Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » I don't believe I've read as much classic literature as I should have by now. Are there any classics you also plan to read "some day"? ~

I don't believe I've read as much classic literature as I should have by now. Are there any classics you also plan to read "some day"? ~

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

• In the infamous word of Pearl, no. :P
      November 6, 2018 7:03 AM MST

I think that would be "not sure."
      November 6, 2018 10:40 AM MST

I can think of no reason to do so. We had to read something by Dickens in High School. It was very boring. Teenagers rarely like that crap and when forced to do so, they may lose interest for life, as did I.
      November 6, 2018 9:53 AM MST

... Element,  I really hate to beg but I know you love it when I do....

So, much to my dismay and your pleasure, I beg to differ.  As I recall, we had to read, "Catcher in the Rye," and I enjoyed it.
    First, it was short.  Second, it was easy to understand and third, it had a swear word or two, if I remember correctly.
    I also remember it because I got an A on the paper I wrote.  :)  That always leaves a happy memory of an assignment. :) :)
      November 7, 2018 5:27 AM MST

Similar to what Merlin said, I remember having to read Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" in high school. It was not my usual for-fun reading. Yet, to my eventual excitement, I realized I was ending up REALLY liking it!  :)
      September 22, 2021 8:15 PM MDT

Lots. I haven't touched classic lit since my teen years and want to reread a bunch of what I read back then too. I think what you absorb from a book changes over time. No joke, the last time I read Animal Farm, I thought it was purely a book about animals with odd personalities, akin to Charlotte's Web. I think I might have been eight or so when I read it though. lol Might be time to revisit it. 
      November 6, 2018 9:59 AM MST

I have read both, too.  I can see how you thought they would be in the same category, especially at age 8.  They both take place in a barn yard.  They both have talking animals AND... they both have death surrounding the plot.  That is a lot of common ground!

Out of the two, Charlotte's Web was much more dramatic and emotional.  It was the first book I cried over, quickly followed by "Where The Red Fern Grows."  That's another tear jerker.

At this stage in your life, if you really want to catch a glimpse at Animal Farm, I would just read the cliff notes.  It was much more important to read  at 17 than now.   That is, unless you like George Orwell.  Then, dive right in.  It's a short read.  As I recall about 80 to 120 pages.  You could knock it out in 3 sittings, easy. I doubt you will shed a tear.  You may.  But, I doubt it.  I would still cry if I read Charlotte's Web again.   
      November 7, 2018 12:55 PM MST

lol I did not catch all those similarities. 

I tend to devour books, so it wouldn't surprise me if I finished it in a day. But, yeah... I don't think I have the heart for Charlotte's Web again either. I remembered that one wrong too. I totally forgot about the deaths until I watched the movie with one of my kids again some time ago. I was devastated. lol
      November 7, 2018 2:25 PM MST

If I haven't read it by now, it isn't likely I'm going to do that any time soon.
      November 6, 2018 10:41 AM MST

no
      November 6, 2018 11:04 AM MST