Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should those who complain about a caravan of people seeking freedom or help in a new country be allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Should those who complain about a caravan of people seeking freedom or help in a new country be allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Or read the inscription at the feet of Lady Liberty?

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

Sure, as long as I dont have to cook.
      November 6, 2018 12:59 AM MST

What are we to make of this nation built of immigrants who are now made to be afraid of other immigrants, “yearning to breathe free”...

How the mighty have fallen.  So this is Great, again? This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 10, 2018 7:58 AM MST
      November 6, 2018 5:08 AM MST

They are welcome to come to the USA properly. File the proper paperwork and wait for approval. If you sneak in then you should be deported. 

November 6, 2018 5:15 AM MST

Yup, you got it. :)
      November 6, 2018 5:50 AM MST

I agree, for what that's worth here coming from a non-American. For the record, you're not suggesting that this caravan is trying to sneak in, right? Seems like they've been the very opposite of sneaky.
      November 6, 2018 6:21 AM MST

• Yep, they've been waving their country's flag, hurling insults toward our President, beating Mexican authorities, all in the name of America becoming another third world country.
      November 6, 2018 6:26 AM MST

Good point. When I wave my country's flag, either literally or figuratively, I'm demonstrating my love for my country, my pride in my country, my patriotism. Just because I love my own country doesn't mean I hate other countries. When I see others wave their own countries' flags, I have absolutely no reason to think it means anything different for them and their country than flag-waving means for me and my country. If someone is so proud of his or her country, so in love with it, why leave it to come to mine?  If my country is so much better than yours, wave my country's flag, not yours. 
      Since the beginning of the use of flags, waving them upon entering another country has long been an indication of an invasion, or conquest/conquering, crusade, colonization, overtaking, overthrowing, etc. 
    ~
      November 6, 2018 6:43 AM MST

There is a video of them waving the Honduras flag and burning the US flag. That explains more. 
      November 6, 2018 6:48 AM MST

I'm curious.  Since you are patriotic and I respect all your great reasons, why oh why can you ever defend something that totally disparages the military?  Unless he needs a big parade.

STUPID.  Loser.  SIT DOWN.  This is how WHITE DICTATOR spoke to 3 black female reporters asking totally polite, civil questions.

HOW CAN YOU THINK THIS IS OKAY?  

And he is an idiot when it comes to the military.

Donald Trump has disparaged many a group – most recently, he refused to flat-out denounce white supremacy – but his transgressions against the military have been less remarked upon.

The disrespect that the Republican frontrunner for the presidential nomination has consistently shown towards veterans and service members is unprecedented, especially for a member of the party that, at least nominally, prides itself on being more supportive of the troops.

On Friday, on HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher, former head of the CIA and NSA Michael Hayden said that the American armed forces would “refuse to act” if a President Trump actually gave some of the orders that he’s been proposing on the campaign trail. Troops are required to refuse unlawful orders (as would be Trump’s proposed targeting of terrorists’ family members), but the statement reveals a deep antipathy that the defense establishment harbors for Trump. It’s an antipathy that I share as a former US army infantry soldie

Trump’s disrespect of veterans began long before the current election cycle. On the Howard Stern show back in 1997, sandwiched in between a bunch of embarrassing comments about women, Trump compared his sex life in the 1980s to a war experience.

“I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world. It is a dangerous world out there – it’s scary, like Vietnam. Sort of like the Vietnam era. It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier,” Trump bloviated. And while it’s true that being crass and disgusting is the entire point of the Howard Stern show, for someone who wants to be commander-in-chief of the armed forces to indulge himself by denigrating the war experiences of veterans is beyond the pale.

Trump has no way to know if dating has anything in common with combat, because he was a draft dodger. As Tim Mak wrote in the Daily Beast: “When Trump had the chance to join the military and fight in Vietnam, he did not take it. Instead, the rich kid got multiple student deferments from the draft and a medical deferment.”

Trump continued to inappropriately compare his civilian experiences to military ones since the Howard Stern appearance. Last year Trump told a biographer that he “always felt like I had been in the military” because of his time at the New York Military Academy, an expensive military-themed boarding school where Trump’s parents sent him because of behavioral problems.

That might be a uniquely idiotic statement from someone running for president, but it’s an attitude that, as a veteran, I’ve seen before. There’s always a guy at the bar sloppily explaining to you how he was in Junior Officer Training Corps during high school so, you know, he gets it. That guy should never run for office either.

A telltale sign that Trump does not actually know what it feels like to be in the military is his denigration of POWs. Last July at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, Trump said of Arizona senator and former Vietnam POW John McCain: “He’s not a war hero. He’s not a war hero because he was captured. I don’t like people who were captured.” Who would want to go to war for a President Trump knowing that if you were captured in the heat of battle your commander-in-chief wouldn’t “like” you?

