Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Many of my favorite songs tell a story. What's your favorite story-telling song? *Inspired by Welby who brings us all great movies & songs

Many of my favorite songs tell a story. What's your favorite story-telling song? *Inspired by Welby who brings us all great movies & songs

Posted - November 6, 2018

Responses

Oh my. There are so many. This is probably my favorite. 

The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel
    Grandpa by the Judds
    Almost Lover by Fine Frenzy
    November Rain by Guns n Roses
    Damien Rice's I Don't Want to Change You or Rootless Tree
    Cam's Burning House
    Wild Horses- of course by the Stones, but I love the version by the Sundays
    Five Finger Death Punch- Wrong Side of Heaven
    The Night We Met- Lord Huron
    Liar- the Wrecks

I could do this all day and miss some. 
      November 6, 2018 11:13 AM MST

I had forgotten about The Boxer by Simon and Grafunkle.   It just gave me goosebumps!!

Sometimes when I listen, it brings tears to my eyes.  It's a very powerful song with a punch.
    This is one many of us can relate to.

It's cool when songs tell a story..  They take you on a ride.  Good or bad.  You can forget your own troubles and listen to theirs.
    All of these are fab!

Thanks JA. 
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 6, 2018 7:53 PM MST
      November 6, 2018 11:33 AM MST

Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan recorded a huge favorite of mine -- "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

:)

November 6, 2018 7:53 PM MST

I bought that album... back in the day when people bought albums. lol I think it actually came as a jump drive. O_o
    I get to see Steven Page later this month!!!! SOOOOOOO Excited!
      November 6, 2018 8:37 PM MST

Every now and then, songs that I've liked and never have known the bands' names -- at least, two songs in that category and I found out by chance it was the Barenaked Ladies.
    :)

I assume Steven Page is part of the band. I'm unfamiliar with any of the band's details, just their name.
    ;)
      November 7, 2018 8:36 PM MST

Ah. Yes. Of the three men standing up on the image in your video, he's the center one. :)
      November 7, 2018 9:42 PM MST

• A story about/within a story.

November 6, 2018 11:36 AM MST

What a beautiful song.  I love the fact it was made of many colors.  It shows love doesn't have a color at all and sealed every stitch with a kiss!

Thanks Wakko!
    :) :)
      November 6, 2018 11:50 AM MST

Hello there Merlin
    There are so many, been running them all through my mind. To narrow it down to just 1 or 2 is quite a task.
    I keep coming back to these 2
    First is Rush, 2112. 
    https://youtu.be/AZm1_jtY1SQ
    This tops my list for what I feel is its importance to individuality.
    It is 20 minutes long and was quite a risk for the band. After being told they would have to record more commercial pieces or they would be dropped by their record company, they came back with this, knowing they would most likely be dropped, but it was too important to them that they not lose themselves to the herd. It may not be for everyone's tastes, but its influence is undeniable.
    Second is Bohemian Rhapsody.
    https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ
    Although the meaning of this song is speculation, as freddy never detailed the meaning, the narrative that I believe is most likely to be correct
    is that this was about the struggle he had coming out, how he was basically killing his "old" life and entering a new one and how he might be judged. With this in mind, his composition was a Masterpiece in story telling.
      November 6, 2018 11:52 AM MST

Hi designer~
    Unfortunately, I don't have the Rush album and don't recall ever sitting down and actually listening to what they were singing about.  Granted, I've sung the words but not given much thought to what they meant.  I think it's time I take that 20 minutes and really understand the struggles they were put through.
    I do know there was a time in the commercial music business where many artists were getting demands put on them.  They were being forced to compromise what they were about to make a quick buck.  It was very sad.   Rush is a band that didn't get the attention it deserved to begin with.  An excellent band, in my opinion, that needed to be heard.

Bohemian Rhapsody~ WOW!  Definitely a story!  A sad but good one at that.  Freddy was a master.  I heard on the 95.5 morning show that Bohemian Rhapsody is a song that all radio stations will play.  Well, not just instrumental but all radio stations from blues/jazz, soft rock, country, and of course, classic rock, will play if requested.  What an honor.  I hope he knows, he made a statement.  A HUGE statement and will be remembered for standing up, putting it out there, and being a musician well-worth remembering, permanently.  

Thanks designer!

