Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Someone you care about gives you a gift, you find out that they re-gifted* it to you. What do you do? ~

Someone you care about gives you a gift, you find out that they re-gifted* it to you. What do you do? ~

*Yes, I already know it's not a real word. 

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

I don't think anything of it. My family does that a lot.

For many, the holidays are a time to make these big gestures and they have the means to do so. My family and extended family has historically sat on the cusp. There have been some years people have been able to do things like that and other years where people were struggling to make their mortgage payments. I have a few family members who live totally in poverty and always have. Ergo, whatever they give is fine. I'm often regifted things like bubble bath (which I can't use because I'm allergic) and chocolates with boxes that indicate they've passed hands a few times. Considering the source, it's thoughtful that they've spared anything and included me in their giving.

I had a woman give me a rock last year. Not a gem or something she purchased from the store, but a rock she found in the driveway. It was shaped like a heart. I thought it was very sweet of her to do so, mostly because I knew the rock was special to her. She was a little different, I'll grant that, but the spirit with which she gave was genuine. I still have the rock.

I think it's a little different when someone is giving castoffs; things they didn't like and aren't giving with any sort of thought or meaning. I don't think that happens much in my circles. The person genuinely thinks I will like the item and is excited to give. Because of that, it's always appreciated. 
      November 6, 2018 9:45 AM MST

Oddly enough, I found a heart-shaped rock in Maine.
      November 6, 2018 9:47 AM MST

I would keep it if I needed it. If I already have one, I would tell them.
      November 6, 2018 9:49 AM MST

give it to sonneone else if i dont want it
      November 6, 2018 11:01 AM MST

Surprise, Randy ... "Regift" IS a word, according to the Merriam Webster online dictionary

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regift
      November 6, 2018 11:16 AM MST

• Trash, unless it's money.
      November 6, 2018 12:26 PM MST

• "Thank them."
      November 6, 2018 12:46 PM MST