicans generally (I think specifically family members at holidays)

And

"if they bring a knife, we bring a gun"

Hillary  "no civility until Dems have power"

Biden "I like to take him behind the school and beat him"

Holder "when they go low, we kick them"

DeNiro "I just wanna punch him"

Booker "get in their faces" (this time Rep lawmakers)

Harris "Does anyone have to survive?" (Supposed joke about being stuck in an elevator with Republicans)

Waters "create a crowd, let them know they are not wanted anywhere"

Brennan "worrier about blood in the streets"

There are many more such quotes as well.

October 29, 2018 4:31 PM MDT

• AWESOME! You cherry picker you!

Actions speak louder thatn words..

Running over protesters
    Shooting people in synagogues
    Shooting poeople in Krogers
    Mailing Bombs

I have never seen a leftist perpetrate thew violence of a con and the right. 

I'm happy your lunch might get disrupted

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 29, 2018 9:54 PM MDT
      October 29, 2018 9:52 PM MDT

• As your people are out mailing bombs and now one has killed 11 Jews worshiping, you still defend Trump.

That's sickening
      October 29, 2018 9:59 PM MDT