Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What makes a good story? Is it the character build up? The plot? The author's writing style? How the reader imagines the story?

What makes a good story? Is it the character build up? The plot? The author's writing style? How the reader imagines the story?

Posted - October 30, 2018

Responses

Yup -- those are the same things I sort of interpreted from the book.
    :)
    And the movie "The Innocents" leaves interpretations open also! No clear definitive explanations. And very scary to me, like I said, ha!
      November 1, 2018 8:27 AM MDT

Hi Nom de Plume~ Your thoughts and knowledge on this topic are very appreciated.  I see how all those play beautifully in your examples.  I have already cut and pasted my question to documents in gmail.  This way I can refer back to the suggestions made today. :) :)
    Thanks again! 
      October 31, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

Hi Merlin :)
    I'd be interested to read the answers that come back to you via gmail.
    Are you more interested in reading, or writing, or perhaps both equally?
    There are lots of online sites for writers - so many that one can choose the genres, specialities and literary levels. They give heaps of great advice about writing and often mention the foremost exemplars and their works.
    My nearest village happens to have a great second-hand bookshop - often full of literary classics at bargain prices. I read the first page, the last, and one at random from somewhere near the middle. This quickly gives me an idea of whether I will find it interesting, or whether its something from which I can learn. 
    Am currently reading A. S. Byatt's Possession and loving it. Hoping her style will infuse me by osmosis.
      October 31, 2018 11:35 PM MDT

Tildes at the bottom of each page. 
    ~
      November 1, 2018 1:09 AM MDT

The third option. I'm into sf and fantasy, and those genres are pointless if the reader's imagination isn't captured. I'm paraphrasing Tolkien, who wrote to that effect in his essay On Faerie.
      November 1, 2018 1:15 AM MDT

I would say combinations of everything, the plot, the characters, the story telling, the conversations there!
      November 21, 2018 4:25 AM MST