Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should those who complain about a caravan of people seeking freedom or help in a new country be allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Should those who complain about a caravan of people seeking freedom or help in a new country be allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Or read the inscription at the feet of Lady Liberty?

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

I wonder if the average Aborigine would agree with your assessment of the benevolence of the white "settlers".
    --
      November 8, 2018 6:08 AM MST

Ergo sum, mate. Genocide it was, but the 31/32nds of my ancestry that was European never begged meals from the aborigines, unlike the Plymouth Rock colony that almost starved to death but for the kindness and generosity of the locals. It's what Thanksgiving is about. Different circumstances, we don't have one.
      November 9, 2018 4:43 PM MST

Once again, that's still the white man's perspective. Please don't pretend that for the Australian Aborigines, there haven't been any negative repercussions to Botany Bay. 
    __
      November 9, 2018 8:15 PM MST

You're misreading me. Deliberately?
    I'm not trying to downplay the impact of European settlement on the aborigines. On the contrary, relatively few white Australians are even aware of the extent of the genocide perpetrated by settlers, at Botany Bay and elsewhere.
    However, the aborigines never provided a starveling mob of refugees with food and succor, which is what Thanksgiving is about. I was pointing out the hypocrisy.
      November 9, 2018 9:02 PM MST

No, that is not what Thanksgiving is all about. It is about giving thanks to God for all He has provided. The first national Thanksgiving was declared to thank God for the end of the civil war.
    It is not all about the Pilgrims and the Indians though that is part of the history. But not what the Pilgrims called it. It was a diplomatic meal.  It was not our first Thanksgiving. Our first Thanksgiving was in Virginia in 1612 as thanks to God for their arrival at Berkley Plantation in Richmond VA. The Pilgrims had what they referred to as their first in July 1623 to thank God for the rain that saved their harvest.
      November 10, 2018 7:25 AM MST

not sure
      November 6, 2018 11:05 AM MST

Hello Slartibartfast
    depends on what the complaint is. If the complaint is "I dont want "them" people here" then I stand with you in condemning that.
    If the complaint however is "we need to have them respect our laws and come in legally" then Yes, they can comfortably celebrate Thanksgiving..
      November 6, 2018 11:17 AM MST

What a goofy question.  Who's going to stop someone from "celebrating" anything. 
      November 8, 2018 12:34 AM MST

Especially someone in Australia, lol.
      November 9, 2018 6:41 PM MST

I don't think they should be allowed to breathe.     That's what I think.  How dare humans on a ball of dirt tell other humans where they can place their lives.  Yes, you need to be documented, yes you need to follow the laws.  BUT MOSTLY YOU NEED TO BE GIVEN A CHANCE.

Sure in a group of hundreds of people there are bound to be mentally disturbed, criminal minded, or just incapacitated physically.  It is not for us to determine what their future will be.  Criminals need to be accountable.  The others may turn out to be Stephen Hawking.

Everyone needs to be allowed a chance.  Everyone who is not a killer.  Everyone who is not violent.  

And maybe we won't find that out until they are here, but it is a fact that there are more naturalized, born in America citizens that break the law than the immigrants who try and make a living here.   If we make a mistake with a few bad apples, does that mean that all the good, destitute people who need sanctuary, need to be turned away?  Is this what we have amounted to?  

People who break the law need to be imprisoned if it is serious enough.  But people who are politely asking at the border what they can do to be admitted into the country, are not breaking any laws no matter how much TRUMP lies about it.

He took away Mike Acosta's press credentials for even asking about his lies.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 9, 2018 8:20 PM MST
      November 9, 2018 5:40 PM MST