When Trump does gesture at supporting the troops, it rings hollow. He offers six figures to buy veterans groups as props to use during campaign rallies, as if risking life and limb for your country can be monetized. And his ads that are meant to show respect to veterans probably shouldn’t feature images of Soviet and Nazi soldiers rather than American troops. To lift one of Trump’s own favorite words: it’s pathetic.

Hayden was quick to point out on Friday that the armed forces wouldn’t foment a rebellion against Trump; they’d just refuse to obey unlawful orders. Nevertheless, it was a big statement that took even the usually nonplussed Bill Maher by surprise.

It shouldn’t have. For all his talk about leadership, something that Trump fails to understand is that real leadership is predicated upon respecting the people that you want to follow you. So far, Trump has only insulted, abused and patronized service members and veterans. It’s shocking that these kinds of tactics have gotten him this close to the White House, but it will never earn him the respect of the armed forces.

November 9, 2018 6:10 PM MST

Bravo. 
      November 10, 2018 7:34 AM MST

• So every future president should have served in the armed forces to qualify for the branch?  Is that what you're saying?
      November 10, 2018 8:22 AM MST

The caravan action is not sneaky, it's extremely publicized, which is by plan. What was a bit unexpected was the way they violently crashed the gates and flooded into Mexico once they reached that border.  
      Can anyone truthfully testify that each and every person who participated in that act of international trespassing then calmly presented himself or herself to the authorities in Mexico to be registered according to the laws of Mexico?  Some people in the United States are wary that the exact same thing could take place when the caravan arrives at its borders. Many people in the caravan did comply with Mexican law, many sought asylum there, many of them were accepted in Mexico, and many decided to remain in Mexico as opposed to continuing north to the US. 
      If I knowingly had no legal right to enter a particular country, mixing in with this caravan is a tailor-made method for circumventing the law.  That includes previously deported persons, felons, criminals, etc. 
      Anyone who is so in love with this caravan action should probably take on the full responsibility for the people who enter his or her country, that responsibility should not be forced upon those who are against it. 
    ~
      November 6, 2018 6:33 AM MST

I don't know it they will go to a border entry or not....we will have wait and see. I know they stormed through the fence into Mexico. Hopefully, they don't try that at US border.
      November 6, 2018 6:44 AM MST

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Nothing about documentation - and the Native Americans didn't demand the passports of the Mayflower passengers.
      November 9, 2018 6:00 PM MST

The Statue of Liberty does not make our immigration policy. We like immigrants....they must come legally. 

Yes, the Indians did not control immigration and look what happened....
      November 9, 2018 6:39 PM MST

What irritates me is that someone has been organizing these 'caravans' with false hopes. Gee, who do you think it is? 
      November 6, 2018 5:35 AM MST

Do you mean Soros? 
      November 6, 2018 5:38 AM MST

Soros among others.
      November 6, 2018 5:58 AM MST

If it is the Democrats, that would be a very clever rouse.  
      November 9, 2018 6:04 PM MST

• DEFEND THE BORDER!

I don't esteem one day as being above another.
      November 6, 2018 5:44 AM MST

Of course they should!  Since when is complaining wrong?  People have the right to think differently than others think, and people have the right to disagree with others. Thought cannot and should not be dictated. Celebrate freedom of expression!
    ~
      November 6, 2018 5:56 AM MST

There are always people seeking freedom in the United States but is that the actual reason behind the caravans? Have you ever wondered who was and is behind the organization of these caravans and their reasons for doing it? A little research can net big revelations. :)
      November 6, 2018 6:04 AM MST

If this caravan action works for those who are part of it and for those who are behind it, what them stops them from turning it into a reoccurring activity? 
      You have just as much right as anyone on the planet to voice your opinion about the subject, and your perspective doesn't have to line up with anyine else's. It is cozy, however, to sit way over there in an island nation that doesn't have a natural land border with a series of countries that have the myriad of problems faced in this situation, and intimate that one side might not deserve Thanksgiving dinner. It's almost as if ships full of people arrived at a bay and displaced the entire indigenous population and their way of life . . . hey wait. 
    ~
      November 6, 2018 6:16 AM MST

I share at least part of the guilt and shame for that (but not entirely, one ancestress was one of those displaced). I am appalled at the treatment of hundreds of refugees by a succession of Australian governments with liquid helium pumps where their hearts should be. I didn't vote for "Stop The Boats!" Manus Island and Nauru are hosts to concentration camps. So I can't be "holier than thou", but at no time in Australian history were a bunch of immigrants saved from starvation by natives, and those immigrants then refused to extend the same largesse to others in the same situation.
      November 8, 2018 4:06 AM MST