This post was edited by Merlin at November 6, 2018 7:53 PM MST
      November 6, 2018 12:16 PM MST

Hello there Merlin...
    When I was growing up, in elementary school, I played a snare in our little school orchestra. By the time I got to high I was comfortable behind a complete kit. I gravitated to more Jazz and fusion style music. While my friends were all listening to Led Zeppelin and the Who and such, I was listening to Chick Korea and Maynard Ferguson. Bands and songs like 2112 and Bohemian rhapsody offered me a door into a different genre and introduced me other Bands. Led Zeppelin became a favorite because I saw and appreciated their composition.

November 6, 2018 1:00 PM MST

I always wanted to play the drums.  My parents about laughed me out of the house when they heard that was the instrument I wanted to play.  Instead, I was taught the piano.  I never practiced.  There are 2 songs I can play.  Bridge Over Troubled Water and The Homecoming.  Hindsight sets in and now I regret not practicing and putting up such a fuss about the whole scenario.  To even have a piano was a big deal and I never appreciated it.  Humph!  What a Brat!
    The first drummer I ever appreciated was Phil Collins when he was with Genesis.  I am a terrible dancer and maybe that is why subconsciously I wanted to play the drums.  I hear the off beat in  almost every song.  I've become a little better but not by much!
    One of the best keyboardists who always blows my mind is Rick Wakeman.  I went to a "Yes" concert and to this day it is one.... if not The Best concert I have ever seen. 
    Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites, too.  :) :)  Do you think it is true that they took the Led Zeppelin name because someone told them their music would go over like a led balloon?
      November 6, 2018 1:19 PM MST

Hello again Merlin...
    It is never to late to start, get a pair of sticks and a pad and you're off...
    I played up through my 20;s when I got married and had kids. No time for playing, sold the drums and put away the sticks. Picked em back up about a year and a half ago when at the encouragement of a friend I sat with a band during an open jam night. It took all of 2 seconds to realize I had to play again. I have put together a set and am now playing with a few guys...
    Oh Yes, Phil is most definitely a huge influence in the music world, and YES!!!,,,YES!!!...  
    John Bonham was so good. He did things that you dont necessarily recognize structurally but amazingly enhances the music. His ghost stroke shuffle in Fool in the Rain, that is where Jeff Porcaro took his inspiration for his work in "Rosanne", or Bonhams use of over laying time signatures...
    Yes, I have heard that explanation for the name as well....

November 6, 2018 1:50 PM MST

• Iris DeMent - "Our Town"

November 6, 2018 11:59 AM MST

Not only a great song but a great video too!! 

... even though the sun sets down every night,
    One thing's for sure
    the very next morning our friendship is still
    a delight!

Thanks ALF!  It's great to see you!

Big Smiles and hugs

November 6, 2018 12:28 PM MST

• Glad to be here ... glad you are too!  :)
      November 6, 2018 12:42 PM MST

!
      November 6, 2018 1:01 PM MST

I've never heard this music before....but really liked it....:)
      November 7, 2018 2:23 PM MST

• I'm glad you liked it and am sorry that it's the first time you've heard it because that means you also missed a very good TV series called "Northern Exposure." This song was used in the final episode as the closing song.  DeMent added the "I buried my mama and I buried my pa" verse for the TV show and has added, what seems to be the last verse, since then.

November 7, 2018 2:48 PM MST

It's funny ....I can tell within the first few seconds of hearing someting new weather im going to like the music or not....:) 
    I put the Weather word in to give Randy D something to do.....That man needs cheering up big time...:(
      November 7, 2018 3:28 PM MST

I liked that show very much, too!  I haven't seen it in years.  Do they even show the reruns?  Joel and what was her name?  The pilot?  I can't remember now it was so long ago.  Chris, was the radio-philosophical dude....

I didn't know they used it in their last episode.  Cool ALF!! :) :)  
      November 7, 2018 10:56 PM MST

• They showed reruns in Canada for a while.  I'm not sure if they still are though.

Joel and Maggie, or as they called each other ... Fleishman and O'Connell.
      November 8, 2018 2:22 PM MST

This is my favorite:   And  'Scenes from an Italian Restaurant'...Billy Joel. Wait...I forgot Dylan's 'Tangled up in Blue' There are too many.

This post was edited by Element 99 at November 6, 2018 11:12 PM MST
      November 6, 2018 1:30 PM MST

Ahhh Yes...  Ol' Harry~  This is another that brings tears to my eyes from time to time.  All three are outstanding choices and some of my favs, too!  Big Smiles!
     Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I went to work and then frantically worked on the house until now which is 3:15 am.  But, never too late to come back to my question and appreciate friends.

Thanks Element! 

Just so you know, I'm making yet another list.  A list of these songs because sometimes it is nice to listen to stories that other people have lived or made for our enjoyment. 

November 7, 2018 4:15 AM MST