Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What, in your field of work, would be the hardest thing in starting a new job tomorrow? You must start looking for a new one.

What, in your field of work, would be the hardest thing in starting a new job tomorrow? You must start looking for a new one.

Posted - November 4, 2018

Responses

• I currently classify as unemployed.  I'm researching classes at Austin Community College that I could take to start a new business.  I have to apply for a grant (I'm poor) and get accepted so I can start scratching some of my interests off the list. 
      November 4, 2018 10:28 AM MST

There is something very irrevant about Sponge Bob in that position.  :  (  
      November 4, 2018 12:34 PM MST

Hello Sharonna
    I work for myself so I am able to set my own schedule and work from home. If I had to work for someone else the hardest thing would be having to work where someone else sets my schedule.
    Even in my own business I am always working for new clients and the hardest thing is constant, it is determining exactly what that client wants.

November 4, 2018 12:46 PM MST

I start a new job every day I go to work with,travelling to god knows where is the hardest thing for me cope with...:(  
      November 4, 2018 12:51 PM MST

probably getting the job
      November 4, 2018 1:59 PM MST

Becoming accustomed to a new set of people and new surroundings. As long as the job is in the same field with in which I am already trained and qualified, I'll do fine as far as performance is concerned. 

~ This post was edited by Randy D at November 4, 2018 6:30 PM MST
      November 4, 2018 4:02 PM MST

Finding away around my non-compete clauses in my employment contract.  Oh yeah if I get laid off today I have a years salary etc - love EU work contracts
      November 4, 2018 4:37 PM MST

I write for businesses. I create all kinds of stuff- blogs, web pages, whitepapers, brochures, etc. What I'm classified as varies on who you ask. I run my own business and have people work for me from time to time. A few places have a formal contractor agreement in place with me; I officially work for them but under a 1099 versus a W-2. Others might consider me more of a freelancer because virtually anyone can hire me and I pick up one-off jobs regularly. Most of my clients, however, are long-term clients; people I've worked with for years. I know the business owners and collaborate with their marketing and development teams. As such, I essentially work in-house for... I don't know... maybe 15-20 companies, each of which has different project management software and preferred modes of communication. I have probably another 10-15 who are easy and follow my systems. 

The upside to this, of course, is that I could lose several of them and it wouldn't impact me. People think of freelancers and assume they're always hungry and looking for work. I have not looked for work in as long as I can remember. I have waiting lists. The downside, however, is that I get really burned out. My brain is fried and I think there's a chance if one more person introduces me to a different project management tool and insists that I use it, my mind will explode. I'm tired of trying to keep everything orderly and jumping from client to client. 

Lately, I dream of going in-house. I want to work for just one company. Work 9-5, have a straightforward day, get benefits, and have the peace of mind of focusing on just one thing. The catch: I'm apparently not qualified to work in-house. Potential employers consider me a freelancer and assume I have no familiarity with working in teams or simply couldn't hold down a job. Sometimes I want to grab them and shake them and explain that the way I work, I'm holding down 20 jobs at once, all with collaboration. One would be a walk in the park. *sigh* It is not meant to be. I will do this until it kills me or I finish school. 
      November 4, 2018 5:02 PM MST

I think my newly found cousin would like you. She also is a writer. I'll wager she could work with you.
      November 4, 2018 6:13 PM MST

• I am retired now, but I was in Work Comp claims prior.  I think the hardest part of starting a new job in that field would be becoming reacquainted with the current state and federal laws, as well as learning the company's protocol.
      November 16, 2018 8:45 AM MST