Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How much control do you think the US Government exercises over the news in the US?

How much control do you think the US Government exercises over the news in the US?

And do they even control what entertainment we get to see?

Posted - October 28, 2018

Responses

not sure
      October 29, 2018 7:57 AM MDT

No, that's back to front, you have 6 mogul news and media outlets, and very rich families in private corporations run these, the banking system and the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOP02tSOgXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYfyAQ8lUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9utf4Nmxw

October 29, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

Governments can attempt to control their image and the perceptions of their policies and actions via press releases, speeches and spin.
    But since - in democratic countries - they don't own the media, they can't control it.

The proper job of media is to present all sides of every significant issue. However, because media moguls tend to be capitalist tycoons, most tend to subtly favor the conservative point of view. A small number have a slightly more left agenda, in the sense of favoring social safety nets.
    Neutral media outlets are rare, but Reuters is one which has been reliable since 1851.

Governments have countless ways of controlling information, mainly through tight restrictions on where and how data is kept and who can access it.
    However, no government can control all humans, and therefore leaks occur.

There can be sound reasons for keeping some knowledge restricted. But corrupt and dishonest people will always attempt to hide their associations, records and actions. For this reason, journalists and publically funded investigative offices have an essential role to play; ideally, they are like the B and T cells that seek out and kill disease before it can multiply.

A lot of government data is always available as open source information, but many people either don't know they can Google it, or don't realize its importance.
      October 29, 2018 6:38 PM MDT

Bravo! Well said.  I'm working on a letter to a famous medical doctor and researcher to thank him for his work.  How would you like to edit it?
      October 30, 2018 10:10 PM MDT

If you're serious about the letter, yes.
    You can friend me if you like.
    Send the letter via aM message, and I'll post back the edited version.
    Sounds like an interesting exercise! :)
      October 31, 2018 12:43 AM MDT

Well, I know the Russian Government has a lot of control.

So does anyone who has access to Trump's unsecured phone(s).  An unsecured phone owned by a world leader who is an insecure phoney.

Doesn't that beat all?

I wonder how much control the USA has over other country's news coverage.

Propaganda?  We invented it. Not Russia.  Not Germany.  We are a Nation of LIES.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2018 10:31 PM MDT
      October 30, 2018 10:29 PM MDT